Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert FF (feed form) in text file so that when printing the printer print on a new page accordingly Post 303028680 by jcdole on Saturday 12th of January 2019 01:15:07 PM
Old 01-12-2019
Insert FF (feed form) in text file so that when printing the printer print on a new page accordingly

Hello.
First happy new year to everybody.

I have a script that generate a text file ( /tmp/part_list.txt for example ).
This file can be edited using a kde graphical text editor like kate or kwrite
The file can be printed out from command line or within the text editor using the print option menu.

Code:

echo "" > /tmp/part_list.txt
echo "" > /tmp/part_list.txt

for A_DEVICE in $(lsblk --noheadings -o kname) ; do...
        CUR_DEVICE="$A_DEVICE"      # A_DEVICE = /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc .....  
        gdisk -l "$CUR_DEVICE"  >>  /tmp/part_list.txt  2>&1

done

Now I would like to add the code so that when printing the file "/tmp/part_list.txt" the printer change page after each device
Something like that :

Code:

echo "" > /tmp/part_list.txtecho "" > /tmp/part_list.txt

for A_DEVICE in $(lsblk --noheadings -o kname) ; do...
        CUR_DEVICE="$A_DEVICE"      # A_DEVICE = /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc .....  
        gdisk -l "$CUR_DEVICE"  >>  /tmp/part_list.txt  2>&1
        echo "some code that printer understand as do FF" >> /tmp/part_list.txt  
done

And then the file "/tmp/part_list.txt" contains some thing like :

Code:
device : /dev/sda

ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
0x0c  or  do FF or .....?
device : /dev/sdb

ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text0x0c  or  do FF or .....?
device : /dev/sdc

ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text
ligne of text

Any help is welcome.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Form Feed...

Hi, I've a text file that has a formfeed character at the beginning. I want to get rid of this formfeed character using sed. But I don't know how to specify the formfeed character. I've tried \014 (octal for formfeed), \f but still not works. Regards, Johnny (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnny_woo
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disable form feed on a serial printer connected to Sco OpenServer

I connected a serial printer to my scoOpenServer which works great. I was able to disable the banner in the interface of the printer. However i am unable to find the command in the interface to disable the formfeed . Below is a copy of the interface file. Please can anyone instruct me on how to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scoman2
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Page feed in Troff

Hi, does anyone knows how to give the page feed command to Printer in troff. Actually I want to implement the functionality where I'll print say 10 pages and I want user to stop printer at 5th page to do manual feed by user .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpmore
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace last form feed with line feed

Hi I have a file with lots of line feeds and form feeds (page break). Need to replace last occurrence of form feed (created by - echo "\f" ) in the file with line feed. Please advise how can i achieve this. TIA Prvn (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

5. AIX

AIX printer and extra blank page after each print

Guy's I have installed AIX direct Network printer as the below details.... printer1 hp@printer1 hplj-3 (HP-GL/2) Printer is printing fain and clearly but it's printing extra blank page after each print ? What's the couse of this problem ? Pls advice ! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
6 Replies

6. AIX

Printer delay before final form feed

Hi, I am new to printing with Unix (AIX on HP). I am printing from a COBOL program. On our test system the page prints and does a Form Feed to the next page. This is good. When I release the program to our customer it prints the page but waits 5 or more seconds before doing a page... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: habler
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

print formatted text to the printer

Hello!!! I am using shell script that print some formated text on the screen (example) ======== hello I am ... ======== Is it possible to print this information to the printer exactly as I see it on the screen??? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdev457
6 Replies

8. AIX

AIX Printer Issue: Blank Page Printing.

We have configured Network printers in AIX 6.1. We are facing a Weird problem in Printing. While printing the user is getting a blank page after 2 pages. Please let us know the cause of this issue and ways to rectify it. If this is problem with banner/feeds how to view the default banner... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sugan_p
1 Replies

9. Slackware

Printer won't print but 1 page

OS: Slackwar 13.37 Printer: hpDeskjet 1000 j110 Printer Drivers/Software: HPLIP 3.11.3a (min was 3.10.9) and Cups The printer will print the first of n-pages but from page 2 on it prints the page (or part of it) backs up and starts again down about 0.8 lines and does this repeatedly till the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print a python script down a list in a text file without printing a lot combinations

In a python script I have 2 files printing side by side on the same line. I want to have 1 of the files to be already displayed at once while the other file print down the list in the file and it still will produce new lines. I want to do it like that to reduce printing a lot of lines and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigvito19
0 Replies
classes.conf(5) 						    Apple Inc.							   classes.conf(5)

NAME
classes.conf - class configuration file for cups DESCRIPTION
The classes.conf file defines the local printer classes that are available. It is normally located in the /etc/cups directory and is gener- ated automatically by the cupsd(8) program when printer classes are added or deleted. Each line in the file can be a configuration directive, a blank line, or a comment. Comment lines start with the # character. DIRECTIVES
<Class name> ... </Class> Defines a specific printer class. <DefaultClass name> ... </Class> Defines a default printer class. Accepting Yes Accepting No Specifies whether the printer is accepting new jobs. AllowUser [ user @group ... ] Allows specific users and groups to print to the printer. DenyUser [ user @group ... ] Prevents specific users and groups from printing to the printer. Info text Specifies human-readable text describing the printer. JobSheets banner banner Specifies the banner pages to use for the printer. KLimit number Specifies the job-k-limit value for the printer. Location text Specifies human-readable text describing the location of the printer. OpPolicy name Specifies the operation policy for the printer. PageLimit number Specifies the job-page-limit value for the printer. Printer Specifies a printer that is a member of the printer class. QuotaPeriod seconds Specifies the job-quota-period value for the printer. Shared Yes Shared No Specifies whether the printer is shared. State idle State stopped Specifies the initial state of the printer (Idle or Stopped) StateMessage text Specifies the message associated with the state. StateTime seconds Specifies the date/time associated with the state. SEE ALSO
cupsd(8), cupsd.conf(5), mime.convs(5), mime.types(5), printers.conf(5), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 29 April 2009 CUPS classes.conf(5)