Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ssh on ping result?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ssh on ping result? Post 303026481 by MuntyScrunt on Wednesday 28th of November 2018 02:13:21 PM
Old 11-28-2018
Thanks folks. Some of this made it into the script and it works perfectly.

There is one outstanding issue which I can't find a way around. I thought it would be great if the ssh session could open with sudo su, it's not a work network, and also changing directory to where I do most of my work.

After blooming hours of trying all sorts of different things I got the sudo working, but concatenating another command gets ignored.

Obviously I'm opening another shell and any commands still in the original script aren't going to get to the new shell, what I don't understand is I can send a command with ssh, but I can't send two, I just can't see any bash reason why it wouldn't work.

Code:
sh="ssh -t"
command="user@192.168.xxx.xxx"
sud="sudo su"
run="$sh $command $sud"
exec $run

This works great, but it would be even better if after the sudo I could be dumped into a directory that I use a lot. But;
sud="sudo su; cd /usr/folder/folder"
Doesn't work. The sudo runs ok but the cd is ignored.

I'm trying to understand why. As I said I know I'm opening another shell and the script can't communicate with it directly, but if sudo su works why does the cd go missing?

Thanks again everyone, nothing here is work related or that important, but I'm enjoying the learning bit!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Can't SSH / ping Linux box !!!

I have a linux box build11 which can be pinged from build18 (Windows) box. And we can only login to the box (using SSH) from build18 box. Plz help to characterize the problem, network, DNS, DHCP, etc (or whatever which I am unsure) Any idea what may be the reason ? :confused: Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem storing SSH result in a variable

i have this SSH command which runs perfectly on command prompt in sunOS ssh -o Port=${portno} ${uname}@${server} find ${dir_path} -name '***' output : /usr/local/home/*** My problem is when i run same command in my script #!/usr/bin/ksh res=`ssh -o Port=${portno} ${uname}@${server}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prash184u
1 Replies

3. Solaris

could not ssh and ping

hi , i cannot ssh to a server , i have restarted the ssh instances also. and i cannot ping to the server.. any ideas ..plz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
5 Replies

4. Solaris

could not ssh and ping

Hi, I have a solaris 8 machine. I see ssh is running in the machine sbnismwp2# ps -aef | grep ssh root 947 945 0 04:34:45 ? 0:00 /export/opt/SSHtecagt/sbin/ssh-mgmt-sysmonitor root 945 1 0 04:34:45 ? 0:00 /export/opt/SSHtecagt/sbin/ssh-mgmt-agent... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

prevent ssh from executing result in shell

Hi, I am writing a script on Solaris 10 and want to execute a remote ssh command. Normally this command should just return the value 0000000000002356 but when using ssh it seems it is passing the result to the shell to execute. ssh root@10.5.112.145 `/usr/bin/nawk -F\, '$1=="USG" && $2=="01"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Ping = no, SSH = eventually. Next step?

I have a Solaris 9 server that does not return a ping. When I try to log in via SSH I eventually get in. I am logged in now. I know this is a wide open question, but can you recommend some things I should check? . Thanks in advance, ~R (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abstractrick
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : code on ping showing difference result

Hi all, I am using the below code to ping a code and print whehter the connection is successful or not. use Net::Ping; $p = Net::Ping->new(); my $host = "x.x.x.x"; # print "$host is alive.\n" if $p->ping($host); if ($p->ping($host,3)) { print... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping result talking too long

Hello all, I am writing a script that pings various machines to check connectivity. If a machine is available, the prompt returns a result immediately: root@ops # ping 172.21.5.5 172.21.5.5 is alive BUT if a machine is Down , the reply takes a long time to come. The issue is I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies

9. AIX

Not able to ssh or ping a server

Hi, Earlier I was able to ssh /ping the server but now it just hangs Please suggest how to troubleshoot. Best regards, Vishal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cant ssh, but ping works

I cant ping to some of my machines, but ping works. I attach screenshots. Port is open and it is 22. I can't figure out why i cant access. https://www.unix.com/attachments/unix-for-advanced-and-expert-users/7492d1541541072-cant-ssh-but-ping-works-sshlisten-jpg... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
17 Replies
FENCE_AGENT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    FENCE_AGENT(8)

