Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tcl / expect need to attempt telnet if failed ssh Post 303028220 by popeye on Wednesday 2nd of January 2019 09:04:27 AM
Old 01-02-2019
Tcl / expect need to attempt telnet if failed ssh

Morning and Happy New Year to all.

I am in a situation where I need to connect to a list of devices that are using either telnet or ssh.
I want to try to telnet, if I receive any of the following I want to attempt ssh :

"Connection refused"
"Connection timed out"
timeout expiration

Code:
#!/usr/bin/expect -d
set dev [lindex $argv 0]
set hnam [lindex $argv 1]
set timeout 10
set unam [lindex $argv 2]
set password [lindex $argv 3]
spawn telnet $dev
      expect {
             "sername" { send "$unam\n"; }
             "login"   { send "$unam\n"; }
#             -re "Connection refused|Connection timed out" { spawn ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no $dev -l $unam }
             timeout { spawn ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no $dev -l $unam
                     expect {
                            timeout { set err [ open "$hnam\_$dev.err" w ] ;
                                      puts $err "SSH timed out for $dev.\n";
                                      log_file ;
                                      exit; }

}

}
             }
sleep 1
            expect "assword"       { send "$password\n"; }
            expect -re {[#>] ?$}    { send "show clock\n" }
            expect -re {[#>] ?$}    { send "exit\n" }
wait
close $spawn_id

So my question is .. how do I use "|" or "OR" in tcl/expect I have been searching the web but havent found a good example.

Some Psuedo

spawn a telnet session
if Connection refused or Connection timed out or the time out expires
spawn a ssh session
end

Thanks in advance ..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect with tcl/tk

hai all, i have an tcl script in which i have been reading the DUT Command prompt of an cisco switch as DUT Command Prompt : cisco* and running the test case of stp now the problem is if i have given any blank space in between the cisco or at the startup then the Expect is not identifying the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjustudy
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Expect/Tcl help?

Does anyone know of an expect/tcl forum that is as helpful as this one is for shell scripting? Or if anyone has any expect knowledge, can you please provide some guidance on how to write to a local error log based on output from a ssh session? I have something like this: foreach host... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcl expect HELP

In the following "for" loop I assume the the script will expect "anyway", "first" NOT in any paticular order and send "yes" when there found, breaking out of the loop when "$prompt" is found. The way it is working is like 3 individual expect lines, and they MUST be in cronological order. ANY help... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave_m
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl/expect

Can someone identify what is the problem here?. no children while executing "exp_wait -nowait -i -1" (procedure "logOptions" line 45) invoked from within "logOptions" (procedure "doExecute" line 98) invoked from within "doExecute" (procedure "main" line 32) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: calsum
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Webpage to Telnet via Perl and Expect: Telnet problem?

Somewhat long story: I have a simple Perl CGI script that uses Expect to Telnet to a device and grab some data, and then spits it back to Perl for display on the Webpage. This works for many devices I've tried, but one device just fails, it keeps rejecting the password on this device, only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jondo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need 'expect' help, ssh/telnet and trapping

So here is what I am trying to do. I have a large # of switches and routers I am trying to log into. Unfortunately some have ssh only, some have telnet only. and some i have never logged into with ssh. I first want it to SSH, if i have never logged into the box it will ask for adding the ssh key. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ippy98
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Expect/Tcl help

hi, I am new in Expect. I have a question about expect timeout. suppose I have a structure of expect { ".."{ send"............"} timeout{ ............... } } The silly question is if I reach timeout, how can I store the error message showing on the screen to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allenxiao7
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl/expect magic ssh dictionary password

Hi gurus, I am trying to do some expect/TCL magic. My goal is to write some kind of password guessing script (nearly similar to dictionary attack against ssh). I read that this could be possible with expect/TCL, I am newbie in this language, its function and its terms so please be patient ;) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
3 Replies

9. Programming

Failed SSL Connection Attempt

The below error message I started seeing using Ubuntu 14.04 and was wondering if the forum has seen it because I cant seem much on the net for this: perl -e 'use IO::Socket::SSL qw(debug3);IO::Socket::SSL->new(PeerAddr=>"10.0.0.100",PeerPort=> 443,Proto=>"TCP") or die $!' DEBUG:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
1 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Further to my query re: failed attempt to change email address on existing account

Neo Thanks for your reply to my original post, entitled "Problem changing the email address associated with my unix.com account". I am unable to reply to you in that thread, as I am unable to log-on to unix.com! From what you said about purging dormant accounts, it is likely that my account... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irb
1 Replies
POE::Component::Client::MPD::Connection(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation	      POE::Component::Client::MPD::Connection(3pm)

NAME
POE::Component::Client::MPD::Connection - module handling the tcp connection with mpd VERSION
version 1.121670 DESCRIPTION
This module will spawn a poe session responsible for low-level communication with mpd. It is written as a POE::Component::Client::TCP, which is taking care of everything needed. Note that you're not supposed to use this class directly: it's one of the helper class for POE::Component::Client::MPD. ATTRIBUTES
host The hostname of the mpd server. Mandatory, no default. port The port of the mpd server. Mandatory, no default. id The POE session id of the peer to dialog with. Mandatory, no default. max_retries How much time to attempt reconnection before giving up. Defaults to 5. retry_wait How much time to wait (in seconds) before attempting socket reconnection. Defaults to 2. METHODS
my $id = POE::Component::Client::MPD::Connection->spawn( \%params ); This method will create a POE::Component::Client::TCP session responsible for low-level communication with mpd. It will return the poe id of the session newly created. PUBLIC EVENTS ACCEPTED
disconnect( ) Request the pococm-connection to be shutdown. This does not shut down the MPD server. No argument. send( $message ) Request pococm-conn to send the $message over the wires. Note that this request is a POE::Component::Client::MPD::Message object properly filled up, and that the "_commands()" attribute should not be newline terminated. PUBLIC EVENTS FIRED
The following events are fired from the spawned session. mpd_connected( $version ) Fired when the session is connected to a mpd server. This event isn't fired when the socket connection takes place, but when the session has checked that remote peer is a real mpd server. $version is the advertised mpd server version. mpd_connect_error_fatal( $errstr ) Fired when the session encounters a fatal error. This happens either when the session is connected to a server which happens to be something else than a mpd server, or if there was more than "max_retries" (see "spawn()" params) connection retries in a row. $errstr will contain the problem encountered. No retries will be done. mpd_connect_error_retriable( $errstr ) Fired when the session has troubles connecting to the server. $errstr will point the faulty syscall that failed. Re-connection will be tried after $retry_wait seconds (see "spawn()" params). mpd_data( $msg ) Fired when $msg has been sent over the wires, and mpd server has answered with success. The actual output should be looked up in "$msg-"_data>. mpd_disconnected( ) Fired when the socket has been disconnected for whatever reason. Note that this event is not fired in the case of a programmed shutdown (see "disconnect()" event above). A reconnection will be automatically re-tried after $retry_wait (see "spawn()" params). mpd_error( $msg, $errstr ) Fired when $msg has been sent over the wires, and mpd server has answered with the error message $errstr. AUTHOR
Jerome Quelin COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2007 by Jerome Quelin. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-15 POE::Component::Client::MPD::Connection(3pm)