Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Question about global environment variables & fork() exec() Post 303027558 by bodisha on Tuesday 18th of December 2018 02:06:02 PM
Old 12-18-2018
Question about global environment variables & fork() exec()

Hello... And thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me on my question! I've been doing a lot of reading to try and find my answer... But I haven't had any luck

What I'm trying to understand is where a child process inherits global environment variables from? I understand the exec() system call overwrites environment variable created by the fork()... But how does exec() cause global environment variables to be included with a newly created child process if all the environment variables are overwritten? My best guess is that global environment variables are somehow excluded from being overwritten... But I can't confirm this

Also... when does the fork() assign a PID to a child process? Before or after it copies itself into a new region of memory?

Thanks to everyone for any assistance!

Last edited by bodisha; 12-18-2018 at 04:21 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Fork and exec

Hello! I am working on a server where I should have 4 (resident)processes, one of them being "the father" of the others, so I do 3 forks. The problem that I have is that I do an accept (for sockets) in the "father" process and I want to transmit the job to one of the processes "child" with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: driki
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FORK/EXEC technique

Hi! Can someone explain me exactly this technique? Why a process (PARENT) creates a copy of itself with FORK (CHILD)? What's the reason of this behaviour? Sorry, but I cannot understand the logic behind it. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshmallow
4 Replies

3. Solaris

fork and exec ftp

Hi, I need to find/implement an application that FTPs (puts) all new files in a certain directory to an external storage unit. This application should check for new files every 10 seconds (leaving the FTP connection open in between the 10 seconds). The easiest way would be if there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KittyJ
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork and exec

I need to ssh to a remote server and run my script there. This is my script. $ssh = "ssh username@host"; $cmd = "$ssh 'cd <my dir> && < sudo Run_exe>'"; my $pid = fork; if ($pid == 0){ exec $cmd; } When I run this I get: pccons_getchar: got r == 0 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: looza
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to access ENV variables of non global zones in global zone???

Hi Guys, My requirement is I have file called /opt/orahome/.profile in non global zone. PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:. export PATH PS1="\${ORACLE_SID}:`hostname`:\$PWD$ " export PS1 EDITOR=vi export EDITOR ENV=/opt/orahome/.kshrc export ENV... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
1 Replies

6. Programming

How forbid use fork() in exec() program.

Hello World! I am writing code in C++ which have to launch another application X using exec(). I would like to set some limits on it using setrlimit etc... My problem is that i don't know how to forbid using fork() and strlimit by application X. How can i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzi
3 Replies

7. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork with exec

What is is difference between 'fork with exec' and 'fork without exec'? How both are related? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array - Export/Import in global environment variables.

Hello. During startup /etc/bash.bashrc.local generates some array ..... source /.../.../system_common_general_array_env_var ..... The file system_common_general_array_env_var contains : LEAP_VERSION='42.3' ARRAY_MAIN_REPO_LEAP=('zypper_local' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Non-Oss' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
FORK(2) 							System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork - spawn new process SYNOPSIS
fork( ) DESCRIPTION
Fork is the only way new processes are created. The new process's core image is a copy of that of the caller of fork. The only distinc- tion is the fact that the value returned in the old (parent) process contains the process ID of the new (child) process, while the value returned in the child is 0. Process ID's range from 1 to 30,000. This process ID is used by wait(2). Files open before the fork are shared, and have a common read-write pointer. In particular, this is the way that standard input and output files are passed and also how pipes are set up. SEE ALSO
wait(2), exec(2) DIAGNOSTICS
Returns -1 and fails to create a process if: there is inadequate swap space, the user is not super-user and has too many processes, or the system's process table is full. Only the super-user can take the last process-table slot. ASSEMBLER
(fork = 2.) sys fork (new process return) (old process return, new process ID in r0) The return locations in the old and new process differ by one word. The C-bit is set in the old process if a new process could not be cre- ated. FORK(2)