Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating a PATH variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a PATH variable Post 303027855 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 26th of December 2018 04:59:23 PM
Old 12-26-2018
Hi, that is where the shell looks for executables.
Quote:
PATH
This variable shall represent the sequence of path prefixes that certain functions and utilities apply in searching for an executable file known only by a filename. The prefixes shall be separated by a <colon> ( ':' ). When a non-zero-length prefix is applied to this filename, a <slash> shall be inserted between the prefix and the filename if the prefix did not end in <slash>. A zero-length prefix is a legacy feature that indicates the current working directory. It appears as two adjacent <colon> characters ( "::" ), as an initial <colon> preceding the rest of the list, or as a trailing <colon> following the rest of the list. A strictly conforming application shall use an actual pathname (such as .) to represent the current working directory in PATH. The list shall be searched from beginning to end, applying the filename to each prefix, until an executable file with the specified name and appropriate execution permissions is found. If the pathname being sought contains a <slash>, the search through the path prefixes shall not be performed. If the pathname begins with a <slash>, the specified path is resolved (see Pathname Resolution). If PATH is unset or is set to null, the path search is implementation-defined.
Since <colon> is a separator in this context, directory names that might be used in PATH should not include a <colon> character.
The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7, 2018 edition
This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating alias for directory path

I am trying to create an alias for a frequently used directory path by using alias xyz="/proj/dir_name" and then trying to reach a sub-directoy by using cd xyz/abc but I get an error saying " No such file or directory " plz tell me wats wrong with this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasjot31
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a variable

I cannot seem to get the following script to work. I cannot seem to set the variable. What am I missing? bin/bash set -x echo "2" > /tmp/number STATUS='grep -c 2 /temp/number' if ; then echo "Number 2 is found once" else echo "Number 2 is found more or less than one time" fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rexmabry
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the path from a variable

Hi, I am having a variable Like line="/dir1/dir2/gr3/file.ksh" I need to get the /dir1/dir2/gr3 alone. the no of directories may differ at each time. Please advice. thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanathi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a path from PATH environment variable

Hi I need a script which will remove a path from PATH environment variable. For example $echo PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:test/rmve:/usr/games $echo rmv test/rmve Here I need a shell script which will remove rmv path (test/rmve) from PATH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu84
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a path in user's PATH variable

Hello Folks, I want to append a path in user's PATH variable which should be available in current session. Background Numerous persons will run a utility. Aim is to add the absolute path of the utility the first time it runs so that next runs have the PATH in env & users can directly run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path a variable to sed that includes a path

Hi I'm trying to select text between two lines, I'm using sed to to this, but I need to pass variables to it. For example start="BEGIN /home/mavkoup/data" end="END" sed -n -e '/${start}/,/${end}/g' doesn't work. I've tried double quotes as well. I think there's a problem with the / in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavkoup
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File creating in another path.. application unable to locate

I am submitting a concurrent program (of HOST tyme) from Oracle apps screen, The MAIN shell program submits another program, (child) which is also a Shell program. The child writes data to log file. Now the main program, read the log and do some calculations and sends the data to user through... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pradeep Garine
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Readin document & creating path

Need a way to read a file in who every line is a path to a directory and make shortcut to that directory on a specific place. Example: line in the document /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop/ /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/Desktop/alex/ /media/gogo/6651-FEAB/linux/ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogok_bg
3 Replies
getexecname(3C) 					   Standard C Library Functions 					   getexecname(3C)

NAME
getexecname - return pathname of executable SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> const char *getexecname(void); DESCRIPTION
The getexecname() function returns the pathname (the first argument of one of the exec family of functions; see exec(2)) of the executable that started the process. Normally this is an absolute pathname, as the majority of commands are executed by the shells that append the command name to the user's PATH components. If this is not an absolute path, the output of getcwd(3C) can be prepended to it to create an absolute path, unless the process or one of its ancestors has changed its root directory or current working directory since the last successful call to one of the exec family of functions. RETURN VALUES
If successful, getexecname() returns a pointer to the executables pathname; otherwise, it returns 0. USAGE
The getexecname() function obtains the executable pathname from the AT_SUN_EXECNAME aux vector. These vectors are made available to dynam- ically linked processes only. A successful call to one of the exec family of functions will always have AT_SUN_EXECNAME in the aux vector. The associated pathname is guaranteed to be less than or equal to PATH_MAX, not counting the trailing null byte that is always present. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exec(2), getcwd(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Dec 1997 getexecname(3C)