Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about running script. Post 303028509 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 9th of January 2019 05:54:32 PM
Old 01-09-2019
you had a leading space in the first line: #!/bin/ksh
The first line containing the path to shell interpreter to be used for the script should start with #! followed by a path to a shell interpreter.
Unless it's a copy/paste error when you posted.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

question with running dbx

If your program unfortunately takes a LONG time to finish running in dbx and you find yourself hitting Ctrl+C or Ctrl+Z to stop the running, does it produce any adverse effects at all ? The reason I am asking is because my program is in an infinite loop state (which leads to the huge delay in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a script in cron question

There is this script I'd like to put into cron, but it asks for date verification. It'll prompt you to press enter to continue. Usually, 100% of the time the dates are ok, so is there a way to run this script in cron and bypass the "enter" prompt? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Running from Shell Vs running from RC script

Hi, i have a script which need to do behave differently when run as a startup process from init.d/ rc2.d script and when run manually from shell. How do i distinguish whether my script is run by init process or by shell?? Will the command /proc/$$/psinfo | grep "myscript" work well???... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

4. AIX

Question on background running job

Guys, We use AIX 5.3 at our work place. I only in my team have a strange problem of not able run jobs background. Other colleagues are able to run without any problem. Once I kick off background job using nohup and & command, It immediately stops. The following error I get when I run. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandsbr
2 Replies

5. Linux

running java program question

hi, i have just written a simple hello world java program in my linux server, installed jdk ... and tried to compile and run it and it gave me some errors. please details below: # cat HelloWorld.java import java.util.*; import java.io.*; public class HelloWorld { public static void... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: k2k
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick question about finding the PID of long-running processes

The end result that I'd like is to terminate any process on my ps -u username list that extends beyond 20 minutes. I know for a fact that this process will be named l.exe, but I don't know the number in between and I won't know the PID. Is there a way to use grep or pidof to do this task every 20... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bolanok
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Question: HowTo Exit Script with User Input While Process is Running Mid-Loop?

Hi, I have written a script that allows me to repetitively play a music file $N times, which is specified through user input. However, if I want to exit the script before it has finished looping $N times, if I use CTRL+c, I have to CTRL+c however many times are left in order to complete the loop.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilltop_yodeler
9 Replies

9. Linux

Question Regarding mounting a drive and running a software

Hello; Whenever I reboot a system which one takes precedence; mounting the drives or running the init.d scripts Here is my situation: Every time I boot my system, I need to mount a RAID10 drive and run a software whose config files are on the RAID10 drive I want the software to only start... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why script is running sometimes and not running sometimes?

Hi, I have a script which does couple of database connection and run some SELECT queries to get some output in the file. I am surprised to see :eek: that when i run my script some times it gives the desired out put and sometimes it shows some error :confused: . Suppose if i execute it say... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
3 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)