Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File globbing order
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File globbing order Post 303028633 by Scrutinizer on Friday 11th of January 2019 03:07:44 PM
Old 01-11-2019
Hi, the order is in collating order (the first-to-last order of characters in the code set).

Quote:
If the pattern matches any existing filenames or pathnames, the pattern shall be replaced with those filenames and pathnames, sorted according to the collating sequence in effect in the current locale. If the pattern contains an invalid bracket expression or does not match any existing filenames or pathnames, the pattern string shall be left unchanged.
Shell Command Language

Note that XYZ*.txt will only match one of the two files that you mention, since the other one starts with XYX
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk / bash globbing question

I would like to process a list of files matching: GPS*\.xyz with an awk script. I would then like to output the files to GPS*\.xyz.out (e.g. the same file name appended with .out). Something like: awk '{if(NR==1) {offset=-$1}; $1=$1+offset; print }' GPS*.xyz this does exactly what I want EXCEPT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franzke
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Globbing slash Wildcarding Question

I am on HP-UX and I am trying to come up with a method to call in a list of files named like so. filename020107.dat filename020207.dat filename020307.dat Obviously I can list them ls them like so, ls filename*.dat. In case you did not notice the number is a date and I was hoping to match... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

globbing, $# is too high after wildcard expansion in bash script

How can I pass in an argument such as "*.k" to a bash script without having to double-quote *.k and not having *.k `glob` to match all files in the pattern? I tried using noglob in my script but this didn't work the way I thought it would.. expansion is still occuring, $# is higher than I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoo591
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a file in reverse order of another file

Hi, I have a requirement where i need to write a script to create the new file from the given input file with the data in reverse order (bottom to top) Sample data: Input File-------------- Java VB Oracle Teradata Informatica Output file:----------------- Informatica Teradata Oracle... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Order file by lines

My script(3 arguments $1 = folder,$2 extension,$3 string) should do the following things: -Enter in the folder of $1(if exists). -Put ls *.$2 > temp.txt ( I use a temp file to store the result of ls command and if $2 = txt in this file I'll have all the .txt files of the folder) -Now I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Max89
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Write to a file in a specified order

This is my input file : FCBAFE572C5E4BA29B3F8030BD480A94,907 ,1/1/2003,12/31/2005,ACT,1,2010-05-07 04:42:26.380000 2345AD5D2BFB29C821C1BC3DE8B746A7,907 ,1/1/2004,1/31/2005,ACT,1,2010-05-07 04:42:26.380000 E45B7371EEC0D1AB00E1750B5BC661F7,907 ,1/1/2004,12/31/2006,ACT,1,2010-05-07... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpsridhar
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Globbing or not globbing

Hi guys, Here is a simple script. It writes the current time to specific files in a directory. The arguments are the names of the files to write the date to (without path nor extension). root:~# cat /usr/local/bin/dummy.sh #!/bin/sh -e for file in $@; do date >> /var/lib/$file.dat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File globbing questions

hi guys, jus some file globbing questions sed "s/^.*on//" what does the full stop and asterisk means? i onli know that ^ means inverse or not (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ment0smintz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Negation in Bash Globbing

$ ls -1 a.1 b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1 $ ls -1 * b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1 $ ls -1 ** a.1 b.1 x_a.1 x_b.1The last result is not as expected. Why? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carloszhang
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulation row order in file

Hello, I am trying to replace the position of each row by the next row. OS: Ubuntu 18.04, bionic I'd appreciate your help. input_file: -O fileA wget http://x.y.z./a -O fileB wget http://a.b.c./d -O fileC wget http://q.f.s/t .. .. .. -O fileZZ wget http://r.t.y/u I expect: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies
glob.h(3HEAD)							      Headers							     glob.h(3HEAD)

NAME
glob.h, glob - pathname pattern-matching types SYNOPSIS
#include <glob.h> DESCRIPTION
The <glob.h> header defines the structures and symbolic constants used by the glob(3C). The structure type glob_t contains the following members: size_t gl_pathc /* count of paths matched by pattern */ char **gl_pathv /* pointer to a list of matched pathnames */ size_t gl_offs /* lots to reserve at the beginning of gl_pathv */ The following constants are provided as values for the flags argument: GLOB_APPEND Append generated pathnames to those previously obtained. GLOB_DOOFFS Specify how many null pointers to add to the beginning of gl_pathv. GLOB_ERR Cause glob() to return on error. GLOB_MARK Each pathname that is a directory that matches pattern has a slash appended. GLOB_NOCHECK If pattern does not match any pathname, then return a list consisting of only pattern. GLOB_NOESCAPE Disable backslash escaping. GLOB_NOSORT Do not sort the pathnames returned. The following constants are defined as error return values: GLOB_ABORTED The scan was stopped because GLOB_ERR was set or (*errfunc)() returned non-zero. GLOB_NOMATCH The pattern does not match any existing pathname, and GLOB_NOCHECK was not set in flags. GLOB_NOSPACE An attempt to allocate memory failed. GLOB_NOSYS Reserved. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
glob(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 10 Sep 2004 glob.h(3HEAD)