Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a pseudo-array in dash, (POSIX). Post 303028587 by Don Cragun on Thursday 10th of January 2019 05:04:16 PM
Old 01-10-2019
If your array elements do not contain <newline> characters and do not contain elements that are longer than 2047 bytes, you could always use a plain text file as your array with each line in the file being an array element. You can then use shell for and/or while loops to process array elements in sequence.

If you need random access to array elements, you could use ed to access or replace individual elements in your array directly without affecting other elements (lines) in your array (file).

Without knowing more about the data you want to put into your array and what you want to do with your array after you create it, there are lots and lots of possibilities (many of which might be completely impossible for what you might actually be trying to do).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a dynamic array in ksh

Hi, Is it possible to create a dynamic array in shell script. I am trying to get the list of logfiles that created that day and put it in a dynamic array. I am not sure about it. help me New to scripting Gundu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating array variable

Hi all, i am quite fimiliar with shell scripting but i wouldn't regard myself as a semi professional at it. I am trying to create an array variable to read in 4 lines from a file using head and tail command in a pipeline and store each line into each array. I have done the scripting in unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
2 Replies

3. Solaris

pseudo: [ID 129642 kern.info] pseudo-device: vol0

Hi I have a system that gave me some messages on bootup that I was not used to seeing: pseudo: pseudo-device: vol0 genunix: vol0 is /pseudo/vol@0 these came with these: Feb 13 17:42:17 system1 eri: SUNW,eri0 : 100 Mbps full duplex link up Feb 13 17:42:21 system1sendmail: My unqualified... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mndavies
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a dynamic array

i want to create an array the array elements are populated depending upon the number of entries present in a data file The data file is created dynamically how to achieve the same thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

5. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating variable array name

#!/bin/ksh #export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:~dialp/cso/classes:/opt/oracle/product/8.1.6/jdbc/lib/classes12.zip #export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/oracle/product/8.1.6/lib DATE="`date '+%m%d%Y'`" PATH=.:$PATH export PATH town_name='123' town_name='123' town_name='345'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating array containing file names

I am wondering how I can save the file names (stored in $file or $fnames) in array which I can access with an index. alias MATH 'set \!:1 = `echo "\!:3-$" | bc -l`' set narg = $#argv while ($iarg < $narg) MATH iarg = $iarg + 1 set arg = $argv set opt = ` echo $arg | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating an array

I am having trouble creating an array, I've tried everything google gives me but it won't work, and it seems as though it should. Using Ubunto 12.04 and bash. #!/bin/bash ARRAY=one two three echo ${ARRAY}When I do this I receive the error : two: not found and : Bad substitution When I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating array from file

Dear community, how can I create an array from file taking only the 4th field? out.txt file is something like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20So the final array should be: 4 8 12 16 20With this command I created an array with all the fields, but I need only the 4th... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
13 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Generate a random number in a fully POSIX compliant shell, 'dash'...

Hi all... Apologies for any typos, etc... This took a while but it didn't beat me... Although there are many methods of generating random numbers in a POSIX shell this uses integer maths and a simple C source to create an executable to get epoch to microseconds accuracy if it is needed. I take... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
8 Replies
Tk_GetDash(3TK) 					       Tk Library Procedures						   Tk_GetDash(3TK)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_GetDash - convert from string to valid dash structure. SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> int Tk_GetDash(interp, string, dashPtr) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp(in) Interpreter to use for error reporting. CONST char * string(in) Textual value to be converted. Tk_Dash *dashPtr (out) Points to place to store the dash pattern value converted from string. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
These procedure parses the string and fills in the result in the Tk_Dash structure. The string can be a list of integers or a character string containing only [.,-_] or spaces. If all goes well, TCL_OK is returned. If string doesn't have the proper syntax then TCL_ERROR is returned, an error message is left in the interpreter's result, and nothing is stored at *dashPtr. The first possible syntax is a list of integers. Each element represents the number of pixels of a line segment. Only the odd segments are drawn using the "outline" color. The other segments are drawn transparent. The second possible syntax is a character list containing only 5 possible characters [.,-_ ]. The space can be used to enlarge the space between other line elements, and can not occur as the first posibion in the string. Some examples: -dash . = -dash {2 4} -dash - = -dash {6 4} -dash -. = -dash {6 4 2 4} -dash -.. = -dash {6 4 2 4 2 4} -dash {. } = -dash {2 8} -dash , = -dash {4 4} The main difference of this syntax with the previous is that it it shape-conserving. This means that all values in the dash list will be multiplied by the line width before display. This assures that "." will always be displayed as a dot and "-" always as a dash regardless of the line width. On systems where only a limited set of dash patterns, the dash pattern will be displayed as the most close dash pattern that is available. For example, on Windows only the first 4 of the above examples are available. The last 2 examples will be displayed identically as the first one. KEYWORDS
dash, conversion ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tk 8.3 Tk_GetDash(3TK)