Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need Help in converting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need Help in converting Post 303027633 by Corona688 on Thursday 20th of December 2018 03:06:01 PM
Old 12-20-2018
I have this tool for converting XLS files to flatfiles:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use Spreadsheet::ParseExcel;
use strict;

my $filename = shift || "Book1.xls";
my $e = new Spreadsheet::ParseExcel;
my $eBook = $e->Parse($filename);
my $sheets = $eBook->{SheetCount};
my ($eSheet, $sheetName);

foreach my $sheet (0 .. $sheets - 1) {
    $eSheet = $eBook->{Worksheet}[$sheet];
    $sheetName = $eSheet->{Name};
#    print "#Worksheet $sheet: $sheetName\n";
    next unless (exists ($eSheet->{MaxRow}) and (exists ($eSheet->{MaxCol})));
    foreach my $row ($eSheet->{MinRow} .. $eSheet->{MaxRow}) {
        foreach my $column ($eSheet->{MinCol} .. $eSheet->{MaxCol}) {
            if (defined $eSheet->{Cells}[$row][$column])
            {
                print $eSheet->{Cells}[$row][$column]->Value . "|";
            } else {
                print "|";
            }
        }
        print "\n";
    }
}

You will have to install the Perl module Spreadsheet::ParseExcel. Sorry. No matter how you do it you have to install something to handle XLS in UNIX.

Using it:

Code:
$ ./xlstoflat.pl ./xlstest.xls | awk -F"|" -v OFS="|" '{ sub("^" $1 "_", "", $2); } 1'
Serial Number|Serial Name|Serial Brand|
111|test|sample|
123|test2|sample1|
134|test3|sample2|
135|test4|sample3|

$

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

converting kb to mb

When I create filesystems in AIX i often get confused(using smit) When you specify size in aix, it is asked like this SIZE of file system (in 512-byte blocks) I never seem to grasp this, what is the equation to get say 500mb? Or is there a program anyone knows of that does this, like a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

converting .txt

Hello, I transferred some .txt files from windows to Unix. When i used the editor in Unix to open up the file, all the <cr> show up. How to I get rid of all of them? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting to Uppercase

I want to convert string into uppercase string. How can i do that ? Ex: Enter the user name: read name show=upper(name) echo $show --- This output should be the uppercase output. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
3 Replies

4. SCO

Converting

I use Sco_Sv 3.2v5.0.5 with parellel conection using dump terminals and i want to convert them to desktop pc. Anybody knows what hardware and other thing that would be involved? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seeyou
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting \0 to a \n

Hi - I have seen some similar posts but I am a bit stumped here below is the first line of a 'od -c filename' command. I want to change the \0 to \n 0000000 l s \0 c d - \0 c d . . \0 l s I have tried a sed construct in a script......... sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Coins

Hi all, I have never written a script so I guess you could say I am very yellow.:) However, I could use some help.... I need to write a Korn Shell Script that converts coins. Meaning if I print or echo "Please enter amount:" and the user puts in 3.87, I need to know the least amount of coins... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tzeman
11 Replies

7. SCO

library converting

Hi everybody Is there any sco unix command to convert .so library to .a (under sco unix openserver.5.0.6) tnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javad1_maroofi
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help converting ctlU (^U) to a \12...

I have a file that ends with a ctlU: > cat -v test.file blah,blah,blah,GEAEA*1*xx0000111xxx^UIEA*xxx0^U would like to replace the ctlU (^U) with a "\12"...due to printers or something. I believe I might be able to utilize the tr command, if I could only identify the correct... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Help converting my Script

So i have been asked to write a script for a friend who has a server running solaris 11. My problem is the correct syntax i can't seem to get it work with the follow code, i have read through the date man page and found no work around Below is the code for part of the rsync script. The code i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paperghost
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting empty value into NA

I have a set of values separated by a tab ch:12 1 3 4 ch:13 3 3 4 ch:25 1 8 ch:23 2 8 1 There is a missing value in the third column and i would like replace it with NA such that the final output would look like ch:12 1 3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
7 Replies
Read(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 Read(3pm)

