Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to search and lossless replace strings using sed? Post 303027746 by Mick P. F. on Sunday 23rd of December 2018 06:12:51 AM
Old 12-23-2018
How to search and lossless replace strings using sed?

Hello,

I would like to replace all occurencies of long data types by others (coresponding int) using 'sed' in the extensive source code of a software package written for 32 bit CPUs.
I must use regular expressions to avoid wrong replacements like

Code:
s/unsigned[[:blank:]]+long[^_1-9A-Za-z]/ulong/g

Leaving out the regular expression suffix will also replace variable names starting with 'int' and/or 'long'.

The problem with this is that the detected suffix "[^_1-9A-Za-z]" is also replaced (by an empty string), which destroys the source code.

Is it possible to append/use the detected suffix lossless again using 'sed'?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Strings with sed or awk

Hello i need some help with the usage of sed. Situation : 2 textfiles, file.in , file.out In the first textfile which is called file.in are the words for the substitution. Every word is in a new-line like : Firstsub Secondsub Thridsub ... In the second textflie wich is called file.out is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingbruce
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed search&replace between two strings

Hi, i read couple of threads here on forum, and googled about what bugs me, yet i still can't find solution. Problem is below. I need to change this string (with sed if it is possible): This is message text that is being quoted to look like this: This is message text that is being quotedI... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angrybb
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace two different strings?

Hey everyone! Simple question - I am trying to use sed to replace two different strings. As it stands I can implement this as: sed -i 's/TIMEOUT//g' sed -i 's/null//g' And it works. However, is it possible to shrink that down into a single command? Will there be any performance benefits? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search replace strings between single quotes in a text file

Hi There... I need to serach and replace a strings in a text file. My file has; books.amazon='Let me read' and the output needed is books.amazon=NONFOUND pls if anybody know this can be done in script sed or awk.. i have a list of different strings to be repced by NONFOUND.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiano
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED with variable to replace strings in while loop

Hi guys, Hi have this input (Menu.xml)<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <breakfast_menu> <food> <name>Berry-Berry Belgian Waffles</name> <price>$8.95</price> <calories>900</calories> </food> <food> <name>French Toast</name> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace strings if NOT found

Dear expert, I need an urgent help. I would like to update my /etc/ntp.conf file using sed. 1) if script find this string "127.127.1.0" then add the lone below #server 127.127.1.0 2) is script find this string "fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10" then add #fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display records between two search strings using sed

I have input file like AAA AAA CCC CCC CCC EEE EEE EEE EEE FFF FFF GGG GGG i was trying to retrieve data between two strings using sed. sed -n /CCC/,/FFF/p input_file Am getting output like CCC CCC CCC (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NareshN
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search replace strings between single quotes

Hi All, I need to serach and replace a strings between single quote in a file. My file has : location='/data1/test.log' and the output needed is location='/data2/test_dir/test.log' pls if anybody know this can be done in script sed or awk. I have a script, but it's... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search IP address and replace with strings

Hi All, How can I find (pattern search with grep/awk/sed) all files containing any IP address pattern in one directory hierarchy and in its sub-directories. The files can contains more than 4 octets in addition to the IP address as shown below. IP address can contain any octet combinations like-... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed find 2 strings and replace one

Hi Everyone, I want to find this 2 strings in a single line a file and replace the second string. this is the line i need to find <param name="user" value="CORE_BI"/> find user and CORE_BI and replace only CORE_BI with admin so finally the line should look like this. <param... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shajay12
5 Replies
GIT-REPLACE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-REPLACE(1)

NAME
git-replace - Create, list, delete refs to replace objects SYNOPSIS
git replace [-f] <object> <replacement> git replace -d <object>... git replace -l [<pattern>] DESCRIPTION
Adds a replace reference in refs/replace/ namespace. The name of the replace reference is the SHA-1 of the object that is replaced. The content of the replace reference is the SHA-1 of the replacement object. Unless -f is given, the replace reference must not yet exist. Replacement references will be used by default by all Git commands except those doing reachability traversal (prune, pack transfer and fsck). It is possible to disable use of replacement references for any command using the --no-replace-objects option just after git. For example if commit foo has been replaced by commit bar: $ git --no-replace-objects cat-file commit foo shows information about commit foo, while: $ git cat-file commit foo shows information about commit bar. The GIT_NO_REPLACE_OBJECTS environment variable can be set to achieve the same effect as the --no-replace-objects option. OPTIONS
-f If an existing replace ref for the same object exists, it will be overwritten (instead of failing). -d Delete existing replace refs for the given objects. -l <pattern> List replace refs for objects that match the given pattern (or all if no pattern is given). Typing "git replace" without arguments, also lists all replace refs. BUGS
Comparing blobs or trees that have been replaced with those that replace them will not work properly. And using git reset --hard to go back to a replaced commit will move the branch to the replacement commit instead of the replaced commit. There may be other problems when using git rev-list related to pending objects. And of course things may break if an object of one type is replaced by an object of another type (for example a blob replaced by a commit). SEE ALSO
git-tag(1) git-branch(1) git(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-REPLACE(1)