Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert ip ranges to CIDR netblock Post 303027262 by azdps on Wednesday 12th of December 2018 03:16:50 PM
Old 12-12-2018
After reviewing the suggested post I've come up with the following code:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Library with various ip manipulation functions
# convert ip ranges to CIDR notation

function range2cidr(ipStart, ipEnd,  bits, mask, newip) {
    bits = 1
    mask = 1
    while (bits < 32) {
        newip = or(ipStart, mask)
        if ((newip>ipEnd) || ((lshift(rshift(ipStart,bits),bits)) != ipStart)) {
           bits--
           mask = rshift(mask,1)
           break
        }
        bits++
        mask = lshift(mask,1)+1
    }
    newip = or(ipStart, mask)
    bits = 32 - bits
    result = dec2ip(ipStart) "/" bits
    if (newip < ipEnd) result = range2cidr(newip + 1, ipEnd)
    return result
}

# convert dotted quads to long decimal ip
#	int ip2dec("192.168.0.15")
#
function ip2dec(ip,   slice) {
	split(ip, slice, ".")
	return (slice[1] * 2^24) + (slice[2] * 2^16) + (slice[3] * 2^8) + slice[4]
}

# convert decimal long ip to dotted quads
#	str dec2ip(1171259392)
#
function dec2ip(dec,    ip, quad) {
	for (i=3; i>=1; i--) {
		quad = 256^i
		ip = ip int(dec/quad) "."
		dec = dec%quad
	}
	return ip dec
}

function sanitize(ip) {
	split(ip, slice, ".")
	return slice[1]/1 "." slice[2]/1 "." slice[3]/1 "." slice[4]/1
}

BEGIN{
	FS=" , | - "
}

# sanitize ip's
{$1 = sanitize($1); $2 = sanitize($2)}

# range with a single IP
$1==$2 {printf "%s\n", $1}

# ranges with multiple IP's
$1!=$2{print range2cidr(ip2dec($1), ip2dec($2))}

# footer
END {print "COMMIT\n"}

The ip address ranges are correctly converted to CIDR and printed to the console. Instead of printing to the console how do I send the information to a file instead? I don't need anything printed to the console. Also I was interested in mawk since might be faster than gawk. mawk doesn't have the lshift rshift etc. Can someone make the code more portable so I can use try mawk.

Thank you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get IP list from CIDR

Dear Srs :-) I'm looking for a shell script, that given a network in CIDR format it lists all IPs, for example: Preferredly a shell script, but a Perl, Python, C, etc.. is also welcome :-) I have been looking in sipcalc, ipcalc, etc.. options but this feature is not implemented :-( ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

date ranges

Hi, Please anyone help to achive this using perl or unix scripting . This is date in my table 20090224,based on the date need to check the files,If file exist for that date then increment by 1 for that date and check till max date 'i.e.20090301 and push those files . files1_20090224... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akil
2 Replies

3. Programming

How to parse IP range in CIDR format in C

Hello everybody, I'm coding a network program and i need it to "understand" ip ranges, but i don't know how to make to parse an IP CIDR range, let's say "172.16.10.0/24" to work with the specified IP range. I've found a program which does it, but i don't understand the code. Here is the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help filling in ranges

I have a list of about 200,000 lines in a text file that look like this: 1 1 120 1 80 200 1 150 270 5 50 170 5 100 220 5 300 420 The first column is an identifier, the next 2 columns are a range (always 120 value range) I'm trying fill in the values of those ranges, and remove... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: knott76
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Values between ranges

Hi, I have two files file1 chr1_22450_22500 chr2_12300_12350 chr1_34500_34550 file2 11000_13000 15000_19000 33000_44000 If the file 1 ranges fall between file2 ranges then assign the value of file2 in column 2 to file1 output: chr2_12300_12350 11000_13000 chr1_34500_34550 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert multiple number ranges into sequence?

Looking for a simple way to convert ranges to a numerical sequence that would assign the original value of the range to the individual numbers that are on the range. Thank you given data 13196-13199 0 13200 4 13201 10 13202-13207 3 13208-13210 7 desired... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcue25
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change ip addressing format from CIDR notation to netmask and vice versa?

Hi all, I would appreciate if someone could share how to convert CIDR notation to netmask and vice versa. The value below is just an example. it could be different numbers/ip addresses. Initial Output, let say file1.txt Final Output, let say file2.txt (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: type8code0
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert ip ranges to CIDR netblocks

Hi, Recently I had to convert a 280K lines of ip ranges to the CIDR notation and generate a file to be used by ipset (netfilter) for ip filtering. Input file: 000.000.000.000 - 000.255.255.255 , 000 , invalid ip 001.000.064.000 - 001.000.127.255 , 000 , XXXXX 001.000.245.123 -... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
10 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Blocked A6-Index and Entire AWS Netblock

Weary of seeing our load average go up to 50+, I just did a major block on these networks (stats over a less than 20 min interval): https://www.unix.com/members/1-albums215-picture866.png (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies
SYSTEMD.SLICE(5)						   systemd.slice						  SYSTEMD.SLICE(5)

NAME
systemd.slice - Slice unit configuration SYNOPSIS
slice.slice DESCRIPTION
A unit configuration file whose name ends in ".slice" encodes information about a slice unit. A slice unit is a concept for hierarchically managing resources of a group of processes. This management is performed by creating a node in the Linux Control Group (cgroup) tree. Units that manage processes (primarily scope and service units) may be assigned to a specific slice. For each slice, certain resource limits may be set that apply to all processes of all units contained in that slice. Slices are organized hierarchically in a tree. The name of the slice encodes the location in the tree. The name consists of a dash-separated series of names, which describes the path to the slice from the root slice. The root slice is named -.slice. Example: foo-bar.slice is a slice that is located within foo.slice, which in turn is located in the root slice -.slice. Note that slice units cannot be templated, nor is possible to add multiple names to a slice unit by creating additional symlinks to its unit file. By default, service and scope units are placed in system.slice, virtual machines and containers registered with systemd-machined(1) are found in machine.slice, and user sessions handled by systemd-logind(1) in user.slice. See systemd.special(5) for more information. See systemd.unit(5) for the common options of all unit configuration files. The common configuration items are configured in the generic [Unit] and [Install] sections. The slice specific configuration options are configured in the [Slice] section. Currently, only generic resource control settings as described in systemd.resource-control(5) are allowed. See the New Control Group Interfaces[1] for an introduction on how to make use of slice units from programs. IMPLICIT DEPENDENCIES
The following dependencies are implicitly added: o Slice units automatically gain dependencies of type After= and Requires= on their immediate parent slice unit. DEFAULT DEPENDENCIES
The following dependencies are added unless DefaultDependencies=no is set: o Slice units will automatically have dependencies of type Conflicts= and Before= on shutdown.target. These ensure that slice units are removed prior to system shutdown. Only slice units involved with late system shutdown should disable DefaultDependencies= option. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.unit(5), systemd.resource-control(5), systemd.service(5), systemd.scope(5), systemd.special(7), systemd.directives(7) NOTES
1. New Control Group Interfaces https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ControlGroupInterface/ systemd 237 SYSTEMD.SLICE(5)