Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to change value in field according to another Post 303027203 by Don Cragun on Monday 10th of December 2018 07:29:54 PM
Old 12-10-2018
Hi cmccabe,
There were three debugging printfs in the code I suggested, you commented out one of them and removed the code that enabled those debugging statements to be controlled by the presence of operands passed to your script. That seems like a strange combination.

I would have thought that you would realize that we can't tell if your changes to exon.sh are going to work without seeing how you invoke exon.sh. Giving parameters to exon.sh that are ignored when you invoke it doesn't make much sense. (And it seems that the script you showed us in post #20 ignores any parameters that you give it when you invoke it.)

Having a for loop in a script that invokes exon.sh has no effect on exon.sh unless something in that loop passes one or more parameters to exon.sh that exon.sh uses to adjust its behavior (which the code you showed us in post #20 does not do) or you copy the input file you want to process into a file named 00-0000low before you invoke it and copy the data written into 00-0000_filter by exon.sh into whatever file you want to contain the output of that iteration through your loop. That seems like it is a lot of extra copying of data to get what you want, but it would mesh with the code you showed us in post #20.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change field content awk

I have a line like this: I want to move HTTP/1.1 200 OK to the next line and put a blank line between the two lines i.e. How can i get it using awk? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamically change awk Field Separator FS

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone knew how to dynamically change the FS in awk to accept vairiable containing a field separator. the current code is as below and does not work when i introduce the dynamic FS change :-( validate_source_file() { source_file=$1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk,cut fields by change field format

Hi Everyone, # cat 1.txt 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 # cat 1.txt | awk -F, '{OFS=",";print $1,$3,$4,$5}' 1321631,19,20091001011859,20091001011907... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed? change field conditional on key match

Hi. I'd appreciate if I can get some direction in this issue to get me going. Datafile1: -About 4000 records, I have to update field#4 in selected records based on a match in the key field (Field#1). -Field #1 is the key field (servername) . # of Fields may vary # comment server1 bbb ccc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RascalHoudi
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change field separator only from nth field until NF

Hi ! input: 111|222|333|aaa|bbb|ccc 999|888|777|nnn|kkk 444|666|555|eee|ttt|ooo|ppp With awk, I am trying to change the FS "|" to "; " only from the 4th field until the end (the number of fields vary between records). In order to get: 111|222|333|aaa; bbb; ccc 999|888|777|nnn; kkk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beca123456
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk :how to change delimiter without giving all field name

Hi Experts, i need to change delimiter from tab to "," sample test file cat test A0000368 A29938511 072569352 5 Any 2 for £1.00 BUTCHERS|CAT FOOD|400G Sep 12 2012 12:00AM Jan 5 2014 11:59PM Sep 7 2012 12:00AM M 2.000 group 5 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change value of field using multiple conditions

In the below awk in the first step I default Classification NF-1 to VUS. Next, I am trying to change the value of Classification (NF) to whatever CLINSIG (NF-1) is. If there is only one condition everything works great, but if there are two conditions it does not work. Is the syntax used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change contents of field based on condition in same file

In the awk below I am trying to copy the entire contents of $6 there may be multiple values seperated by a ;, to $8, if $8 is . (lines 1 and 3 are examples). If that condition $8 is not . (line2 is an example) then that line is skipped and printed as is. The awk does execute but prints the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
SIBsim4(1)							   User Manuals 							SIBsim4(1)

NAME
SIBsim4 - align RNA sequences with a DNA sequence, allowing for introns SYNOPSIS
SIBsim4 [ options ] dna rna_db DESCRIPTION
SIBsim4 is a similarity-based tool for aligning a collection of expressed sequences (EST, mRNA) with a genomic DNA sequence. Launching SIBsim4 without any arguments will print the options list, along with their default values. SIBsim4 employs a blast-based technique to first determine the basic matching blocks representing the "exon cores". In this first stage, it detects all possible exact matches of W-mers (i.e., DNA words of size W) between the two sequences and extends them to maximal scoring gap-free segments. In the second stage, the exon cores are extended into the adjacent as-yet-unmatched fragments using greedy alignment algorithms, and heuristics are used to favor configurations that conform to the splice-site recognition signals (e.g., GT-AG). If neces- sary, the process is repeated with less stringent parameters on the unmatched fragments. By default, SIBsim4 searches both strands and reports the best matches, measured by the number of matching nucleotides found in the align- ment. The R command line option can be used to restrict the search to one orientation (strand) only. Currently, four major alignment display options are supported, controlled by the A option. By default, only the endpoints, overall similar- ity, and orientation of the introns are reported. An arrow sign ('->' or '<-') indicates the orientation of the intron. The sign `==' marks the absence from the alignment of a cDNA fragment starting at that position. In the description below, the term MSP denotes a maximal scoring pair, that is, a pair of highly similar fragments in the two sequences, obtained during the blast-like procedure by extending a W-mer hit by matches and perhaps a few mismatches. OPTIONS
-A <int> output format 0: exon endpoints only 1: alignment text 3: both exon endpoints and alignment text 4: both exon endpoints and alignment text with polyA info Note that 2 is unimplemented. Default value is 0. -C <int> MSP score threshold for the second pass. Default value is 12. -c <int> minimum score cutoff value. Alignments which have scores below this value are not reported. Default value is 50. -E <int> cutoff value. Default value is 3. -f <int> score filter in percent. When multiple hits are detected for the same RNA element, only those having a score within this percentage of the maximal score for that RNA element are reported. Setting this value to 0 disables filtering and all hits will be reported, provided their score is above the cutoff value specified through the c option. Default value is 75. -g <int> join exons when gap on genomic and RNA have lengths which differ at most by this percentage. Default value is 10. -H <int> report chimeric transcripts when the best score is lower than this percentage of the overall RNA coverage and the chimera score is greater than this percentage of the RNA length (0 disables this report) Default value is 75. -I <int> window width in which to search for intron splicing. Default value is 6. -K <int> MSP score threshold for the first pass. Default value is 16. -L <str> a comma separated list of forward splice-types. Default value is "GTAG,GCAG,GTAC,ATAC". -M <int> scoring splice sites, evaluate match within M nucleotides. Default value is 10. -o <int> when printing results, offset nt positions in dna sequence by this amount. Default value is 0. -q <int> penalty for a nucleotide mismatch. Default value is -5. -R <int> direction of search 0: search the '+' (direct) strand only 1: search the '-' strand only 2: search both strands Default value is 2. -r <int> reward for a nucleotide match. Default value is 1. -S <int> splice site indels search breadth. While determining the best position of a splice site, SIBsim4 will evaluate adding at most this number of insertions and deletions on the DNA strand on each side of the splice junction. Default value is 2. -s <int> split score in percent. While linking MSP, if two consecutive group of exons appear like they could be part of two different copies of the same gene, they will be tested to see if the score of each individual group relative to the best overall score is greater than this value. If both groups have a relative score above this threshold they will be split. Default value is 75. -W <int> word size. Default value is 12. -X <int> value for terminating word extensions. Default value is 12. Bioinformatics April 2007 SIBsim4(1)