Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort and summarise between patterns Post 303026226 by mac-arrow on Thursday 22nd of November 2018 04:03:39 AM
Old 11-22-2018
Thank you @disedorgue for your help! This sentence is kind of mixing up some lines with different databases but don't worry.
I think your first answer will also help me for the task I needed to do Smilie

------ Post updated at 09:03 AM ------

Hi @Rudic

I tried yours but its giving me some errors

Code:
awk: /-- /   {if (cmd) close (cmd) print cmd = "sort | uniq -c | sort -k1,1r -k2" next} {print | cmd} END {close (cmd)}
awk:                               ^ syntax error
awk: /-- /   {if (cmd) close (cmd) print cmd = "sort | uniq -c | sort -k1,1r -k2" next} {print | cmd} END {close (cmd)}
awk:                                                                              ^ syntax error

regards
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags when displaying input and output as well as code segments.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 11-22-2018 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: Add missing CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to sort the files and append the extension .sort to the sorted version of the file

Hello all - I am to this forum and fairly new in learning unix and finding some difficulty in preparing a small shell script. I am trying to make script to sort all the files given by user as input (either the exact full name of the file or say the files matching the criteria like all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a short way to summarise many sed commands

Hello, I have a large number of sed commands that I execute one after the other, simply because I don't know if there's a shorter way to do it. I hope someone can help me save some time :-) These are my commands: 1.) remove all " in the file: sed -e 's/\"//g' file 2.) insert ( and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternate to sort --random-sort

sort --random-sort The full command is path=`find /testdir -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d | ***Some sort of sort function*** | head -1` I have a list I want to randomly sort. It works fine in ubuntu but on a 'osx lion' sort dosen't have the --random-sort option. I don't want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort word and general numeric sort at the same time

Input file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA A2M%H02579 0E0 UK 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Output file: 100%ABC2 3.44E-12 USA 100%ABC2 3.25E-12 USA 100%ABC2 5.34E-8 UK A2M%H02579 0E0 UK A2M%H02579 5E-45 UK Code try: sort -k1,1 -g -k2 -r input.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort help: How to sort collected 'file list' by date stamp :

Hi Experts, I have a filelist collected from another server , now want to sort the output using date/time stamp filed. - Filed 6, 7,8 are showing the date/time/stamp. Here is the input: #---------------------------------------------------------------------- -rw------- 1 root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matched patterns and print them with other patterns not the whole line

Hi, I am trying to extract some patterns from a line. The input file is space delimited and i could not use column to get value after "IN" or "OUT" patterns as there could be multiple white spaces before the next digits that i need to print in the output file . I need to print 3 patterns in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Find files excluding file patterns and subfolder patterns

Hello. For a given folder, I want to select any files find $PATH1 -f \( -name "*" but omit any files like pattern name ! -iname "*.jpg" ! -iname "*.xsession*" ..... \) and also omit any subfolder like pattern name -type d \( -name "/etc/gconf/gconf.*" -o -name "*cache*" -o -name "*Cache*" -o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sort to sort numerical column

How to sort the following output based on lowest to highest BE? The following sort does not work. $ sort -t. -k1,1n -k2,2n bfd.txt BE31.116 0s 0s DOWN DAMP BE31.116 0s 0s DOWN DAMP BE31.117 0s 0s ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
7 Replies
switch(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 switch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
switch - Evaluate one of several scripts, depending on a given value SYNOPSIS
switch ?options? string pattern body ?pattern body ...? switch ?options? string {pattern body ?pattern body ...?} _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The switch command matches its string argument against each of the pattern arguments in order. As soon as it finds a pattern that matches string it evaluates the following body argument by passing it recursively to the Tcl interpreter and returns the result of that evaluation. If the last pattern argument is default then it matches anything. If no pattern argument matches string and no default is given, then the switch command returns an empty string. If the initial arguments to switch start with - then they are treated as options. The following options are currently supported: -exact Use exact matching when comparing string to a pattern. This is the default. -glob When matching string to the patterns, use glob-style matching (i.e. the same as implemented by the string match command). -regexp When matching string to the patterns, use regular expression matching (as described in the re_syntax reference page). -- Marks the end of options. The argument following this one will be treated as string even if it starts with a -. Two syntaxes are provided for the pattern and body arguments. The first uses a separate argument for each of the patterns and commands; this form is convenient if substitutions are desired on some of the patterns or commands. The second form places all of the patterns and commands together into a single argument; the argument must have proper list structure, with the elements of the list being the patterns and commands. The second form makes it easy to construct multi-line switch commands, since the braces around the whole list make it unnec- essary to include a backslash at the end of each line. Since the pattern arguments are in braces in the second form, no command or vari- able substitutions are performed on them; this makes the behavior of the second form different than the first form in some cases. If a body is specified as ``-'' it means that the body for the next pattern should also be used as the body for this pattern (if the next pattern also has a body of ``-'' then the body after that is used, and so on). This feature makes it possible to share a single body among several patterns. Beware of how you place comments in switch commands. Comments should only be placed inside the execution body of one of the patterns, and not intermingled with the patterns. Below are some examples of switch commands: switch abc a - b {format 1} abc {format 2} default {format 3} will return 2, switch -regexp aaab { ^a.*b$ - b {format 1} a* {format 2} default {format 3} } will return 1, and switch xyz { a - b { # Correct Comment Placement format 1 } a* {format 2} default {format 3} } will return 3. SEE ALSO
for(n), if(n), regexp(n) KEYWORDS
switch, match, regular expression Tcl 7.0 switch(n)