Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to change value in field according to another Post 303027225 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 11th of December 2018 01:37:38 PM
Old 12-11-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccabe
... ... ...

If the debugging lines are being printed then each file is being read but not processed? Thank you very much Smilie.
No. Debugging lines are being printed (along with your desired output) because you set d to a non-zero, non-null value in exon.sh. The fact that you implied that the output files only contained three lines of debugging information and none of the output you were expecting tells me that you didn't bother to try to understand how the script I gave you works. That is very discouraging. I guess I'm wasting my time here.

What output do you get if you run the command:
Code:
grep -E 'splicing|intron|exon' /home/cmccabe/folder/less/00-0000_output.txt

What output were you hoping to have exon.sh put into the file named /home/cmccabe/folder/less/00-0000_output.txt?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change field content awk

I have a line like this: I want to move HTTP/1.1 200 OK to the next line and put a blank line between the two lines i.e. How can i get it using awk? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamically change awk Field Separator FS

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone knew how to dynamically change the FS in awk to accept vairiable containing a field separator. the current code is as below and does not work when i introduce the dynamic FS change :-( validate_source_file() { source_file=$1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk,cut fields by change field format

Hi Everyone, # cat 1.txt 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 # cat 1.txt | awk -F, '{OFS=",";print $1,$3,$4,$5}' 1321631,19,20091001011859,20091001011907... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed? change field conditional on key match

Hi. I'd appreciate if I can get some direction in this issue to get me going. Datafile1: -About 4000 records, I have to update field#4 in selected records based on a match in the key field (Field#1). -Field #1 is the key field (servername) . # of Fields may vary # comment server1 bbb ccc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RascalHoudi
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change field separator only from nth field until NF

Hi ! input: 111|222|333|aaa|bbb|ccc 999|888|777|nnn|kkk 444|666|555|eee|ttt|ooo|ppp With awk, I am trying to change the FS "|" to "; " only from the 4th field until the end (the number of fields vary between records). In order to get: 111|222|333|aaa; bbb; ccc 999|888|777|nnn; kkk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beca123456
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk :how to change delimiter without giving all field name

Hi Experts, i need to change delimiter from tab to "," sample test file cat test A0000368 A29938511 072569352 5 Any 2 for £1.00 BUTCHERS|CAT FOOD|400G Sep 12 2012 12:00AM Jan 5 2014 11:59PM Sep 7 2012 12:00AM M 2.000 group 5 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change value of field using multiple conditions

In the below awk in the first step I default Classification NF-1 to VUS. Next, I am trying to change the value of Classification (NF) to whatever CLINSIG (NF-1) is. If there is only one condition everything works great, but if there are two conditions it does not work. Is the syntax used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change contents of field based on condition in same file

In the awk below I am trying to copy the entire contents of $6 there may be multiple values seperated by a ;, to $8, if $8 is . (lines 1 and 3 are examples). If that condition $8 is not . (line2 is an example) then that line is skipped and printed as is. The awk does execute but prints the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
Bio::SeqFeature::Gene::Exon(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Bio::SeqFeature::Gene::Exon(3pm)

NAME
Bio::SeqFeature::Gene::Exon - a feature representing an exon SYNOPSIS
# obtain an exon instance $exon somehow print "exon from ", $exon->start(), " to ", $exon->end(), " on seq ", $exon->seq_id(), ", strand ", $exon->strand(), ", encodes the peptide sequence ", $exon->cds()->translate()->seq(), " "; DESCRIPTION
This module implements a feature representing an exon by implementing the Bio::SeqFeature::Gene::ExonI interface. By default an Exon is coding. Supply -is_coding => 0 to the constructor or call $exon->is_coding(0) otherwise. Apart from that, this class also implements Bio::SeqFeatureI by inheriting off Bio::SeqFeature::Generic. FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to one of the Bioperl mailing lists. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR - Hilmar Lapp Email hlapp@gmx.net APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ is_coding Title : is_coding Usage : if($exon->is_coding()) { # do something } if($is_utr) { $exon->is_coding(0); } Function: Get/set whether or not the exon codes for amino acid. Returns : TRUE if the object represents a feature translated into protein, and FALSE otherwise. Args : A boolean value on set. primary_tag Title : primary_tag Usage : $tag = $feat->primary_tag() $feat->primary_tag('exon') Function: Get/set the primary tag for the exon feature. This method is overridden here in order to allow only for tag values following a certain convention. For consistency reasons, the tag value must either contain the string 'exon' or the string 'utr' (both case-insensitive). In the case of 'exon', a string describing the type of exon may be appended or prefixed. Presently, the following types are allowed: initial, internal, and terminal (all case-insensitive). If the supplied tag value matches 'utr' (case-insensitive), is_coding() will automatically be set to FALSE, and to TRUE otherwise. Returns : A string. Args : A string on set. location Title : location Usage : my $location = $exon->location() Function: Returns a location object suitable for identifying the location of the exon on the sequence or parent feature. This method is overridden here to restrict allowed location types to non-compound locations. Returns : Bio::LocationI object Args : none cds Title : cds() Usage : $cds = $exon->cds(); Function: Get the coding sequence of the exon as a sequence object. The sequence of the returned object is prefixed by Ns (lower case) if the frame of the exon is defined and different from zero. The result is that the first base starts a codon (frame 0). This implementation returns undef if the particular exon is not translated to protein, i.e., is_coding() returns FALSE. Undef will also be returned if no sequence is attached to this exon feature. Returns : A Bio::PrimarySeqI implementing object. Args : perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::SeqFeature::Gene::Exon(3pm)