Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SQL: copying data up
Top Forums Programming SQL: copying data up Post 303027141 by Neo on Monday 10th of December 2018 06:37:16 AM
Old 12-10-2018
Maybe you should simplify this and INSERT the data in the table in a loop versus trying to import all the data in one single INSERT chuck? Sometimes doing things in a simple way (INSERT in loop) have easier results to understand that some sweeping method, all in one statement method (INSERT).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying data to raw devices using 'dd'

Hello all, I'm new here, so this information may exist elsewhere on this forum. If so, please point me in the right direction. Here's the problem. I'm trying to migrate Oracle data from an HP system to a Sun system using a raw device as a 'bridge' between the two systems. Both machines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neville
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress the contents of a directory while copying data into it

Hi guys I have a need to compress the contents of a directory while I am copying data into it. I was able to do this when it was only one file by doing as below: STEP1: mknod myfile p STEP2: chmod 777 myfile STEP3: compress -v < myfile > myfile.Z & STEP4: cp -p xyz_file myfile... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user1602
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying data from excel file

Hii friends, I am a newbie to unix/shell scripting and got stuck in implementing a functionality.Dear experts,kindly spare some time to bring me out of dark pit :confused:.. My requirement is somewhat wierd,let me explain what i have and what i need to do... 1) there are several excel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 5ahen
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sql data file in unix csv file as input to an sql query from shell

Hi , I used the below script to get the sql data into csv file using unix scripting. I m getting the output into an output file but the output file is not displayed in a separe columns . #!/bin/ksh export FILE_PATH=/maav/home/xyz/abc/ rm $FILE_PATH/sample.csv sqlplus -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nareshp
2 Replies

5. Programming

Doubt in C programming (copying data from one file to another)

Hello, i'm new to the forum and so am i to C programming. Recently i've gotten a task to create a program that will read an existing .bin file and copy the data to a non existing (so i have to create it) .txt file (some type of conversion) Now, i now how to put the arguments, opening and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lyric
5 Replies

6. Programming

SQL: copying data down

I have a series of observations of which one column is sometimes missing (zero): date temp delta 1977 284.54 29.84 1978 149.82 0 1979 320.71 28.45 1980 176.76 0 1981 854.65 0 1984 817.65 0 1985 990.58 27.98 1986 410.21 0 1987 405.93 0 1988 482.9 0 What I would like to achieve is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying data from files to directories

I have the following that I'd like to do: 1. I have split a file into separate files that I placed into the /tmp directory. These files are named F1 F2 F3 F4. 2. In addition, I have several directories which are alphabetized as dira dirb dirc dird. 3. I'd like to be able to copy F1 F2 F3 F4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Copying data from one file server to another

Hello people, I have a question regarding transferring data from one file server to another. The server is a Solaris 9 box The old file server is connected via Ethernet cable, and the new file server we are switching is a Fiber channel. can I use the dd if=server:/app1 of=server2:/app1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: br1an
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying part of a data file into another

Hi, I have a large number of data files each containing simple integers from 1 to around 25000 in ascending order. However, they are not in a specific progression; some numbers are missing in each file. For ex. datfile1 may have the numbers in order 1 2 4 6 7 8 12 ... 24996 24999 while datfile2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: latsyrc
8 Replies

10. Red Hat

Copying data from USB CD Drive.

I need to perform operation as captioned. I found out USB CD Drive is attached, by running 'lsusb' command. I am trying to identify mechanism by which I could mount this USB CD drive to disk. After which I expect to copy the contents. Could anyone indicate how this could be performed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
3 Replies
INSERT(7)							   SQL Commands 							 INSERT(7)

NAME
INSERT - create new rows in a table SYNOPSIS
INSERT INTO table [ ( column [, ...] ) ] { DEFAULT VALUES | VALUES ( { expression | DEFAULT } [, ...] ) | SELECT query } INPUTS table The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing table. column The name of a column in table. DEFAULT VALUES All columns will be filled by null values or by values specified when the table was created using DEFAULT clauses. expression A valid expression or value to assign to column. DEFAULT This column will be filled in by the column DEFAULT clause, or NULL if a default is not available. query A valid query. Refer to the SELECT statement for a further description of valid arguments. OUTPUTS INSERT oid 1 Message returned if only one row was inserted. oid is the numeric OID of the inserted row. INSERT 0 # Message returned if more than one rows were inserted. # is the number of rows inserted. DESCRIPTION
INSERT allows one to insert new rows into a table. One can insert a single row at a time or several rows as a result of a query. The col- umns in the target list may be listed in any order. Each column not present in the target list will be inserted using a default value, either a declared DEFAULT value or NULL. PostgreSQL will reject the new column if a NULL is inserted into a column declared NOT NULL. If the expression for each column is not of the correct data type, automatic type coercion will be attempted. You must have insert privilege to a table in order to append to it, as well as select privilege on any table specified in a WHERE clause. USAGE
Insert a single row into table films: INSERT INTO films VALUES ('UA502','Bananas',105,'1971-07-13','Comedy',INTERVAL '82 minute'); In this second example the last column len is omitted and therefore it will have the default value of NULL: INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('T_601', 'Yojimbo', 106, DATE '1961-06-16', 'Drama'); In the third example, we use the DEFAULT values for the date columns rather than specifying an entry. INSERT INTO films VALUES ('UA502','Bananas',105,DEFAULT,'Comedy',INTERVAL '82 minute'); INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('T_601', 'Yojimbo', 106, DEFAULT, 'Drama'); Insert a single row into table distributors; note that only column name is specified, so the omitted column did will be assigned its default value: INSERT INTO distributors (name) VALUES ('British Lion'); Insert several rows into table films from table tmp: INSERT INTO films SELECT * FROM tmp; Insert into arrays (refer to the PostgreSQL User's Guide for further information about arrays): -- Create an empty 3x3 gameboard for noughts-and-crosses -- (all of these queries create the same board attribute) INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board[1:3][1:3]) VALUES (1,'{{"","",""},{},{"",""}}'); INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board[3][3]) VALUES (2,'{}'); INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board) VALUES (3,'{{,,},{,,},{,,}}'); COMPATIBILITY
SQL92 INSERT is fully compatible with SQL92. Possible limitations in features of the query clause are documented for SELECT [select(7)]. SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 INSERT(7)