Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with file compare and move script Post 303026412 by mattz40 on Tuesday 27th of November 2018 10:30:45 AM
Old 11-27-2018
Help with file compare and move script

I'm running debian (the raspbian version of it) and working on a script to compare files in 2 directories, source and target, move files with duplicate names to a 3rd directory, then move remaining files in source to target. I can't get the syntax right, keep getting syntax errors and can't get past the file comparison stage to start figuring out the move portion. I thought I'd print the results to start, to see if it's working.

This isn't intended to be a command line script, it's intended to run automatically on boot so there shouldn't be any user intervention required. I found several scripts that require a user to input directories when they're run, then delete duplicates. I took what looked like the most easy to understand one and am trying to modify it. I was mistaken about the simplicity.

Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Compare file names in source and target directories
# Move duplicates from source to duplicates directory
# Move remaining files in source to target directory
# Only care about files names, not upper lower case, checksum, date, time

dir1="/mnt/nas/source"
dir2="/mnt/nas/target"
dir3="/mnt/nas/Duplicates"

for file in $dir1 ;
  do [ -f $dir2 ${file} ] && echo ${file} ;
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Compare & Move between 2 servers

Greetings - I am a newbie in shell scripts. I have been thru the whole forum but there has been no similar query posed. The objective of my system is to have a unified filebase system. I am using RSync to synchronise files between the location & central server with both of them having the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evolve
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare directories then move similar ones

I would like to know how to compare a listing of directories that begin with the same four numbers ie. /1234cat /1234tree /1234fish and move all these directories into one directory Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgibson2
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to move text in file?

ok i asked around to a few ppl and they said to use sed or awk to do what i want.. but i cant figure out how to use it like that.. anyway i have a text file that is 10k lines long.. i need to move text from the end of a line after the ? and move it to the front of the line then add a | after it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wckdkl0wn
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move the first line of a file to the end

I'm rather new to scripting, and despite my attempts at finding/writing a script to do what I need, I have not yet been successful. I have a file named "list.txt" of arbitrary length with contents in the following format: /home/user/Music/file1.mp3 /home/user/Music/file2.mp3... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: Altay_H
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to move two lines to the end of a file

My input file is multiline file and I am writing a script to search for a pattern and move the line with the pattern and the next line to the end of the file. Since I am trying to learn awk, I thought I would try it. My input looks like the following: D #testpoint 1 510.0 D #testpoint2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: banjo25
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that will move a file to a directory with the same name and then rename that file

Hello all. I am new to this forum (and somewhat new to UNIX / LINUX - I started using ubuntu 1 year ago).:b: I have the following problem that I have not been able to figure out how to take care of and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.:confused: I have all of my music stored in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcozd
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare substrings of multiple filenames and move to different directory

Hi there, I am having trouble with a script I have written, which is designed to search through a directory for a header and payload file, retrieve a string from both filenames, compare this string and if it matches make a backup of the two files then move them to a different directory for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alcurry
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to get the latest file from the file list and move

Hi, Anybody help me to write a Shell Script Get the latest file from the file list based on created and then move to the target directory. Tried with the following script: got error. A=$(ls -1dt $(find "cveit/local_ftp/reflash-parts" -type f -daystart -mtime -$dateoffset) | head... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravan_an
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move file in to directory- script

Hi In directory /mnt/upload I have about 100 000 files (*.png) that have been created during the last six months. Now I need to move them to right folders. eg: file created on 2014-10-10 move to directory /mnt/upload/20141010 file created on 2014-11-11 move to directory /mnt/upload/20141111... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
mhddfs(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mhddfs(1)

NAME
mhddfs - The driver combines a several mount points into the single one. SYNOPSIS
mhddfs /dir1,/dir2[,/path/to/dir3] /path/to/mount [-o options] mhddfs /dir1 dir2,dir3 /mount/point [-o options] ... fusermount -u /path/to/mount fstab record example: mhddfs#/path/to/dir1,/path/to/dir2 /mnt/point fuse defaults 0 0 mhddfs#/dir1,/dir2,/dir3 /mnt fuse logfile=/var/log/mhddfs.log 0 0 OPTIONS
with an -o option1,option2... you can specify some additional options: logfile=/path/to/file.log specify a file that will contain debug information. loglevel=x 0 - debug messages 1 - info messages 2 - standard (default) messages mlimit=size[m|k|g] a free space size threshold If a drive has the free space less than the threshold specifed then another drive will be choosen while creat- ing a new file. If all the drives have free space less than the threshold specified then a drive containing most free space will be choosen. Default value is 4G, minimum value is 100M. This option accepts suffixes: [mM] - megabytes [gG] - gigabytes [kK] - kilobytes For an information about the additional options see output of: mhddfs -h DESCRIPTION
The file system allows to unite a several mount points (or directories) to the single one. So a one big filesystem is simulated and this makes it possible to combine a several hard drives or network file systems. This system is like unionfs but it can choose a drive with the most of free space, and move the data between drives transparently for the applications. While writing files they are written to a 1st hdd until the hdd has the free space (see mlimit option), then they are written on a 2nd hdd, then to 3rd etc. df will show a total statistics of all filesystems like there is a big one hdd. If an overflow arises while writing to the hdd1 then a file content already written will be transferred to a hdd containing enough of free space for a file. The transferring is processed on-the-fly, fully transparent for the application that is writing. So this behaviour simu- lates a big file system. WARNINGS The filesystems are combined must provide a possibility to get their parameters correctly (e.g. size of free space). Otherwise the writing failure can occur (but data consistency will be ok anyway). For example it is a bad idea to combine a several sshfs systems together. Please read FUSE documentation for a further conception. COPYRIGHT
Distributed under GPLv3 Copyright (C) 2008 Dmitry E. Oboukhov <dimka@avanto.org> February 2008 mhddfs(1)