Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with file compare and move script Post 303026412 by mattz40 on Tuesday 27th of November 2018 10:30:45 AM
Old 11-27-2018
Help with file compare and move script

I'm running debian (the raspbian version of it) and working on a script to compare files in 2 directories, source and target, move files with duplicate names to a 3rd directory, then move remaining files in source to target. I can't get the syntax right, keep getting syntax errors and can't get past the file comparison stage to start figuring out the move portion. I thought I'd print the results to start, to see if it's working.

This isn't intended to be a command line script, it's intended to run automatically on boot so there shouldn't be any user intervention required. I found several scripts that require a user to input directories when they're run, then delete duplicates. I took what looked like the most easy to understand one and am trying to modify it. I was mistaken about the simplicity.

Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Compare file names in source and target directories
# Move duplicates from source to duplicates directory
# Move remaining files in source to target directory
# Only care about files names, not upper lower case, checksum, date, time

dir1="/mnt/nas/source"
dir2="/mnt/nas/target"
dir3="/mnt/nas/Duplicates"

for file in $dir1 ;
  do [ -f $dir2 ${file} ] && echo ${file} ;
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Compare & Move between 2 servers

Greetings - I am a newbie in shell scripts. I have been thru the whole forum but there has been no similar query posed. The objective of my system is to have a unified filebase system. I am using RSync to synchronise files between the location & central server with both of them having the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evolve
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare directories then move similar ones

I would like to know how to compare a listing of directories that begin with the same four numbers ie. /1234cat /1234tree /1234fish and move all these directories into one directory Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgibson2
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to move text in file?

ok i asked around to a few ppl and they said to use sed or awk to do what i want.. but i cant figure out how to use it like that.. anyway i have a text file that is 10k lines long.. i need to move text from the end of a line after the ? and move it to the front of the line then add a | after it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wckdkl0wn
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move the first line of a file to the end

I'm rather new to scripting, and despite my attempts at finding/writing a script to do what I need, I have not yet been successful. I have a file named "list.txt" of arbitrary length with contents in the following format: /home/user/Music/file1.mp3 /home/user/Music/file2.mp3... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: Altay_H
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to move two lines to the end of a file

My input file is multiline file and I am writing a script to search for a pattern and move the line with the pattern and the next line to the end of the file. Since I am trying to learn awk, I thought I would try it. My input looks like the following: D #testpoint 1 510.0 D #testpoint2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: banjo25
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that will move a file to a directory with the same name and then rename that file

Hello all. I am new to this forum (and somewhat new to UNIX / LINUX - I started using ubuntu 1 year ago).:b: I have the following problem that I have not been able to figure out how to take care of and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.:confused: I have all of my music stored in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcozd
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare substrings of multiple filenames and move to different directory

Hi there, I am having trouble with a script I have written, which is designed to search through a directory for a header and payload file, retrieve a string from both filenames, compare this string and if it matches make a backup of the two files then move them to a different directory for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alcurry
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to get the latest file from the file list and move

Hi, Anybody help me to write a Shell Script Get the latest file from the file list based on created and then move to the target directory. Tried with the following script: got error. A=$(ls -1dt $(find "cveit/local_ftp/reflash-parts" -type f -daystart -mtime -$dateoffset) | head... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravan_an
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move file in to directory- script

Hi In directory /mnt/upload I have about 100 000 files (*.png) that have been created during the last six months. Now I need to move them to right folders. eg: file created on 2014-10-10 move to directory /mnt/upload/20141010 file created on 2014-11-11 move to directory /mnt/upload/20141111... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: primo102
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
DirCompare(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   DirCompare(3pm)

NAME
File::DirCompare - Perl module to compare two directories using callbacks. SYNOPSIS
use File::DirCompare; # Simple diff -r --brief replacement use File::Basename; File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, sub { my ($a, $b) = @_; if (! $b) { printf "Only in %s: %s ", dirname($a), basename($a); } elsif (! $a) { printf "Only in %s: %s ", dirname($b), basename($b); } else { print "Files $a and $b differ "; } }); # Version-control like Deleted/Added/Modified listing my (@listing, @modified); # use closure to collect results File::DirCompare->compare('old_tree', 'new_tree', sub { my ($a, $b) = @_; if (! $b) { push @listing, "D $a"; } elsif (! $a) { push @listing, "A $b"; } else { if (-f $a && -f $b) { push @listing, "M $b"; push @modified, $b; } else { # One file, one directory - treat as delete + add push @listing, "D $a"; push @listing, "A $b"; } } }); DESCRIPTION
File::DirCompare is a perl module to compare two directories using a callback, invoked for all files that are 'different' between the two directories, and for any files that exist only in one or other directory ('unique' files). File::DirCompare has a single public compare() method, with the following signature: File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, $opts); The first three arguments are required - $dir1 and $dir2 are paths to the two directories to be compared, and $sub is the subroutine reference called for all unique or different files. $opts is an optional hashref of options - see OPTIONS below. The provided subroutine is called for all unique files, and for every pair of 'different' files encountered, with the following signature: $sub->($file1, $file2) where $file1 and $file2 are the paths to the two files. For 'unique' files i.e. where a file exists in only one directory, the subroutine is called with the other argument 'undef' i.e. for: $sub->($file1, undef) $sub->(undef, $file2) the first indicates $file1 exists only in the first directory given ($dir1), and the second indicates $file2 exists only in the second directory given ($dir2). OPTIONS The following optional arguments are supported, passed in using a hash reference after the three required arguments to compare() e.g. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { cmp => $cmp_sub, ignore_unique => 1, }); cmp By default, two files are regarded as different if their contents do not match (tested with File::Compare::compare). That default behaviour can be overridden by providing a 'cmp' subroutine to do the file comparison, returning zero if the two files are equal, and non-zero if not. E.g. to compare using modification times instead of file contents: File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { cmp => sub { -M $_[0] <=> -M $_[1] }, }); ignore_cmp If you want to see all corresponding files, not just 'different' ones, set the 'ignore_cmp' flag to tell File::DirCompare to skip its file comparison checks i.e. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { ignore_cmp => 1 }); ignore_unique If you want to ignore files that only exist in one of the two directories, set the 'ignore_unique' flag i.e. File::DirCompare->compare($dir1, $dir2, $sub, { ignore_unique => 1 }); SEE ALSO
File::Dircmp, which provides similar functionality (and whose directory walking code I've adapted for this module), but a simpler reporting-only interface, something like the first example in the SYNOPSIS above. AUTHOR AND CREDITS
Gavin Carr <gavin@openfusion.com.au> Thanks to Robin Barker for a bug report and fix for glob problems with whitespace. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2006-2007 by Gavin Carr. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-03-02 DirCompare(3pm)