Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change directory within a bash shell script Post 303028367 by RudiC on Saturday 5th of January 2019 04:56:14 PM
Old 01-05-2019
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure I understand the problem. Would you please carefully proofread your post and correct typos and logical errors (using the "edit" button at the lower right)? Like the ABC?DEF/*.done - is that a (wildcarded) directory or a sequence of files?

You don't seem to cd to anywhere, so why should it (what is it?) go "back to the original folder"? What exactly "isnt working"? Show the error messages.

And, give some data, like real filenames, as your sample "FilePrefix_20181120_075221_3.done" doesn't go well with the "${file:0:31}" shell expansion. Is your target directory meant to be an absolute path? Did you realize that your second expansion "${file##*.}" doesn't do anything as there's no . left in the file name?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change of directory thru script

:confused: Hi All, This script is not working. I want to change the directory as per users selection in current shell. Looks like it is spawning sub-shell internally. I have used . changedir.sh source changedir.sh ./changedire.sh But did not work. Currently shell directory remain the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shiningram
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

change directory using shell script

How do u change ur directory using a shell script?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi
0 Replies

3. Linux

Change directory in a shell script

How do u change ur directory using a shell script?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change shell from BASH to C

hi all, how can i change my shell from BASH to C shell? i am using cygwin. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change the default shell from bash to ksh

Currently my default shell is bash.How can i change itto ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically change to Bash shell after login

Hi men, I think this must be a very common job. "How could to Automatically change to Bash shell after login and then jail user can only using this shell". I want monitor user works.However it just only effect on Bash shell. Consequently if the user change the shell it will be worthless. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple BASH shell script to rename webcam jpg and copy into a new directory.

System: Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex I'm running webcamd as a sort of "security" program, but I need a script that will archive my webcam.jpg files. So, take the following file: /home/slag/www/webcam.jpg Rename it--preferably with a time stamp. Place it in say: /home/slag/www/history/ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robfindlay
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

directory change in shell script

Hi, I am trying to change the directory in my script, & want to check if the directory is present or not . Ex: cd /home/xyz/temp/logs if the logs directory is not present i want to show the error in script instead of shell script error. Can anybody please help me on the same Thx in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vls1210
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a directory in shell script?

HI, I need to change the working directory by using the shell script /Export/home/user_name I have to go one step back like /Export/home Please help on this.:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change directory shell

#!/bin/bash echo -n "Enter number of sanger patients : "; read id perl -ne 'chomp; system ("perl table_annovar.pl $_ humandb/ -buildver hg19 -protocol refGene,popfreq_all,common,clinvar,clinvarsubmit,clinvarreference -operation g,f,f,f,f,f -otherinfo")' < file.txt I have the above script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
RMF(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)