Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Troubleshooting init.d script Post 303026234 by rlopes on Thursday 22nd of November 2018 05:44:31 AM
Old 11-22-2018
Troubleshooting init.d script

This is what I did:

1. I wrote a simple init.d script (myscript.sh)

2. I placed it under /etc/init.d (where many other default scripts already are)
3. Set the perms to 755
4. Run: update-rc.d myscript.sh defaults

I can run it perfectly by doing:

/etc/init.d/myscript.sh start

But it doesn't run at startup. What am I missing?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Troubleshooting Script

I am fairly new to Unix (Sun OS) scripting with Ksh, and I could use a little help troubleshooting my script. When I run it, I get the error "if unexpected" on the function setYear. If I comment out the setYear function, I get the error "for unexpected" on the function sendEmails. This leads me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Init 6 & Init 0 problem

Hi Expert, I have encountered some problem with my SUN system. Everytime when i issue command #init 6 OR #init 0 it just logout and prompt for login again instead of rebooting the server when run init 6 and system shutdown when run init 0.. I can only reboot the system using reboot ... Was... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc2005
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a function in Shell script troubleshooting

Some Code After Some code part is executed the control doesnt go to rvin_doxx_scrt.. and the script exits rvin_doxx_scrt() { Some Code } if (som code) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
4 Replies

4. Linux

How to I change init levels after typing init 1

Dear all, I typed in init 1 on my redhat box as root and according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel): 1 Single-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces, start daemons, or allow non-root logins So now I can't connect back to it. How do I change the init back to 3?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem on init 0, execution is the same with init 6

Hi, I am experiencing a weird thing on my SUNFIRE machine with Solaris 9 OS. When I do init 0 to shutdown the machine to go to ok prompt, what it did was shutdown and reboot like an init 6 command do. I did check the corresponding rc scripts that were involved with init 0 and compared with rc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yenthanh
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

init-script failing because of /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

I encountered a problem on one of our database servers. OS: CentOS 5.5 final Kernel: 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5.028stab085.2 (OpenVZ kernel) We wrote some DB-Start/Stop-scripts ("/db2/admin/scripts_dba/start_services.ksh" and ".../stop_services.ksh") to start the database instances. (Database... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable to get $PWD value from script in /etc/init.d

Hi ppl hope to have your advice, i am run out of idea... I have 3 scripts: a.sh, b.sh, and c.sh a.sh resided in /etc/init.d b.sh and c.sh /opt/xSystem I intend to start my system with "service" command which will trigger my a.sh service a.sh start then. a.sh will trigger... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Init.d script stdout location

I'm looking into a Solaris(S10) startup problem, with a script configured to run in /etc/rc3.d. It's written to output trace information to a logfile using tee, but the file itself is clearly not being updated. Is there a default stdout/stderr location for startup scripts where the other branch of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

INIT Script Getting Executed Twice?

Hello All, I copied and pasted the "/etc/init.d/skeleton" file to a new one so I could create my own init script for a program. Basically the ONLY edit I made to the skeleton "template" so far was to search and replace "FOO" with "snort". *NOTE: I know there are a bunch of snort init scripts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start up init d script

Hi All, I'm trying to build a start up script, wud be gr8 if any one can explain what the below field means and how can i check it for my script. DAEMON_PATH="/home/wes/Development/projects/myapp" DAEMON=myapp DAEMONOPTS="-my opts" NAME=myapp DESC="My daemon description"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karthick N
4 Replies
SERVICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)