Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing numbering from last character Post 303026890 by khchong on Tuesday 4th of December 2018 09:45:08 PM
Old 12-04-2018
Removing numbering from last character

Hi,
I have a file test.txt, below the contents:

Code:
SCDE1
SF9
STR1D2
SREDF21
FRED
STER2R4

I want to remove only the last character if it is the number, so the output should as below:

Code:
SCDE
SF
STR1D
SREDF2
FRED
STER2R

Any help or assistant will greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by khchong; 12-04-2018 at 10:52 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing the ^M character in VI

Hello, I am attempting to remove all the ^M characters in a file in VI. The command I am using is :1,$s/^V^M//g but it doesn't work, saying 'substitute pattern match failed'. Any ideas why? Jules (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: julesinbath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing first character in a string

While writing a shell script i happen to store some value in a string. Lets say the value is 59788. Now in this script i want to get the value 9788 removing the first charater 5. The original string length usually remains constant. Is there a single line command to do this or any simple way to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing character ' from a variable

Hello there, I have a variable in the form of '/example/file.txt' . I want to remove the ' characters from the beginning and the end so that the my new variable becomes /example/file.txt . How can I do it in a script? I know this is a fairly easy question, but i wasn't able to implement it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sertansenturk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Control M character

Hi, I'm using MKS tool kit to execute KSH on windows and samba to move files to unix from windows. My script is appending header record for the data file. I'm using echo "$header" > $SambaFilename cat $windowsfile >> $SambaFilename But after execution of script ,The file in Unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing ^Z Character in a File

Hi, I am having a pipe (|) delimited file which is having ^Z character in the middle of the text.Could anyone please suggest me how to remove this ^Z Character from the file.I almost used all the ideas posted in this site but none of them worked in my case since tis ^Z character is not coming at... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix86
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some help removing a character from name

I have a file like this: DDD_ABCDE2AB2_1104081408.104480 I need to remove the 1 after the . in the file name so that it reads: DDD_ABCDE2AB2_1104081408.04480 Having some difficulty getting the command to work. I tried using cut -d 26 but that just doesn't work. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a character

I need to remove square brackets from output of script. Output is: and I need to remove the square brackets so I am lett with 121 Is sed the only means to do this and if so what are the options? ...ok so far I have managed to get rid of ] by using /usr/bin/sed 's/]//' but that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rob171171
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing last character

Hi, I have a file that has data something like below: A B C D ..... ...... .....and so on I am trying to bring it in one line with comma delimited something like below : A,B,C,D I tried the something below in the code section: cat File.txt | tr '\n' ',' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing of junk character

Dear ALL, How to remove junk charecter ^M from unix file i am using sun solaris unix. I already tried few commands :%s/^M//g :%s/r//g but it didnt helped me. Any help appriciated. Thanks Ripudaman Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripudaman.singh
5 Replies
nl(1)							      General Commands Manual							     nl(1)

Name
       nl - line numbering filter

Syntax
       nl [-h type] [-b type] [-f type] [-v start#] [-i incr] [-p ] [-l num] [-s sep] [-w width] [-n format] [-d delim] file

Description
       The  command reads lines from the named file or from the standard input, if no file is named, and reproduces the lines on the standard out-
       put.  Lines are numbered on the left in accordance with the command options in effect.

The command views the text it reads in terms of logical pages.  Line numbering is reset at the start of each logical page.  A logical  page
       consists  of  a header, a body, and a footer section.  Empty sections are valid.  Different line numbering options are independently avail-
       able for header, body, and footer.  For example, you can elect not to number header and footer lines while numbering  blank  lines  in  the
       body.

The start of logical page sections is signaled by input lines containing nothing but the following delimiter characters:

Line contents	Start of

::: 	header

::		body

:		footer

Unless otherwise specified, assumes that the text it is reading is in the body of a single logical page.

Options
       Command options may appear in any order and may be intermingled with an optional file name.  Only one file may be named.

-b type		   Specifies  which  logical page body lines are to be numbered.  The following are recognized types and their meaning: a,
			   number all lines; t, number lines with printable text only; n, no line numbering; pstring, number only lines that  con-
			   tain the regular expression specified in string.

The default type for logical page body is t (text lines numbered).

-h type		   Same as -b type except for header.  Default type for logical page header is n (no lines numbered).

-f type		   Same as -b type except for footer.  Default for logical page footer is n (no lines numbered).

-p		   Do not restart numbering at logical page delimiters.

-v start#	   The initial value used to number logical page lines.  Default is 1.

-i incr		   The increment value used to number logical page lines.  Default is 1.

-s sep		   The character used in separating the line number and the corresponding text line.  Default sep is a tab.

-w width 	   The number of characters used for the line number.  Default width is 6.

-n format	   The	line  numbering  format.   Recognized values are the following: ln, left justified, leading zeroes suppressed; rn,
			   right justified, leading zeroes suppressed; rz, right justified, leading zeroes kept.  Default format is rn (right jus-
			   tified).

-l num		   The	number	of  blank lines to be considered as one.  For example, -l2 results in only the second adjacent blank being
			   numbered (if the appropriate -ha, -ba, or -fa option is set).  Default is 1.

-d xx		   The delimiter characters specifying the start of a logical page section may be changed from the default characters (:)
			   to two user-specified characters.  If only one character is entered, the second character remains the default character
			   (:).  No space should appear between the -d and the delimiter characters.  To enter a  backslash,  you  must  type  two
			   backslashes (//).

Examples
       nl -v10 -i10 -d!+ file1
       This command numbers file1 starting at line number 10 with an increment of ten.	The logical page delimiters are !+.

See Also
       pr(1)

nl(1)