Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Setuid usage
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Setuid usage Post 303026489 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 28th of November 2018 04:08:50 PM
Old 11-28-2018
Yes, Linux ignores the suid bit on scripts. You need a binary that has setuid(0); because the suid bit sets the euid only.

(In contrast, setuid scripts do work on most if not all Unix versions.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setuid

I have a C wrapper programme which basically execute a shell script. The shell script has 700 as permission and oracle is owner of the shell script. The C execuatble has 4711 permission so that means that it has setuid bit set and group and others can execute the C executable. The reason why I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using setuid and setgid

Hi, I have been looking at setuid and setgid. I understand that setuid determines who owns the file and setgid determines which group of people can access the file... yeah?! But i need to know how to actually use setuid and setgid. I'm guessing chmod will feature somewhere.. Any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crispy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cc, setuid, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Hi, This question deals with Solaris 2.8 and setuid programs. From research I've done so far, setuid programs ignore LD_LIBRARY_PATH; I've proven this and am OK with it. The thing I am not certain of how the C compiler is supposed to behave when it is invoked via a setuid program. Basically,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WolfBoy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setuid

could u plz give me clear idea of spcial permissions setuid,getuid and striky bit . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prem
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. Solaris

setuid and guid

Hi All, Can someone give me some info about setuid or guid topic? Also about sticky bit. Thanks in advance, itik (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
9 Replies

7. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Need help with setuid.

Hi Gurus, I need your suggestions,to implement setuid. Here is the situation. I have a user xyz on a solaris zone.He needs to install a package using a pkgadd command but i guess only a root can run that .Is there any way I can set the setuid bit on the pkgadd which is in the location... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restricting Usage of Setuid Programs to the Admin User In MacOsx

This is a quote from the Apple security configuration (you can download it from Apple) " Using ACLs to Restrict Usage of Setuid Programs The ACL feature of Mac OS X can also be used to restrict the execution of setuid programs. Restricting the execution of setuid programs to administrators... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vera
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What keeps me from abusing setuid(0) and programs with setuid bit set?

Just learning about the privilege escalation method provided by setuid. Correct me if I am wrong but what it does is change the uid of the current process to whatever uid I set. Right ? So what stops me from writing my own C program and calling setuid(0) within it and gaining root privileges ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies
FS_SETCELL(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_SETCELL(1)

NAME
fs_setcell - Configures permissions for setuid programs from specified cells SYNOPSIS
fs setcell -cell <cell name>+ [-suid] [-nosuid] [-help] fs setce -c <cell name>+ [-s] [-n] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs setcell command sets whether the Cache Manager allows programs (and other executable files) from each cell named by the -cell argument to run with setuid permission. By default, the Cache Manager allows programs from its home cell to run with setuid permission, but not programs from any foreign cells. A program belongs to the same cell as the file server machine that houses the volume in which the program's binary file resides, as specified in the file server machine's /etc/openafs/server/ThisCell file. The Cache Manager determines its own home cell by reading the /etc/openafs/ThisCell file at initialization. To enable programs from each specified cell to run with setuid permission, include the -suid flag. To prohibit programs from running with setuid permission, include the -nosuid flag, or omit both flags. The fs setcell command directly alters a cell's setuid status as recorded in kernel memory, so rebooting the machine is unnecessary. However, non-default settings do not persist across reboots of the machine unless the appropriate fs setcell command appears in the machine's AFS initialization file. To display a cell's setuid status, issue the fs getcellstatus command. CAUTIONS
AFS does not recognize effective UID: if a setuid program accesses AFS files and directories, it does so using the current AFS identity of the AFS user who initialized the program, not of the program's owner. Only the local file system recognizes effective UID. Only members of the system:administrators group can turn on the setuid mode bit on an AFS file or directory. When the setuid mode bit is turned on, the UNIX "ls -l" command displays the third user mode bit as an "s" instead of an "x". However, the "s" does not appear on an AFS file or directory unless setuid permission is enabled for the cell in which the file resides. OPTIONS
-cell <cell name>+ Names each cell for which to set setuid status. Provide the fully qualified domain name, or a shortened form that disambiguates it from the other cells listed in the local /etc/openafs/CellServDB file. -suid Allows programs from each specified cell to run with setuid privilege. Provide it or the -nosuid flag, or omit both flags to disallow programs from running with setuid privilege. -nosuid Prevents programs from each specified cell from running with setuid privilege. Provide it or the -suid flag, or omit both flags to disallow programs form running with setuid privilege. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command enables executable files from the State University cell to run with setuid privilege on the local machine: % fs setcell -cell stateu.edu -suid PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be logged in as the local superuser root. SEE ALSO
fs_getcellstatus(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_SETCELL(1)