Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue with user input including * (glob) and sed Post 303028448 by RudiC on Tuesday 8th of January 2019 09:30:19 AM
Old 01-08-2019
Some thoughts:

*.*.abc as used for grep seems to be a "glob" but should be a regex same as the one used in the sed script (where, BTW, the . is a wildcard char and should be escaped for the extension separator).
Simply using sed on ALL files (leaving them intact if no pattern found) might be more efficient than grepping through all of them, and then using multiple sed invocations again on those with the pattern - depends on the average file length, and the ratio of files with vs. without pattern.
With awk, you could use one single invocation working on an input stream of all files writing to respective individual temporary output files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting user input in Bourne shell and using sed

He guys. Basically I want to make a script that can add, delete and view stuff in a external file called config.txt. I can open it up in Joe but im not sure how to read in the user input or using commands automatically in joe to edit, save then quit. Problem area below: 1) echo "Add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pits
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them

How to use sed to remove html tags including text between them? Example: User <b> rolvak </b> is stupid. It does not using <b>OOP</b>! and should output: User is stupid. It does not using ! Thank you.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphagon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How a normal user run a script including root privileaged commands

Dear all Ihave written a script in Hpux9.0, the ecript is working fine if I run it from root command prompt But when I am running it thru /etc/profile or /user/.profile and login as a normal user, the owner of the process running the script is the normal user & hence cant run a root privileaged... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: initin
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: remove characters between and including 2 strings

I have the following line: 4/23/2010 0:00:38.000: Copying $$3MSYDDC02$I would like to use sed (or similiar) to remove everthing between and including $ that appears in the line so it ends up like this. 4/23/2010 0:00:38.000: Copying 3MSYDDC02I have been trying these but i'm really just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting "user input line number" from a file using sed

Hi I want to delete a line from a txt file for which the line number is user input. Say when user selects 19, the 19th line would be deleted from the file. Can anyone please provide me with a sed one liner for the same... I tried sed -i. The interaction would be like this Enter the line to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the user input recursively until the user provides valid input

Hi, echo "Enter file name of input file list along with absolute path : " read inputFileList if then for string in `cat inputFileList` do echo $string done else echo " file does not exist" fi From the above code, if the user enters a invalid file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting "user input line number" from a file using sed

Hi I want to delete a line from a txt file for which the line number is user input. Say when user selects 19, the 19th line would be deleted from the file. Can anyone please provide me with a sed one liner for the same... I tried sed -i. The interaction would be like this Enter the line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove bracket including text inside with sed

Hello, I could not remove brackets with text contents myfile: Please remove the bracket with text I wish to remove: I tried: sed 's/\//' myfile It gives: Please remove the bracket with text A1 I expect: Please remove the bracket with text Many thanks Boris (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Including Hash / in sed command filter

Hello All, I want to print data in between two lines in a file sample.txt through more or cat command on the screen. For that I am using below sed command to give the BEGIN and END text. Content of sample.txt server01:~ # cat /proc/mdstat Hello this is a text message 1 Hello this is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xtreme
5 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)