NAME
Spreadsheet::Read - Read the data from a spreadsheet SYNOPSIS
use Spreadsheet::Read; my $ref = ReadData ("test.csv", sep => ";"); my $ref = ReadData ("test.sxc"); my $ref = ReadData ("test.ods"); my $ref = ReadData ("test.xls"); my $ref = ReadData ("test.xlsx"); my $ref = ReadData ($fh, parser => "xls"); my $a3 = $ref->[1]{A3}, " "; # content of field A3 of sheet 1 DESCRIPTION
Spreadsheet::Read tries to transparently read *any* spreadsheet and return its content in a universal manner independent of the parsing module that does the actual spreadsheet scanning. For OpenOffice this module uses Spreadsheet::ReadSXC For Microsoft Excel this module uses Spreadsheet::ParseExcel or Spreadsheet::XLSX For CSV this module uses Text::CSV_XS (0.29 or up required, 0.73 or up preferred) or Text::CSV_PP (1.05 or up required). For SquirrelCalc there is a very simplistic built-in parser Data structure The data is returned as an array reference: $ref = [ # Entry 0 is the overall control hash { sheets => 2, sheet => { "Sheet 1" => 1, "Sheet 2" => 2, }, type => "xls", parser => "Spreadsheet::ParseExcel", version => 0.26, }, # Entry 1 is the first sheet { label => "Sheet 1", maxrow => 2, maxcol => 4, cell => [ undef, [ undef, 1 ], [ undef, undef, undef, undef, undef, "Nugget" ], ], A1 => 1, B5 => "Nugget", }, # Entry 2 is the second sheet { label => "Sheet 2", : : To keep as close contact to spreadsheet users, row and column 1 have index 1 too in the "cell" element of the sheet hash, so cell "A1" is the same as "cell" [1, 1] (column first). To switch between the two, there are two helper functions available: "cell2cr ()" and "cr2cell ()". The "cell" hash entry contains unformatted data, while the hash entries with the traditional labels contain the formatted values (if applicable). The control hash (the first entry in the returned array ref), contains some spreadsheet meta-data. The entry "sheet" is there to be able to find the sheets when accessing them by name: my %sheet2 = %{$ref->[$ref->[0]{sheet}{"Sheet 2"}]}; Functions my $ref = ReadData ($source [, option => value [, ... ]]); my $ref = ReadData ("file.csv", sep => ',', quote => '"'); my $ref = ReadData ("file.xls", dtfmt => "yyyy-mm-dd"); my $ref = ReadData ("file.ods"); my $ref = ReadData ("file.sxc"); my $ref = ReadData ("content.xml"); my $ref = ReadData ($content); my $ref = ReadData ($fh, parser => "xls"); Tries to convert the given file, string, or stream to the data structure described above. Processing Excel data from a stream or content is supported through a File::Temp temporary file or IO::Scalar when available. ReadSXC does preserve sheet order as of version 0.20. Currently supported options are: parser Force the data to be parsed by a specific format. Possible values are "csv", "prl" (or "perl"), "sc" (or "squirelcalc"), "sxc" (or "oo", "ods", "openoffice") "xls" (or "excel"), and "xlsx" (or "excel2007"). When parsing streams, instead of files, it is highly recommended to pass this option. cells Control the generation of named cells ("A1" etc). Default is true. rc Control the generation of the {cell}[c][r] entries. Default is true. attr Control the generation of the {attr}[c][r] entries. Default is false. See "Cell Attributes" below. clip If set, "ReadData ()" will remove all trailing lines and columns per sheet that have no visual data. This option is only valid if "cells" is true. The default value is true if "cells" is true, and false otherwise. strip If set, "ReadData ()" will remove trailing- and/or leading-whitespace from every field. strip leading strailing ----- ------- --------- 0 n/a n/a 1 strip n/a 2 n/a strip 3 strip strip sep Set separator for CSV. Default is comma ",". quote Set quote character for CSV. Default is """. dtfmt Set the format for M$Excel date fields that are set to use the default date format. The default format in Excel is 'm-d-yy', which is both not year 2000 safe, nor very useful. The default is now 'yyyy-mm-dd', which is more ISO-like. Note that date formatting in M$Excel is not reliable at all, as it will store/replace/change the date field separator in already stored formats if you change your locale settings. So the above mentioned default can be either "m-d-yy" OR "m/d/yy" depending on what that specific character happened to be at the time the user saved the file. debug Enable some diagnostic messages to STDERR. The value determines how much diagnostics are dumped (using Data::Dumper). A value of 9 and higher will dump the entire structure from the back-end parser. Using CSV In case of CSV parsing, "ReadData ()" will use the first line of the file to auto-detect the separation character if the first argument is a file and both "sep" and "quote" are not passed as attributes. Text::CSV_XS (or Text::CSV_PP) is able to automatically detect and use " " line endings). CSV can parse streams too, but be sure to pass "sep" and/or "quote" if these do not match the default "," and """. Functions my $cell = cr2cell (col, row) "cr2cell ()" converts a "(column, row)" pair (1 based) to the traditional