Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Advice on allocating SAN storage to a virtual database server on VMware Post 303027918 by gull04 on Friday 28th of December 2018 08:32:26 AM
Old 12-28-2018
Hi,

In general the same approach is probably the way to go - however if you are going to be doing significant amounts of migration work it is worth getting the planning right.

Much of the configuration is dependent on the way that the storage is configured and whether you are using Oracle ASM or not, ASM is worth having if you have significant I/O on the database but with a high performance backend the additional managemnt overhead may not be worth while.

If the storage is tiered and you think it will deal efficiently with the I/O, I'd go for the presentation of a single LUN - this makes future migrations, DR and failover really simple. The drawback would be if you have to run fsck or some other tool, it has to do the whole LUN not just a couple of small partitions or LUN's. Where you have SAN replication the single LUN approach makes life easy, you won't miss something if it's all in one place.

If performance is key, then you may want to take advantage of the tiering in a different way. There is much to consider when doing migration work like this, it is well worth while runing a proof of concept (if you can) just to check things out.

Regards

Gull04

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Using San storage - advice needed

Thinking of using our San for network backups.. Have a Netra 240 being installed and planning to get some space on our San. Do you know what software is used to access the San from my server or what I would need to do? I know how to connect to local storage, disk arrays etc but not sure what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

2. Solaris

SAN Storage to solaris 10 server

Hi, I have configured our SAN Storage to be connected to our new SUN T5220. On the SAn it looks all fine on the server I do not see any connection: cfgadm -al Ap_Id Type Receptacle Occupant Condition c1 scsi-bus connected ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manni2
4 Replies

3. SuSE

Hot-add memory to SuSE / VMware virtual server

Hi, Here is the issue. Some more memory has been added from vCenter to the virtual machine. From the virtual machine running SuSE 11 SP3. # modprobe acpiphp # modprobe acpi-memhotplug # grep -v online /sys/devices/system/memory/*/state # It looks like there is no offline memory, but free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Allocating Unallocated Drive Space from a SAN to a filesystem

Good Morning everyone, I want to know how to allocate unallocated drive space from a SAN to a file system that desperately needs the drive space. Does anyone have any documentation or tips on how to accomplish this? I am running on AIX version 6.1. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryanco
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to mount a 79TB SAN storage to another server?

Hi Team, How do i mount or connect the SAN storage to a specific folder. I have tried to mount it but each time i can only mount 900GB of the storage to the folder: ipmi1 ~]# df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VolGroup-root_vol ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElVista
0 Replies
SG_EMC_TRESPASS(8)						     SG3_UTILS							SG_EMC_TRESPASS(8)

NAME
sg_emc_trespass - change ownership of SCSI LUN from another Service-Processor to this one SYNOPSIS
sg_emc_trespass [-d] [-hr] [-s] [-V] DEVICE DESCRIPTION
sg_emc_trespass sends an EMC-specific Trespass Command to the DEVICE with the selected options. This Mode Select changes the ownership of the LUN of the device from another Service-Processor to the one the command was received on. OPTIONS
Arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -d outputs some extra debug information associated with executing this command -hr Sets the 'Honor Reservation' bit in the command. If set, the trespass will only succeed to change the ownership from the Peer SP if the Peer SP does not have an outstanding SCSI reservation for the LUN. By default, the reservation state will be ignored. -s Send the short version of the trespass command instead of the long version. The short version is supported on the EMC FC5300, FC4500 and FC4700. The long version (default) is supported on the CLARiiON CX and AX family arrays. -V print out version string then exit. In the 2.4 series of Linux kernels the DEVICE must be a SCSI generic (sg) device. In the 2.6 series block devices (e.g. SCSI disks and DVD drives) can also be specified. For example "sg_start 0 /dev/sda" will work in the 2.6 series kernels. EXIT STATUS
The exit status of sg_emc_trespass is 0 when it is successful. Otherwise see the sg3_utils(8) man page. AUTHOR
Written by Lars Marowsky-Bree, based on sg_start. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004-2012 Lars Marowsky-Bree, Douglas Gilbert. This software is distributed under the GPL version 2. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. sg3_utils-1.35 December 2012 SG_EMC_TRESPASS(8)