Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change run level at boot
Operating Systems Solaris Change run level at boot Post 303026866 by badbanana on Tuesday 4th of December 2018 08:05:58 AM
Old 12-04-2018
Change run level at boot

for solaris 11, how does one change the run level at boot from 3 to 2?
i checked "/etc/inittab" file where i usually change it in other *nix but it seems solaris is not using it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Find run-level in solaris 8.

When the solaris 8 have come up, which command can find out the current run-level? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nianzhe
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Confusion In run level...

Dear Friends..!! i am quit confused about the SOLARIES RUN level that is 0 . 1 or s S ... please let me know the diffirence between these run level ... 0,1 and s S... have a great day Uday naikwadi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udayn
1 Replies

3. SuSE

Run Level Services file

Hello, I recently updated a test system from Suse 8 to 9.3. Now our runlevel services program doesn't work, but works fine on our other 9.3 boxes. We have a file in /etc/init.d/rc3.d called S99fooprog(not actual name ofcourse). It just has a command to start a program daemon up. Anyways... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Run Level 1, S and small s

Hi Experts, A stupid question for experts :confused: !! What is the difference between run level ‘1', runlevel ‘S' and small ‘s'. As per my understanding the difference between S and 1 is that in case of ‘S' it only going to mount the critical file system which ideal should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to get the initdefault run level in Solaris 10

Hi All, In Solaris 9 and below I will get the init run-level by checking the /etc/inittab entry is:3:initdefault: But in Solaris 10 we are using the smf functionality. Here how I can get the init default run level. Please help me in this problem. Regards, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Difference between run level & init level

what are the major Difference Between run level & init level (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When the run level is changed from 5 to 3?

A Bourne Shell script is placed in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d called S57apache. What will happen with this script when the run level is changed from 5 to 3? many thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemon_06
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Run Level Modification

Hello, I'm creating a VM Image of Solaris 10 on VM Player. I've completed the installation & I am using the Java Desktop as my default logon. I need to modify the Run Level to Console Mode (permanently). Unlike previous versions or Linux, modifying inittab file is not an option here. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - what run level

Is there a way to tell what runlevel is currently being used, for example is a user is using the gui or is the have pressed Alt+Ctrl+F1 to drop to the terminal?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Network monitoring at boot level.

Whenever i start my server it takes app 2 minutes to get into network (After starting the network service on boot). I inquire the network guys for possible causes but they say it will need both side monitoring . One is switch side and the second is server side. I m not sure how do i check... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
6 Replies
inittab(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							inittab(4)

NAME
inittab - script for the boot process DESCRIPTION
The file supplies the script to the boot daemon in its role as a general process dispatcher (see init(1M)). The process that constitutes the majority of boot process dispatching activities is the line process that initiates individual terminal lines. Other processes typi- cally dispatched by boot are daemons and shells. The file is composed of entries that are position-dependent and have the following format: Each entry is delimited by a newline; however, a backslash preceding a newline indicates a continuation of the entry. Up to 1024 charac- ters per entry are permitted. Comments can be inserted in the process field by starting a "word" with a (see sh(1)). Comments for lines that spawn are displayed by the command (see who(1)). It is expected that they will contain some information about the line such as the location. There are no limits (other than maximum entry size) imposed on the number of entries within the file. The entry fields are: id A one- to four-character value used to uniquely identify an entry. Duplicate entries cause an error message to be issued, but are otherwise ignored. The use of a four-character value to identify an entry is strongly recommended (see WARNINGS below). rstate Defines the run level in which this entry is to be processed. Run levels correspond to a configuration of processes in the system where each process spawned by boot is assigned one or more run levels in which it is allowed to exist. Run levels are represented by a number in the range through For example, if the system is in run level only those entries hav- ing a in their rstate field are processed. When boot is requested to change run levels, all processes that do not have an entry in the rstate field for the target run level are sent the warning signal and allowed a 20-second grace period before being forcibly terminated by a kill sig- nal You can specify multiple run levels for a process by entering more than one run level value in any combination. If no run level is specified, the process is assumed to be valid for all run levels, through Three other values, and can also appear in the rstate field, even though they are not true run levels. Entries having these characters in the rstate field are processed only when a user process requests them to be run (regardless of the current system run level). They differ from run levels in that boot can never enter "run level" or Also, a request for the execution of any of these processes does not change the current numeric run level. Furthermore, a process started by an or option is not killed when boot changes levels. A process is killed only if its line in is marked in the action field, its line is deleted entirely from or boot goes into the single-user state. action A keyword in this field tells boot how to treat the process specified in the process field. The following actions can be specified: Process the entry only at boot boot-time read of the file. Boot starts the process, does not wait for its termination, and when it dies, does not restart the process. In order for this instruction to be meaningful, the rstate should be the default or it must match boot run level at boot time. This action is useful for an initializa- tion function following a hardware boot of the system. Process the entry only at boot boot-time read of the file. Boot starts the process, waits for its termination, and, when it dies, does not restart the process. An entry with this action is only scanned when boot is initially invoked. Boot uses this entry, if it exists, to determine which run level to enter initially. It does this by taking the highest run level specified in the field and using that as its initial state. If the rstate field is empty, boot enters run level The entry cannot specify that boot start in the single-user state. Additionally, if boot does not find an entry in it requests an initial run level from the user at boot time. If the process associated with this entry is currently running, send the warning signal and wait 20 seconds before forcibly terminating the process via the kill signal If the process is nonexistent, ignore the entry. When boot enters a run level that matches the entry's rstate, start the process and do not wait for its termina- tion. When it dies, do not restart the process. If boot enters a new run level but the process is still running from a previous run level change, the process is not restarted. This instruction is really a synonym for the action. It is functionally identical to but is given a different keyword in order to divorce its asso- ciation with run levels. This is used only with the or values described in the rstate field. Execute the process associated with this entry only when boot receives a power-fail signal see signal(5)). Execute the process associated with this entry only when boot receives a power-fail signal and wait until it terminates before continuing any processing of If the process does not exist, start the process; do not wait for its termination (continue scanning the file). When it dies, restart the process. If the process currently exists, do nothing and continue scanning the file. Entries of this type are executed before boot tries to access the console. It is expected that this entry will be only used to initialize devices on which boot might attempt to obtain run level information. These entries are executed and waited for before continuing. When boot enters the run level that matches the entry's rstate, start the process and wait for its termination. Any subsequent reads of the file while boot is in the same run level cause boot to ignore this entry. process This is a command to be executed. The entire field is prefixed with and passed to a forked as "". For this reason, any syntax that can legally follow can appear in the process field. Comments can be inserted by using the syntax. WARNINGS
The use of a four-character id is strongly recommended. Many pty servers use the last two characters of the pty name as an id. If an id chosen by a pty server collides with one used in the file, the file can become corrupted. A corrupt file can cause commands such as to report inaccurate information. FILES
File of processes dispatched by boot SEE ALSO
sh(1), getty(1M), exec(2), open(2), signal(5). inittab(4)