cell notation: my $cell = cr2cell ( 4, 14); # $cell now "D14" my $cell = cr2cell (28, 4); # $cell now "AB4" my ($col, $row) = cell2cr ($cell) "cell2cr ()" converts traditional cell notation to a "(column, row)" pair (1 based): my ($col, $row) = cell2cr ("D14"); # returns ( 4, 14) my ($col, $row) = cell2cr ("AB4"); # returns (28, 4) my @row = row ($ref, $row) my @row = Spreadsheet::Read::row ($ss->[1], 3) Get full row of formatted values (like "$ss->{A3} .. $ss->{G3}") Note that the indexes in the returned list are 0-based. "row ()" is not imported by default, so either specify it in the use argument list, or call it fully qualified. my @row = cellrow ($ref, $row) my @row = Spreadsheet::Read::cellrow ($ss->[1], 3) Get full row of unformatted values (like "$ss->{cell}[1][3] .. $ss->{cell}[7][3]") Note that the indexes in the returned list are 0-based. "cellrow ()" is not imported by default, so either specify it in the use argument list, or call it fully qualified. my @rows = rows ($ref) my @rows = Spreadsheet::Read::rows ($ss->[1]) Convert "{cell}"'s "[column][row]" to a "[row][column]" list. Note that the indexes in the returned list are 0-based, where the index in the "{cell}" entry is 1-based. "rows ()" is not imported by default, so either specify it in the use argument list, or call it fully qualified. parses ($format) Spreadsheet::Read::parses ("CSV") "parses ()" returns Spreadsheet::Read's capability to parse the required format. "parses ()" is not imported by default, so either specify it in the use argument list, or call it fully qualified. my $rs_version = Version () my $v = Spreadsheet::Read::Version () Returns the current version of Spreadsheet::Read. "Version ()" is not imported by default, so either specify it in the use argument list, or call it fully qualified. Cell Attributes If the constructor was called with "attr" having a true value, effort is made to analyze and store field attributes like this: { label => "Sheet 1", maxrow => 5, maxcol => 2, cell => [ undef, [ undef, 1 ], [ undef, undef, undef, undef, undef, "Nugget" ], ], attr => [ undef, [ undef, { type => "numeric", fgcolor => "#ff0000", bgcolor => undef, font => "Arial", size => undef, format => "## ##0.00", halign => "right", valign => "top", uline => 0, bold => 0, italic => 0, wrap => 0, merged => 0, hidden => 0, locked => 0, enc => "utf-8", }, ] [ undef, undef, undef, undef, undef, { type => "text", fgcolor => "#e2e2e2", bgcolor => undef, font => "Letter Gothic", size => 15, format => undef, halign => "left", valign => "top", uline => 0, bold => 0, italic => 0, wrap => 0, merged => 0, hidden => 0, locked => 0, enc => "iso8859-1", }, ] A1 => 1, B5 => "Nugget", }, This has now been partially implemented, mainly for Excel, as the other parsers do not (yet) support all of that. YMMV. TODO
Options Module Options New Spreadsheet::Read options are bound to happen. I'm thinking of an option that disables the reading of the data entirely to speed up an index request (how many sheets/fields/columns). See "xlscat -i". Parser options Try to transparently support as many options as the encapsulated modules support regarding (un)formatted values, (date) formats, hidden columns rows or fields etc. These could be implemented like "attr" above but names "meta", or just be new values in the "attr" hashes. Other spreadsheet formats I consider adding any spreadsheet interface that offers a usable API. Add an OO interface Consider making the ref an object, though I currently don't see the big advantage (yet). Maybe I'll make it so that it is a hybrid functional / OO interface. SEE ALSO
Text::CSV_XS, Text::CSV_PP http://search.cpan.org/dist/Text-CSV_XS , http://search.cpan.org/dist/Text-CSV_PP , and http://search.cpan.org/dist/Text-CSV . Text::CSV is a wrapper over Text::CSV_XS (the fast XS version) and/or Text::CSV_PP (the pure perl version) Spreadsheet::ParseExcel http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-ParseExcel Spreadsheet::XLSX http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-XLSX Spreadsheet::ReadSXC http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-ReadSXC Spreadsheet::BasicRead http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-BasicRead for xlscat likewise functionality (Excel only) Spreadsheet::ConvertAA http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-ConvertAA for an alternative set of cell2cr () / cr2cell () pair Spreadsheet::Perl http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-Perl offers a Pure Perl implementation of a spreadsheet engine. Users that want this format to be supported in Spreadsheet::Read are hereby motivated to offer patches. It's not high on my TODO-list. xls2csv http://search.cpan.org/dist/xls2csv offers an alternative for my "xlscat -c", in the xls2csv tool, but this tool focuses on character encoding transparency, and requires some other modules. AUTHOR
H.Merijn Brand, <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2005-2010 H.Merijn Brand This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-10-15 Read(3pm)