Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a pseudo-array in dash, (POSIX). Post 303028584 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 10th of January 2019 04:15:33 PM
Old 01-10-2019
How about a concept like this, mutable without eval .. :
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/dash
set -- a b c
array() {
  _pos=$1
  _newval=$2
  _ARRAY= _i=-1 _val=
  shift 2
  for _val in "$@"
  do
    if [ $((_i+=1)) = $_pos ]; then
      _ARRAY="${_ARRAY}${_newval}
"
    else
      _ARRAY="${_ARRAY}${_val}
"
    fi
  done 
}

array 1 foo "$@"
oldIFS=$IFS
IFS="
"
set -- ${_ARRAY}

echo "Space as output field separator:
$@
"
echo "IFS as output field separator:
$*"

IFS=$oldIFS

Output:
Code:
Space as output field separator:
a foo c

IFS as output field separator:
a
foo
c

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 01-10-2019 at 05:55 PM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a dynamic array in ksh

Hi, Is it possible to create a dynamic array in shell script. I am trying to get the list of logfiles that created that day and put it in a dynamic array. I am not sure about it. help me New to scripting Gundu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating array variable

Hi all, i am quite fimiliar with shell scripting but i wouldn't regard myself as a semi professional at it. I am trying to create an array variable to read in 4 lines from a file using head and tail command in a pipeline and store each line into each array. I have done the scripting in unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptingmani
2 Replies

3. Solaris

pseudo: [ID 129642 kern.info] pseudo-device: vol0

Hi I have a system that gave me some messages on bootup that I was not used to seeing: pseudo: pseudo-device: vol0 genunix: vol0 is /pseudo/vol@0 these came with these: Feb 13 17:42:17 system1 eri: SUNW,eri0 : 100 Mbps full duplex link up Feb 13 17:42:21 system1sendmail: My unqualified... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mndavies
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a dynamic array

i want to create an array the array elements are populated depending upon the number of entries present in a data file The data file is created dynamically how to achieve the same thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

5. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating variable array name

#!/bin/ksh #export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:~dialp/cso/classes:/opt/oracle/product/8.1.6/jdbc/lib/classes12.zip #export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/oracle/product/8.1.6/lib DATE="`date '+%m%d%Y'`" PATH=.:$PATH export PATH town_name='123' town_name='123' town_name='345'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating array containing file names

I am wondering how I can save the file names (stored in $file or $fnames) in array which I can access with an index. alias MATH 'set \!:1 = `echo "\!:3-$" | bc -l`' set narg = $#argv while ($iarg < $narg) MATH iarg = $iarg + 1 set arg = $argv set opt = ` echo $arg | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating an array

I am having trouble creating an array, I've tried everything google gives me but it won't work, and it seems as though it should. Using Ubunto 12.04 and bash. #!/bin/bash ARRAY=one two three echo ${ARRAY}When I do this I receive the error : two: not found and : Bad substitution When I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating array from file

Dear community, how can I create an array from file taking only the 4th field? out.txt file is something like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20So the final array should be: 4 8 12 16 20With this command I created an array with all the fields, but I need only the 4th... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
13 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Generate a random number in a fully POSIX compliant shell, 'dash'...

Hi all... Apologies for any typos, etc... This took a while but it didn't beat me... Although there are many methods of generating random numbers in a POSIX shell this uses integer maths and a simple C source to create an executable to get epoch to microseconds accuracy if it is needed. I take... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
8 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)