Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combining a declared variable with a temporary variable Post 303027103 by clee on Sunday 9th of December 2018 05:53:28 PM
Old 12-09-2018
Combining a declared variable with a temporary variable

Hi folks!

Kind of a noob question... from an OLD AIX/HPUX Admin.

I am writing a script to ease use of a command; an extended aliasing if you will. What I want to do is set several variables (OPT1, OPT2, etc) with command arguments, such as --help, --list-all, etc. Later in the script, I have a menu that queries for a number option and the selects the appropriate declared variable.

What i need to do is pass $COMMAND $OPT"$NUMBER". How is this quoted to make it happen? See my code below.

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#ident  "@(#)fwcmd.bash  v2.1  Last Mod: 120918" 
#
########################################################################
# fwcmd.bash
#
# Christopher B. Lee
# for LeeVault
#
#
# Last Modification: 120918
# Purpose:     Script to run selected firewall-cmd commands from a menu-like
#            interface
# Scope:    Runs firewall-cmd with either stated options on the command line,
#        or in the absence of command line options, presents a menu of 
#        frequently used options.
#
# Modification History
#
#
# DECLARED VARIABLES
FWCMD="firewall-cmd --"
OPT1="state"
OPT2="panic-on"
OPT3="panic-off"
OPT4="query-panic"
OPT5=""
OPT6=""
OPT7="help"

if [ -n "$1" ]
then 
    $FWCMD$1
    exit 0
else
    echo "FIREWALL COMMANDER"
    echo ""
    echo "Select From the floowing options:"
    echo "     (1)Show STATE of the Firewall"
    echo "     (2)Set Panic Mode ON"
    echo "     (3)Set Panic Mode OFF"
    echo "     (4)Show the Panic Mode Status"
    echo "     (5)NULL"
    echo "     (6)NULL"
    echo "     (7)Print out the HELP information"
    echo "Selection (1-7)"
fi

read PICK
if [ -n "$PICK" ]
then
    $FWCMD$OPT"($PICK)"
else
    echo "Selection not made."
fi

exit 0
EOF

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining Two fixed width columns to a variable length file

Hi, I have two files. File1: File1 contains two fixed width columns ID of 15 characters length and Name is of 100 characters length. ID Name 1-43<<11 spaces>>Swapna<<94 spaces>> 1-234<<10 spaces>>Mani<<96 spaces>> 1-3456<<9 spaces>>Kapil<<95 spaces>> File2: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script: Bind variable not declared

Hi Friends, I am trying to run a sql query from shell script as below but I get "Bind variable "1" not declared" error. 1.sh shell script has following: sDb="abc/xyz@aaa" a="1.sql" sqlplus -s $sDb @$a $1 1.sql file has following: spool Result.tmp append select cust_name from orders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppat7046
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple variables into new variable

Hello, I am a new joiner to the forum, and have what i hope is a simple question, however I can't seem to find the answer so maybe it is not available within bash scripting. I intend to use the below script to archive files from multiple directories at once by using a loop, and a variable (n)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dring
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

write in file using printf with variable declared with a phrase

Hi guys, kinda new to unix/linux, could you please help me figure this out. i need to write in a file using printf. printf "%-20s %-40s %-20s\n" $a $b $c >> out.txt but a, b and c are declared in a header file: a='I am a dog' b='I am a cat' c='I am a fish' i want the file to look like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kokoro
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies
ROUND(3)								 1								  ROUND(3)

round - Rounds a float

SYNOPSIS
float round (float $val, [int $precision], [int $mode = PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the rounded value of $val to specified $precision (number of digits after the decimal point). $precision can also be negative or zero (default). Note PHP doesn't handle strings like "12,300.2" correctly by default. See converting from strings. PARAMETERS
o $val - The value to round o $precision - The optional number of decimal digits to round to. o $mode - Use one of the following constants to specify the mode in which rounding occurs. +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | | | | PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP | | | | | | | Round $val up to $precision decimal places away | | | from zero, when it is half way there. Making 1.5 | | | into 2 and -1.5 into -2. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN | | | | | | | Round $val down to $precision decimal places | | | towards zero, when it is half way there. Making | | | 1.5 into 1 and -1.5 into -1. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next even value. | | | | | | | |PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD | | | | | | | Round $val to $precision decimal places towards | | | the next odd value. | | | | +--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
The rounded value EXAMPLES
Example #1 round(3) examples <?php echo round(3.4); // 3 echo round(3.5); // 4 echo round(3.6); // 4 echo round(3.6, 0); // 4 echo round(1.95583, 2); // 1.96 echo round(1241757, -3); // 1242000 echo round(5.045, 2); // 5.05 echo round(5.055, 2); // 5.06 ?> Example #2 $mode examples <?php echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 9 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 10 echo round(9.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 9 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 8 echo round(8.5, 0, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 9 ?> Example #3 $mode with precision examples <?php /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_UP); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_DOWN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.6 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.6 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_EVEN); // -1.5 /* Using PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD with 1 decimal digit precision */ echo round( 1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round( 1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // 1.5 echo round(-1.55, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 echo round(-1.54, 1, PHP_ROUND_HALF_ODD); // -1.5 ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | The $mode parameter was introduced. | | | | | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The inner workings of round(3) was changed to | | | conform to the C99 standard. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ceil(3), floor(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group ROUND(3)