Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ssh on ping result?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ssh on ping result? Post 303026415 by RudiC on Tuesday 27th of November 2018 11:02:36 AM
Old 11-27-2018
Or use the respective option to ssh:

Code:
ssh -oConnectTimeout=1 user@FreeBSD
ssh: connect to host freebsd port 22: Connection timed out

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Can't SSH / ping Linux box !!!

I have a linux box build11 which can be pinged from build18 (Windows) box. And we can only login to the box (using SSH) from build18 box. Plz help to characterize the problem, network, DNS, DHCP, etc (or whatever which I am unsure) Any idea what may be the reason ? :confused: Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem storing SSH result in a variable

i have this SSH command which runs perfectly on command prompt in sunOS ssh -o Port=${portno} ${uname}@${server} find ${dir_path} -name '***' output : /usr/local/home/*** My problem is when i run same command in my script #!/usr/bin/ksh res=`ssh -o Port=${portno} ${uname}@${server}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prash184u
1 Replies

3. Solaris

could not ssh and ping

hi , i cannot ssh to a server , i have restarted the ssh instances also. and i cannot ping to the server.. any ideas ..plz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
5 Replies

4. Solaris

could not ssh and ping

Hi, I have a solaris 8 machine. I see ssh is running in the machine sbnismwp2# ps -aef | grep ssh root 947 945 0 04:34:45 ? 0:00 /export/opt/SSHtecagt/sbin/ssh-mgmt-sysmonitor root 945 1 0 04:34:45 ? 0:00 /export/opt/SSHtecagt/sbin/ssh-mgmt-agent... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

prevent ssh from executing result in shell

Hi, I am writing a script on Solaris 10 and want to execute a remote ssh command. Normally this command should just return the value 0000000000002356 but when using ssh it seems it is passing the result to the shell to execute. ssh root@10.5.112.145 `/usr/bin/nawk -F\, '$1=="USG" && $2=="01"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Ping = no, SSH = eventually. Next step?

I have a Solaris 9 server that does not return a ping. When I try to log in via SSH I eventually get in. I am logged in now. I know this is a wide open question, but can you recommend some things I should check? . Thanks in advance, ~R (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abstractrick
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : code on ping showing difference result

Hi all, I am using the below code to ping a code and print whehter the connection is successful or not. use Net::Ping; $p = Net::Ping->new(); my $host = "x.x.x.x"; # print "$host is alive.\n" if $p->ping($host); if ($p->ping($host,3)) { print... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping result talking too long

Hello all, I am writing a script that pings various machines to check connectivity. If a machine is available, the prompt returns a result immediately: root@ops # ping 172.21.5.5 172.21.5.5 is alive BUT if a machine is Down , the reply takes a long time to come. The issue is I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies

9. AIX

Not able to ssh or ping a server

Hi, Earlier I was able to ssh /ping the server but now it just hangs Please suggest how to troubleshoot. Best regards, Vishal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cant ssh, but ping works

I cant ping to some of my machines, but ping works. I attach screenshots. Port is open and it is 22. I can't figure out why i cant access. https://www.unix.com/attachments/unix-for-advanced-and-expert-users/7492d1541541072-cant-ssh-but-ping-works-sshlisten-jpg... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
17 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)                                                BSD General Commands Manual                                               SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project