Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to change value in field according to another Post 303027080 by Don Cragun on Saturday 8th of December 2018 10:47:31 AM
Old 12-08-2018
Did you try running the logical equivalent of:
Code:
for file in path/to/*.txt ; do
     echo "$file"
     bname=$(basename "$file")
     pref="${bname%%_*.txt}"
     echo "bname: \"$bname\"   pref:\"$pref\""
     # bash /path/to/exon.sh static "$file" > "path/to/${pref}_output.txt"
done

with your actual pathnames and operands, as bakunin suggested? Please show us the output that produced! Like bakunin, I find it hard to believe that pref is being set to the value that I would assume you are trying to set (which isn't at all clear to me).

And, when you run the loop:
Code:
for file in /home/cmccabe/folder/less/*.txt ; do
     bname=$(basename "$file")
     pref="${bname%%_*.txt}"
     set -xv
     /home/cmccabe/folder/less/exon.sh /home/cmccabe/folder/less/all_cdsV2 "$file" \> /home/cmccabe/folder/less/${pref}_output.txt
done
set +xv

(which has the set +xv line after the done instead of before it like bakunin suggested), the whole purpose of enabling tracing on the invocations of exon.sh is so we can all see the trace output produced. But, you haven't shown us any of the trace output???

Please try this slight modification to the above, and show us the output that it produces:
Code:
for file in /home/cmccabe/folder/less/*.txt
do   bname=$(basename "$file")
     pref=${bname%%_*.txt}
     echo "file:\"$file\"    bname:\"$bname\"    pref:\"$pref\""
     echo "output will be directed to:\"/home/cmccabe/folder/less/${pref}_output.txt\""
     #/home/cmccabe/folder/less/exon.sh /home/cmccabe/folder/less/all_cdsV2 "$file" > "/home/cmccabe/folder/less/${pref}_output.txt"
done

If, and only if, that produces the values that you expect for bname, pref, and the pathname of the file you want to produce, then also try running the following:
Code:
for file in /home/cmccabe/folder/less/*.txt
do   bname=$(basename "$file")
     pref=${bname%%_*.txt}
     #echo "file:\"$file\"    bname:\"$bname\"    pref:\"$pref\""
     #echo "output will be directed to:\"/home/cmccabe/folder/less/${pref}_output.txt\""
     set -xv
     /home/cmccabe/folder/less/exon.sh /home/cmccabe/folder/less/all_cdsV2 "$file" > "/home/cmccabe/folder/less/${pref}_output.txt"
     set +xv
done

and show us the output that produces.

Note that I am not sure why bakunin suggested using \> in the exon.sh command. Doing that makes the redirection operator and the intended output file become operands to exon.sh instead of being a redirection.

I also note that the exon.sh can't be the script that I supplied in post #11. That script didn't look at any of its operands; it only used the presence of one or more operands as a flag to enable debugging printouts. I will assume that you removed the debugging printf statements and the d variable and are using the two operands you are passing to exon.sh as the two filenames processed by that script.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change field content awk

I have a line like this: I want to move HTTP/1.1 200 OK to the next line and put a blank line between the two lines i.e. How can i get it using awk? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamically change awk Field Separator FS

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone knew how to dynamically change the FS in awk to accept vairiable containing a field separator. the current code is as below and does not work when i introduce the dynamic FS change :-( validate_source_file() { source_file=$1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk,cut fields by change field format

Hi Everyone, # cat 1.txt 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 # cat 1.txt | awk -F, '{OFS=",";print $1,$3,$4,$5}' 1321631,19,20091001011859,20091001011907... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed? change field conditional on key match

Hi. I'd appreciate if I can get some direction in this issue to get me going. Datafile1: -About 4000 records, I have to update field#4 in selected records based on a match in the key field (Field#1). -Field #1 is the key field (servername) . # of Fields may vary # comment server1 bbb ccc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RascalHoudi
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change field separator only from nth field until NF

Hi ! input: 111|222|333|aaa|bbb|ccc 999|888|777|nnn|kkk 444|666|555|eee|ttt|ooo|ppp With awk, I am trying to change the FS "|" to "; " only from the 4th field until the end (the number of fields vary between records). In order to get: 111|222|333|aaa; bbb; ccc 999|888|777|nnn; kkk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beca123456
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk :how to change delimiter without giving all field name

Hi Experts, i need to change delimiter from tab to "," sample test file cat test A0000368 A29938511 072569352 5 Any 2 for £1.00 BUTCHERS|CAT FOOD|400G Sep 12 2012 12:00AM Jan 5 2014 11:59PM Sep 7 2012 12:00AM M 2.000 group 5 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change value of field using multiple conditions

In the below awk in the first step I default Classification NF-1 to VUS. Next, I am trying to change the value of Classification (NF) to whatever CLINSIG (NF-1) is. If there is only one condition everything works great, but if there are two conditions it does not work. Is the syntax used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change contents of field based on condition in same file

In the awk below I am trying to copy the entire contents of $6 there may be multiple values seperated by a ;, to $8, if $8 is . (lines 1 and 3 are examples). If that condition $8 is not . (line2 is an example) then that line is skipped and printed as is. The awk does execute but prints the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies