Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to change value in field according to another Post 303027057 by cmccabe on Saturday 8th of December 2018 08:39:12 AM
Old 12-08-2018
I truely appreciate the helpful troubleshooting tips and explanations. I will use them to debug and post back. I did learn as a reseacher and am always trying to refine and improve my technique. I don't know if I will get there, but i will always try and practice. Biology and programming are essential and interesting. Thank you again 😀.

--- Post updated 12-08-18 at 07:39 AM ---

The variables are all being populated correctly but using set -xv, thank you... the script never gets past or to the done (it stalls on the bold line.

Code:
for file in /home/cmccabe/folder/less/*.txt ; do
     bname=$(basename "$file")
     pref="${bname%%_*.txt}"
     set -xv
     /home/cmccabe/folder/less/exon.sh /home/cmccabe/folder/less/all_cdsV2 "$file" \> /home/cmccabe/folder/less/${pref}_output.txt
done
set +xv

So since the first .txt file never completes the second one never starts processing. Why this is seems to be my issue no its a matter off figuring out the why. Thank you for the helpful "talk", I appreciate it Smilie.

I ran bash -x

Code:
for file in /home/cmccabe/folder/less/*.txt ; do
     bname=$(basename "$file")
     pref="${bname%%_*.txt}"
     bash -x /home/cmccabe/folder/less/exon.sh /home/cmccabe/folder/less/all_cdsV2 "$file" > /home/cmccabe/folder/less/${pref}_output.txt
done

and confirmed the .txt files are not being passed to the exon script as input.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 12-08-2018 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Fix CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change field content awk

I have a line like this: I want to move HTTP/1.1 200 OK to the next line and put a blank line between the two lines i.e. How can i get it using awk? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamically change awk Field Separator FS

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone knew how to dynamically change the FS in awk to accept vairiable containing a field separator. the current code is as below and does not work when i introduce the dynamic FS change :-( validate_source_file() { source_file=$1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk,cut fields by change field format

Hi Everyone, # cat 1.txt 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 1321631,77770132976455,19,20091001011859,20091001011907 # cat 1.txt | awk -F, '{OFS=",";print $1,$3,$4,$5}' 1321631,19,20091001011859,20091001011907... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed? change field conditional on key match

Hi. I'd appreciate if I can get some direction in this issue to get me going. Datafile1: -About 4000 records, I have to update field#4 in selected records based on a match in the key field (Field#1). -Field #1 is the key field (servername) . # of Fields may vary # comment server1 bbb ccc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RascalHoudi
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change field separator only from nth field until NF

Hi ! input: 111|222|333|aaa|bbb|ccc 999|888|777|nnn|kkk 444|666|555|eee|ttt|ooo|ppp With awk, I am trying to change the FS "|" to "; " only from the 4th field until the end (the number of fields vary between records). In order to get: 111|222|333|aaa; bbb; ccc 999|888|777|nnn; kkk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beca123456
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk :how to change delimiter without giving all field name

Hi Experts, i need to change delimiter from tab to "," sample test file cat test A0000368 A29938511 072569352 5 Any 2 for £1.00 BUTCHERS|CAT FOOD|400G Sep 12 2012 12:00AM Jan 5 2014 11:59PM Sep 7 2012 12:00AM M 2.000 group 5 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change value of field using multiple conditions

In the below awk in the first step I default Classification NF-1 to VUS. Next, I am trying to change the value of Classification (NF) to whatever CLINSIG (NF-1) is. If there is only one condition everything works great, but if there are two conditions it does not work. Is the syntax used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change contents of field based on condition in same file

In the awk below I am trying to copy the entire contents of $6 there may be multiple values seperated by a ;, to $8, if $8 is . (lines 1 and 3 are examples). If that condition $8 is not . (line2 is an example) then that line is skipped and printed as is. The awk does execute but prints the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
RMF(1)                                                               [nmh-1.5]                                                              RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)