Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating a PATH variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a PATH variable Post 303027888 by joeyg on Thursday 27th of December 2018 11:51:24 AM
Old 12-27-2018
PATH is something that tells the computer where to look for programs, and in what order to search for the programs.
By programs, I am referring to many of the commands you use in unix - cp, rm, mv, cat - are actually programs.
So, if you type 'cat myfile', unix would look in /usr/bin folder first to find the program cat.exe; then it will do what cat is programmed for, display the contents of the parameter you typed, myfile

Defining data_dir is a common programming step. This avoids the need to specify it everywhere in your script, and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) allows you to adjust the location just once rather than throughout your script.

thus, in your script you could have the following commands (if the archiv_dir was also defined):
cat $data_dir"/workfile.txt"
mv $data_dir"/workfile.txt" $archv_dir"/workfile.arc"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating alias for directory path

I am trying to create an alias for a frequently used directory path by using alias xyz="/proj/dir_name" and then trying to reach a sub-directoy by using cd xyz/abc but I get an error saying " No such file or directory " plz tell me wats wrong with this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasjot31
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a variable

I cannot seem to get the following script to work. I cannot seem to set the variable. What am I missing? bin/bash set -x echo "2" > /tmp/number STATUS='grep -c 2 /temp/number' if ; then echo "Number 2 is found once" else echo "Number 2 is found more or less than one time" fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rexmabry
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the path from a variable

Hi, I am having a variable Like line="/dir1/dir2/gr3/file.ksh" I need to get the /dir1/dir2/gr3 alone. the no of directories may differ at each time. Please advice. thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanathi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a path from PATH environment variable

Hi I need a script which will remove a path from PATH environment variable. For example $echo PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:test/rmve:/usr/games $echo rmv test/rmve Here I need a shell script which will remove rmv path (test/rmve) from PATH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu84
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a path in user's PATH variable

Hello Folks, I want to append a path in user's PATH variable which should be available in current session. Background Numerous persons will run a utility. Aim is to add the absolute path of the utility the first time it runs so that next runs have the PATH in env & users can directly run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path a variable to sed that includes a path

Hi I'm trying to select text between two lines, I'm using sed to to this, but I need to pass variables to it. For example start="BEGIN /home/mavkoup/data" end="END" sed -n -e '/${start}/,/${end}/g' doesn't work. I've tried double quotes as well. I think there's a problem with the / in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavkoup
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File creating in another path.. application unable to locate

I am submitting a concurrent program (of HOST tyme) from Oracle apps screen, The MAIN shell program submits another program, (child) which is also a Shell program. The child writes data to log file. Now the main program, read the log and do some calculations and sends the data to user through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pradeep Garine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Readin document & creating path

Need a way to read a file in who every line is a path to a directory and make shortcut to that directory on a specific place. Example: line in the document /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop/ /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop/alex/ /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/linux/ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogok_bg
3 Replies
SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)

NAME
surfraw-update-path - updates PATH in shell config files SYNOPSIS
surfraw-update-path [-add] [-remove] [-check] [-sys] [-all] [-help] [-shell=SHELL] DESCRIPTION
surfraw-update-path adds the surfraw elvi directory (/usr/lib/surfraw) to your PATH in your shell's config file. Currently it supports bash, sh, csh, tcsh, ash, dash, ksh, pdksh, zsh, rc, and es Don't forget to login again or source your login files for it to take effect. OPTIONS
-check Checks to see if the surfraw config code is present. This is the default. -add Adds the surfraw config code. -remove Removes the surfraw config code -sys Updates the system-wide shell config instead of the user. Must be done as root. -shell=SHELL Selects the shell to configure. Defaults to the value of the $SHELL environment variable. Currently supported shells are: sh, ash, bash, dash, csh, tcsh, ksh, pdksh, zsh, rc, and es. -all Attempts to configure the startup files for all known shells -help Gives a usage message RETURN VALUE
-check returns 0 if the surfraw code is present in the file, 1 if it is not found, or 2 on error. All other options return 0 on success, or 2 on error. ENVIRONMENT
SHELL Used to determine which shell to configure, if -shell is not given. HOME Used to find users config files. ENV Used by posix-compliant shells to specify a startup rc file. ZDOTDIR Used to find user config files for zsh. If not set, defaults to HOME. SEE ALSO
surfraw(1), sh(1), ash(1), bash(1), dash(1), csh(1), tcsh(1), ksh(1), pdksh(1), zsh(1), rc(1), es(1) AUTHOR
Ian Beckwith <ianb@erislabs.net> perl v5.12.4 2011-07-12 SURFRAW-UPDATE-PATH(1)