Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to handle variable with special character? Post 303026285 by Corona688 on Friday 23rd of November 2018 10:42:34 AM
Old 11-23-2018
I think I finally get it -- that grep is supposed to find the line in the file you want. What for, I'm not certain, as you don't use the file for anything, yet. So I'm also wild-guessing that the 'dir' part of the file ends up being part of the destination file name.

Please try this code and see if it does anything like what you want. It won't actually move any files, just print 'mv inputfile outputfile'.
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

# We use a function, so overwriting $1 $2 ... won't affect anything outside
function checkfile {
        dir="$1"
        set -- "${2}"* # Match one or more files, placing in local $1 $2 ...
        if [ ! -f "${1}" ]
        then
                echo "${1} not found" >&2
                return 1
        fi

echo mv "${1}" "${1}_${dir}"
}

while IFS=", " read dir filename # Split input upon spaces and commas
do
        # Skip lines where filename doesn't match the argument given.
        [ "$1" = "$filename" ] || continue
        # call checkfile.  Inside checkfile, $1=$dir and $2=$filename
        checkfile "$dir" "$filename"
done<masterfile

Last edited by Corona688; 11-23-2018 at 11:49 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

special character ?

hey there im a bit stuck on executing commands that include the special character '?'. can someone recommend a way on how i would be able to execute it?? i thought the glob function could be useful (still mite be) but upon entering the command 'ls pars?' it listed all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mile1982
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How ro handle backslash character in grep?

Hi , I am doing invert grep using -v but the string contain "/" which break the grep command and it do not skip the lines with "/" on it. Diffu.txt ======== 1159c1159 < <td align="right" valign="middle" class="paddingRight2px" id="featureListItemChannelButton7466"> --- > <td... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajbal
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

special character

Hi, I am trying to unload file from a database. Which contains few lines with the character below. Rest of the data was unloaded appropriately. a) What does this below character means? b) How can i remove it, I already have sed '/^$/d' c) Will this effect the file by any means... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special character \

Hi, In the shell script, i need to remove the special charater "\" with "\\". For example, i need to replace "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" with "D:\\FXT\\ABC.TXT". However, when trying to do something like , i get the below error :- -->echo "D:\FXT\ABC.TXT" | sed -e 's#\#\\#g' sed: 0602-404 Function... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_arora
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleteing one character after an special character

I have below line in a unix file, I want to delete one character after "Â". 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap Â~V Hybrids The result should be : 20091020.Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap  Hybrids i dont want to use "~V" anywhere in the sed command or any other command, just remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle variable with spaces in ksh

I'm having issue capturing a value from file.list with a multiple spaces in a variable $i, tried various options like using double quotes, no quotes, single quotes, curly braces but to no avail. cat file.list aaa test bbb ccc test ddd eee test fff for i in `cat file.list` do echo "$i";... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substitute variable in sed for special character?

Hi , I have input file like below Hi this is "vinoth". Hi happy to work with 'unix' USA(united states of America) My script variables are below : Dquote=Ộ Squote=&#$567 Obrac=&^986 Cbrac=&^745 I want to read the variables in my SED command to replace the double quote,single... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothsekark
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi special character

When editing a file, vi displays a special character as ^L. Can you tell me the escaped character to be used in awk? And can that escaped character be used in a regexp in both sed and awk? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmesserly
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handle special characters in awk -F

Hello Folks, Need to bisect strings based on a subset. Below works good. echo /a/b/c/d | awk -F"/c/d$" '{print $1}' /a/b However, it goes awry with special characters. echo /a/b/c+/d | awk -F"/c+/d$" '{print $1}' /a/b/c+/d Desired output: /a/b Escaping the special characters... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Special character $$

Hi, on ksh What does the following do? grep -v "toolbox" $home_oracle/.profile >$home_oracle/.profile.$$ Thanks. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies
DLSYM(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  DLSYM(3)

NAME
dlsym -- get address of a symbol SYNOPSIS
#include <dlfcn.h> void* dlsym(void* handle, const char* symbol); DESCRIPTION
dlsym() returns the address of the code or data location specified by the null-terminated character string symbol. Which libraries and bun- dles are searched depends on the handle parameter. If dlsym() is called with a handle, returned by dlopen() then only that image and any libraries it depends on are searched for symbol. If dlsym() is called with the special handle RTLD_DEFAULT, then all mach-o images in the process (except those loaded with dlopen(xxx, RTLD_LOCAL)) are searched in the order they were loaded. This can be a costly search and should be avoided. If dlsym() is called with the special handle RTLD_NEXT, then dyld searches for the symbol in the dylibs the calling image linked against when built. It is usually used when you intentionally have multiply defined symbol across images and want to find the "next" definition. It searches other images for the definition that the caller would be using if it did not have a definition. The exact search algorithm depends on whether the caller's image was linked -flat_namespace or -twolevel_namespace. For flat linked images, the search starts in the load ordered list of all images, in the image right after the caller's image. For two-level images, the search simulates how the static linker would have searched for the symbol when linking the caller's image. If dlsym() is called with the special handle RTLD_SELF, then the search for the symbol starts with the image that called dlsym(). If it is not found, the search continues as if RTLD_NEXT was used. If dlsym() is called with the special handle RTLD_MAIN_ONLY, then it only searches for symbol in the main executable. RETURN VALUES
The dlsym() function returns a null pointer if the symbol cannot be found, and sets an error condition which may be queried with dlerror(). NOTES
The symbol name passed to dlsym() is the name used in C source code. For example to find the address of function foo(), you would pass "foo" as the symbol name. This is unlike the older dyld APIs which required a leading underscore. If you looking up a C++ symbol, you need to use the mangled C++ symbol name. SEE ALSO
dlopen(3) dlerror(3) dyld(3) ld(1) cc(1) August 28, 2008