Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to configure Xorg and fvwm on x86 Solaris 10 update 10? Post 303028075 by vectrum on Sunday 30th of December 2018 03:21:14 PM
Old 12-30-2018
jlliagre,

Thank you very much for your help.
It worked exactly what I wanted.

Please tell me which directory I should keep the script in.

I kept it in /usr/dt/bin, named it startx and manually called it (being root of course).
It fired X and xterm appeared but everything was so small and barely readable so I tried to
reconfigure X and miserably failed as I forgot to copy config file that was overwritten
and the error was "/usr/X11/lib/module//amd64/libpcidata.so"
failed to load "pcidata" (loader failed 7).

When I'd started X from your script, mouse'd been working but, later, it stopped working.
I'm going to reinstall the os.

Please tell me where I should put the script.
I, being a non-root user, want to start X from command line.

Thanks again.

P.S I haven't got stable internet connection so I downloaded update 10 because of
the dvd of packages sunfreeware offered. It was the last disc of extra open source
packages. They no longer provide dvd or cd free of cost. I couldn't
download from OpenCSW for the lack of internet connection.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Cant configure video & nic (solaris 8 on x86)

can someone please through light on how to configure video and nic. Dimension 3000 Series, Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.8GHz 256MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz EA 0.00 0.00 17 in (17 in viewable) E173FP Flat Panel Display EA Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 EA Intel Pro 100M Integrated... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jimmpy
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Where Xorg X-Lock file is located in Solaris?

I am using Xorg server with Solaris 10. After unnormal poweroff dtlogin tells: "The X-server can not be started on display :0" I am absolutelly sure it is because there is still a X-lock file from the previouse X-session somewhere, but I do not know where is it located in Solaris! :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugrus
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding Solaris 10 x86 Update.

:) I have question regarding Solaris 10 x86 Update ,does it require sunsolve account and if am using Solaris 10 x86 for learning ,how to get sunsolve account with out a contract number .i am very in need for this update . Please if any can help, help is highly appreciated :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ibasit
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Solaris Sparc Apps on X86 Solaris

I know that Sun make s a version of Solaris for Sparc platforms and also an x86 (Intel/AMD) release of Solaris. Can an application that runs on Solaris/Sparc also run on a PC running the x86 release of Solaris? Would a different release be required or any re-compling of the application? jim (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stocksj
1 Replies

5. Linux

Linux ES 4 Update 4 (x86)

I have cdrom with the following files which I copieed on my hard drive. RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc1.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc4.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc2.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc5.iso RHEL4-U4-i386-ES-disc3.iso What shell I do now to upgrade linux version. :o Thank you zam (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
6 Replies

6. Solaris

How to Configure NIS Client for Solaris7 x86

HI Unix Gurus i am new to Solaris OS, i want to configure NIS CLient for Solaris 7 x86 Machine. i need what are the step and how to configure it in that machine.. please let me know Thanks in Advance Regards ..kiruba.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkkirubakaran
2 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

cygwin-x/can't install xorg-x11-f100 & xorg-x11-fnts

Hello All. Really a newbie to Linux/Unix. Trying to get into Linux. Using XP PE currently. Installed cygwin and trying to intall cygwin-x. Everything else is setup nice but i can't seem to install these two packages (without whom xwin won't start) 1. xorg-x11-f100 2. xorg-x11-fnts Tried the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binodbdrchand
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to configure Proxy Server in Solaris 10 (X86)

Hi , I have installed solaris 10 on x 86 architecture. Now i want to configure this system as Proxy Server. I am new to the solaris. Please help me how can i configure this. Which packages or patches are needed ? or Which files have to be modify ? Please help me to resolve. Thanks and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raviraj001
0 Replies
DEBSNAP(1)							DebSnap User Manual							DEBSNAP(1)

NAME
debsnap - retrieve old snapshots of Debian packages SYNOPSIS
debsnap [options] package [version] debsnap [-h | --help] [--version] DESCRIPTION
debsnap is a tool to help with retrieving snapshots of old packages from a daily archive repository. The only publicly available snapshot archive is currently located at http://snapshot.debian.org By default, debsnap will download all the available versions for package that are found in the snapshot archive. If a version is speci- fied, only that particular version will be downloaded, if available. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -d destination, --destdir destination Directory to place retrieved packages. -f, --force Force writing into an existing destination. By default debsnap will insist the destination directory does not exist yet unless it is explicitly specified to be '.' (the current working directory). This is to avoid files being accidentally overwritten by what is fetched from the archive and to provide a guarantee for other scripts that only the files fetched will be present there upon comple- tion. -v, --verbose Report on the debsnap configuration being used and progress during the download operation. Please always use this option when reporting bugs. --binary Download binary packages instead of source packages. -a, --architecture Specify architecture of downloaded binary packages. Implies --binary. This can be given multiple times in order to download binary packages for multiple architectures. -h, --help Show a summary of these options. --version Show the version of debsnap. CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
debsnap may also be configured through the use of the following options in the devscripts configuration files: DEBSNAP_VERBOSE Same as the command line option --verbose. Set to yes to enable. DEBSNAP_DESTDIR Set a default path for the destination directory. If unset ./source-<package_name> will be used. The command line option --destdir will override this. DEBSNAP_BASE_URL The base url for the snapshots archive. If unset this defaults to http://snapshot.debian.org EXIT STATUS
debsnap will return an exit status of 0 if all operations succeeded, 1 if a fatal error occurred, and 2 if some packages failed to be down- loaded but operations otherwise succeeded as expected. In some cases packages may fail to be downloaded because they are no longer avail- able on the snapshot mirror, so any caller should expect this may occur in normal use. EXAMPLES
debsnap -a amd64 xterm 256-1 Download the binary package of specific a xterm version for amd64 architecture. debsnap -a armel xterm Download binary packages for all versions of xterm for armel architecture. debsnap --binary xterm 256-1 Download binary packages for a specific a xterm version but for all architectures. debsnap --binary xterm Download binary packages for all version of xterm version for all architectures. aptitude search '~i' -F '%p %V' | while read pkg ver; do debsnap -a $(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH) -a all $pkg $ver; done Download binary packages of all packages that are installed on the system. FILES
/etc/devscripts.conf Global devscripts configuration options. Will override hardcoded defaults. ~/.devscripts Per-user configuration options. Will override any global configuration. SEE ALSO
devscripts(1), devscripts.conf(5), git-debimport(1) AUTHORS
David Paleino <dapal@debian.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 David Paleino Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 or (at your option) any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. BUGS
Reporting bugs The program is part of the devscripts package. Please report bugs using `reportbug devscripts` Debian devscripts July 3, 2010 DEBSNAP(1)