Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help getting a web page to start a server. Post 303025971 by Neo on Thursday 15th of November 2018 11:29:51 PM
Old 11-16-2018
The first thing you should do is to insure you have SSH set up for your entire web server and no non HTTPS traffic is permitted.

The second thing you must do it to set up basic apache2 security to require an htpasswd user id and login for basic authentication access to your web server.

The third thing you must do it so set up iptables so only the handful of IP addresses you control are permitted to even connect to the web server.

These are the bare minimum requirements.

Then, on the PHP side, you do not need to use sudo if you set it up correctly. No good web server admin sets up their web server with the user id of the web server (in your case www-data) in the sudoers file. There are better and more secure ways to do it.... but as you said, you don't care about security, so why should we waste our time.

There is no excuse for setting up apache2 and PHP on a LAMP server in an insecure way; when it can easily be done securely and correctly.

One last point, I'm not angry in the least. I don't have emotions when others do things wrong or in a very insecure way on their servers. In fact, after decades on the net, I don't get angry, upset, or have any emotion about anything in these or other forums or sites; but we admins and moderators will enforce rule violations, and so far you have not broken any rules, LOL . Thank you for always following the forum rules. Much appreciated.

In general, I am concerned about cybersecurity, professionally speaking.

Cheers and good luck!

PS: If you truly have a web server where you do not care in the least about security, then just set up apache2 to run with the userid of root and not www-data and be done with it. LOL.... then you can do whatever you want, insecurely as you like Smilie Easy.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing Web Page

Hello, I am new to unix, but wanted to know how can we fetch data from a web page (i.e. an HTML Page), my requirement is to read an html page and wanted to create a flat file (text file) based on the contents available in the mentioned HTML page. Thanks Imtiaz (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imtiaz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the web page on server

Wish you all a very happy new year. I have a web url "http://marabou.mis.amat.com/cgi-bin/iman?IMAN_server_report=full" where marabou.mis.amat.com is my server name. the page content is below. ********************************************************* TcEng Web server report Thu Jan 4... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 9 Web Start Upgrade using -nowin - still complains about X server

Hi there. I'm trying to upgrade a Sun Blade 100 to Solaris 9. I downloaded and burned the install, disc 1, disc 2 and tools CDs from Sun. I turned off auto-boot, put in the CD and enter the following: # boot cdrom -nowin The cdrom boot starts, and I get prompted to choose a language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: calenti
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening web page in remote server

Hi all, I am new to UNIX and so am struggling a bit on using the right commands. I am working on a remote UNIX server and i need to load a web page using firefox. I can use the client IP address to access the web page but i am not able to do so because the command i am typing is wrong. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greg15
1 Replies

5. Web Development

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
2 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both, when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
1 Replies

7. Web Development

Call shell script from HTML page - without web server

Hi, I have html page in my unix machine(server), which I will open with firefox or mozilla available in unix machine. Firefox or mozilla will be opened using x windows. Since I have access to unix machien(like other users) and this HTML page is for user having access to Unix machine, I see no... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamanu9
7 Replies

8. Web Development

Unable to start the apache web server

Hi All, I'm getting this below error bash-4.1$ ./apachectl -k start (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address hostname:18000 no listening sockets available, shutting down Unable to open logs I tried to change the port number, still same error: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
5 Replies
FSG(1)									FSG								    FSG(1)

NAME
FSG - manual page for FSG lsb_release v2.0 SYNOPSIS
lsb_release [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
FSG lsb_release v2.0 prints certain LSB (Linux Standard Base) and Distribution information. With no OPTION specified defaults to -v. OPTIONS
-v, --version Display the version of the LSB specification against which the distribution is compliant. -i, --id Display the string id of the distributor. -d, --description Display the single line text description of the distribution. -r, --release Display the release number of the distribution. -c, --codename Display the codename according to the distribution release. -a, --all Display all of the above information. -s, --short Use short output format for information requested by other options (or version if none). -h, --help Display this message. FILES
If the installation is LSB compliant, the "/etc/lsb-release" file should contain the LSB_VERSION field. The value of the field should be a colon separated list of supported module versions indicating the LSB specification modules to which the installation is compliant. If the installation is not compliant, the above field should not be present. Optional fields are DISTRIB_ID, DISTRIB_RELEASE, DISTRIB_CODENAME, DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION and can be used to override information which is parsed from the "/etc/distrib-release" file. If the "/etc/lsb-release.d" directory exists, it is searched for filenames which are taken as additional module-version strings to add to LSB_VERSION. The "/etc/distrib-release" file contains a description line which is parsed to get information (especially on currently non-LSB compliant systems). The required line style is: "Distributor release x.x (Codename)" Where Distributor can be a couple of words, but then concatenated (i.e. Linux Foo BarLinux Linux -> FooBarLinux), x.x starts with a digit followed by any non-blank characters, Codename will also be concatenated (blanks cleanup only). release may not be used as a keyword in DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION if you don't want to override "/etc/distrib-release" data. Notice: To support the Debian distributions' lack of information (see "/etc/debian_version" file) some have been directly added into the lsb_release script. EXAMPLES
If the "/etc/lsb-release" file contains: LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-ia64:core-2.0-noarch" DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="I enjoy using my distrib" and the "/etc/lsb-release.d" directory contains: graphics-2.0-ia64 graphics-2.0-noarch and the "/etc/foobar-release" file contains: My Linux Distrib release 1.0RC4 (TryIt) Then the results of various options will be: $ ./lsb_release --all LSB Version: core-2.0-ia64:core-2.0-noarch:graphics-2.0-ia64:graphics-2.0-noarch Distributor ID: MyDistrib Description: I enjoy using my distrib Release: 1.0RC4 Codename: TryIt $ ./lsb_release -a -s 1.0 MyDistrib "I enjoy using my distrib" 1.0RC4 TryIt If the "/etc/lsb-release" file is absent (indicating this is not an LSB compliant distribution), the result will be: $ ./lsb_release -a LSB Version: n/a Distributor ID: MyDistrib Description: My Linux Distrib release 1.0RC4 (TryIt) Release: 1.0RC4 Codename: TryIt REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at http://bugs.linuxbase.org. Please include a complete, self contained example that will allow the bug to be reproduced, and say which version of lsb_release you are using. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000, 2002, 2004 Free Standards Group, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Originally written by Dominique MASSONIE. FSG lsb_release v2.0 June 2014 FSG(1)