Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Confusing sed error message
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Confusing sed error message Post 303027546 by nezabudka on Tuesday 18th of December 2018 07:00:38 AM
Old 12-18-2018
awk does not print a key equal to 1. It's print when the key is zero. Post increment ++
Value is first equal to 0 and then 1, 2, etc.
0 == fals == no print
1 == true == print
but the sign of inversion ! makes so
!0 == true == print
!1 == false == no print
!2 == false == no print
when you enclose the script in brackets you can not put an inversion sign
In the body it does not work

Last edited by nezabudka; 12-18-2018 at 08:20 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

(Need Help) confusing format on solaris 10

Hi All, Very need help about format syntax on solaris 10. I have done install Solaris 10 OS on sun fire v245 but currently i have a problem to use "format" command to display partition info for my hard drive. i cannot enter the format menu, below is captured display : # format Searching... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusing Error

Hi all, Just subscribed to this forum. Not a regular user of Unix.:) I did the following: We have a directory structure /a/b/c5/ Where c5 is the only directory inside b. export ANOOP=/a/b/c*/ echo $ANOOP=/a/b/c5/ I have to create a symbolic link to anoop.txt in the directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusing me......!!!!!!

Hiii... There... I am making a Script in which I am taking the value of a variable "var" through key board. But I want, if no values are supplied for "var" for more than 5 seconds then script shuld automatically exit.Script is as follow : #cat abc #!/bin/bash echo "Enter Your Choice : "... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashantshukla
4 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

pikdev requirements confusing

I am looking at installing PiKdev which needs libqt3-mt and kdelibs4-dev. The installed package is qt-r1008952-i486-1 which claims to be a gui toolkit. find / -name "*libqt*" yields nothing with mt just a lot of support, compatible, and access widgets. Normally I would consider this a no go but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusing find command option

Hi, I am a little bit confusing of using find command. Actually, I am planning to delete the files whatever the files are existing in the day before yesterday. So, I am writing the command like this. find . -name "*.txt" -ctime -2 { here I am confusing, if I will use +2 or +1 also I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagraju.allam
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed garbled error message in bash shell

Sed garbled error. Cannot determine why the sed command to insert a line at the beginning of a file will not work on declared variables. outfile='DAR.V2.2012115.1.CSV' testfile='totality_request.sql' header_prefix='DATA FILE' no_ext_file=`echo $outfile |sed 's/\(.*\)..../\1/'` ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smenago
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to extract a multiline subject from a mail message

I'm trying to extract a subject from a mail message but my subject example has 2 lines. How can I manage to extract it and write a string at the end of it? Consider this example: From: test@domain.com Subject: Re: U =?ISO-8859-1?Q?qu=EA=3F!=3F!=3F!!_wtff_=E7=E3o_=ED=F3?= ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: twisterbr
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps command output confusing

Hi, I ran a script named cat item when I searched for this script using command PS I get two process . I don't understand this. Also this script has run for 15 minutes but the time is showing as 0:00:confused::confused: ps -ef | grep cat_item catmgr 4508 4486 0 05:10:29 ? 0:00... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusing of some basic awk

1. increase file space first, double space a file: awk '1;{print ""}' I probably can understand it:print a blank line every time.But when I read triple space a file I am confused: awk '1;{print "\n"}' doesn't it meaning print a blank line every time too? 2. number each line of file, but... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hhdzhu
6 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)