Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue with "rsh" on RedHat
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Issue with "rsh" on RedHat Post 303028613 by gull04 on Friday 11th of January 2019 06:28:59 AM
Old 01-11-2019
Hi Folks,

I said at the begining of this thread that it should have been posted in the Unix for Dummies section and as it transpired that was correct.

When we build servers like these there is a process, it is a bit convoluted - but it delivers the desired end result. But that would appear to be when one person works on it.

The problem turned out to be the firewall had been turned back on by one of our offshore people, I had already stopped the service as per the build standard and created all the support users, one of them had - whilst setting up his environment decided to have a look around the server and contrary to what he was supposed to do. He started the firewall because he assumed that the server would need it!

Turning off the firewall resolved the problem, but didn't get me back the missing day!

Many thanks for all the suggestions and assistance on this.

Regards

Gull04
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to gull04 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failed to check status code in "rsh" command

Hi folks, I wrote a ksh program which run scripts from remote server. To check the status code I wrote the following function: check_remote_status() { status_code=`tail -1 $installLog` if ] ; then echo $errMsg | tee -a $installLog exit 1 else echo $validMsg >> $installLog fi... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. AIX

xx=`date +"%a %b %d"`;rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz ?

AIX 4.2 I am trying to do an rsh grep to search for date records inside server logs by doing this : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz gives : grep: 0652-033 Cannot open Jun. grep: 0652-033 Cannot open 11. But if I do : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` grep "^$XX" zzz it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

4. AIX

rsh server "script..." which $PATH is used ?

When running a script on a distant server via rsh, what is the $PATH used ? I had done a script in the /usr/local/bin but the rsh reported it did not find it. So I assume it is using a separate $PATH but how can I find out ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

"if" and "then" statement is not working in RedHat

Dear experts, I'm trying to write a script to calculate the usage of Log Archive in a directory, so if it gets to a point where the directory size is 60%, then send out an FYI.. email. So if then it reaches to 80%, move the logs from that directory. I have written the script as follow but... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afi_Linux
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

""Help Me!""Beginner awk learning issue

Hi All, I have just now started learning awk from the source - Awk - A Tutorial and Introduction - by Bruce Barnett and the bad part is that I am stuck on the very first example for running the awk script. The script is as - #!/bin/sh # Linux users have to change $8 to $9 awk ' BEGIN ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
Net::Config(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  Net::Config(3pm)

NAME
Net::Config - Local configuration data for libnet SYNOPSYS
use Net::Config qw(%NetConfig); DESCRIPTION
"Net::Config" holds configuration data for the modules in the libnet distribution. During installation you will be asked for these values. The configuration data is held globally in a file in the perl installation tree, but a user may override any of these values by providing their own. This can be done by having a ".libnetrc" file in their home directory. This file should return a reference to a HASH containing the keys described below. For example # .libnetrc { nntp_hosts => [ "my_preferred_host" ], ph_hosts => [ "my_ph_server" ], } __END__ METHODS
"Net::Config" defines the following methods. They are methods as they are invoked as class methods. This is because "Net::Config" inherits from "Net::LocalCfg" so you can override these methods if you want. requires_firewall HOST Attempts to determine if a given host is outside your firewall. Possible return values are. -1 Cannot lookup hostname 0 Host is inside firewall (or there is no ftp_firewall entry) 1 Host is outside the firewall This is done by using hostname lookup and the "local_netmask" entry in the configuration data. NetConfig VALUES nntp_hosts snpp_hosts pop3_hosts smtp_hosts ph_hosts daytime_hosts time_hosts Each is a reference to an array of hostnames (in order of preference), which should be used for the given protocol inet_domain Your internet domain name ftp_firewall If you have an FTP proxy firewall (NOT an HTTP or SOCKS firewall) then this value should be set to the firewall hostname. If your firewall does not listen to port 21, then this value should be set to "hostname:port" (eg "hostname:99") ftp_firewall_type There are many different ftp firewall products available. But unfortunately there is no standard for how to traverse a firewall. The list below shows the sequence of commands that Net::FTP will use user Username for remote host pass Password for remote host fwuser Username for firewall fwpass Password for firewall remote.host The hostname of the remote ftp server 0 There is no firewall 1 USER user@remote.host PASS pass 2 USER fwuser PASS fwpass USER user@remote.host PASS pass 3 USER fwuser PASS fwpass SITE remote.site USER user PASS pass 4 USER fwuser PASS fwpass OPEN remote.site USER user PASS pass 5 USER user@fwuser@remote.site PASS pass@fwpass 6 USER fwuser@remote.site PASS fwpass USER user PASS pass 7 USER user@remote.host PASS pass AUTH fwuser RESP fwpass ftp_ext_passive ftp_int_passive FTP servers can work in passive or active mode. Active mode is when you want to transfer data you have to tell the server the address and port to connect to. Passive mode is when the server provide the address and port and you establish the connection. With some firewalls active mode does not work as the server cannot connect to your machine (because you are behind a firewall) and the firewall does not re-write the command. In this case you should set "ftp_ext_passive" to a true value. Some servers are configured to only work in passive mode. If you have one of these you can force "Net::FTP" to always transfer in passive mode; when not going via a firewall, by setting "ftp_int_passive" to a true value. local_netmask A reference to a list of netmask strings in the form "134.99.4.0/24". These are used by the "requires_firewall" function to determine if a given host is inside or outside your firewall. The following entries are used during installation & testing on the libnet package test_hosts If true then "make test" may attempt to connect to hosts given in the configuration. test_exists If true then "Configure" will check each hostname given that it exists perl v5.16.3 2014-06-17 Net::Config(3pm)