NAME
fence_virsh - Fence agent for virsh DESCRIPTION
fence_virsh is an I/O Fencing agent which can be used with the virtual machines managed by libvirt. It logs via ssh to a dom0 and there run virsh command, which does all work. By default, virsh needs root account to do properly work. So you must allow ssh login in your sshd_config. fence_virsh accepts options on the command line as well as from stdin. Fenced sends parameters through stdin when it execs the agent. fence_virsh can be run by itself with command line options. This is useful for testing and for turning outlets on or off from scripts. Vendor URL: http://libvirt.org PARAMETERS
-a, --ip=[ip] IP Address or Hostname This parameter is always required. -l, --username=[name] Login Name This parameter is always required. -p, --password=[password] Login password or passphrase -c, --command-prompt=[prompt] Force Python regex for command prompt (Default Value: ['[EXPECT]# ']) -x, --ssh SSH connection (Default Value: 1) -n, --plug=[id] Physical plug number, name of virtual machine or UUID This parameter is always required. -u, --ipport=[port] TCP/UDP port to use for connection with device (Default Value: 22) -4, --inet4-only Forces agent to use IPv4 addresses only -6, --inet6-only Forces agent to use IPv6 addresses only -S, --password-script=[script] Script to retrieve password -k, --identity-file=[filename] Identity file for ssh --ssh-options=[options] SSH options to use (Default Value: -t '/bin/bash -c "PS1=# /bin/bash --noprofile --norc"') -o, --action=[action] Fencing Action (Default Value: reboot) -v, --verbose Verbose mode -D, --debug-file=[debugfile] Write debug information to given file -V, --version Display version information and exit -h, --help Display help and exit -C, --separator=[char] Separator for CSV created by operation list (Default Value: ,) --power-timeout=[seconds] Test X seconds for status change after ON/OFF (Default Value: 20) --shell-timeout=[seconds] Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after issuing command (Default Value: 3) --login-timeout=[seconds] Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after login (Default Value: 5) --power-wait=[seconds] Wait X seconds after issuing ON/OFF (Default Value: 0) --delay=[seconds] Wait X seconds before fencing is started (Default Value: 0) --retry-on=[attempts] Count of attempts to retry power on (Default Value: 1) --use-sudo Use sudo (without password) when calling 3rd party sotfware. ACTIONS
on Power on machine. off Power off machine. reboot Reboot machine. status This returns the status of the plug/virtual machine. list List available plugs with aliases/virtual machines if there is support for more then one device. Returns N/A otherwise. monitor Check the health of fence device metadata Display the XML metadata describing this resource. STDIN PARAMETERS
ipaddr IP Address or Hostname This parameter is always required. login Login Name This parameter is always required. passwd Login password or passphrase cmd_prompt Force Python regex for command prompt (Default Value: ['[EXPECT]# ']) secure SSH connection (Default Value: 1) port Physical plug number, name of virtual machine or UUID This parameter is always required. ipport TCP/UDP port to use for connection with device (Default Value: 22) inet4_only Forces agent to use IPv4 addresses only inet6_only Forces agent to use IPv6 addresses only passwd_script Script to retrieve password identity_file Identity file for ssh ssh_options SSH options to use (Default Value: -t '/bin/bash -c "PS1=# /bin/bash --noprofile --norc"') action Fencing Action (Default Value: reboot) verbose Verbose mode debug Write debug information to given file version Display version information and exit help Display help and exit separator Separator for CSV created by operation list (Default Value: ,) power_timeout Test X seconds for status change after ON/OFF (Default Value: 20) shell_timeout Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after issuing command (Default Value: 3) login_timeout Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after login (Default Value: 5) power_wait Wait X seconds after issuing ON/OFF (Default Value: 0) delay Wait X seconds before fencing is started (Default Value: 0) retry_on Count of attempts to retry power on (Default Value: 1) sudo Use sudo (without password) when calling 3rd party sotfware. fence_virsh (Fence Agent) 2009-10-20 FENCE_AGENT(8)