Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers SCO OpenServer 5 Will Not Boot Post 303025968 by spock9458 on Thursday 15th of November 2018 08:12:55 PM
Old 11-15-2018
I was able to run the fsck on the root file system, and there is apparently some damage. Here are the errors that I'm getting:

At beginning: Cannot Read: BLK 269191880

Then: FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 269191880, 269191881
Cannot Read block bitmap (logical block 134595940)

At Phase 4: FREE INODE COUNT WRONG IN SUPERBLK

At Phase 6: FREE BLK COUNT WRONG IN SUPERBLK

Since I used the -n switch no repairs were attempted. Since the system will not boot up regularly, am I to assume the bad sectors are affecting my kernel or something that is needed to boot up? If I try to run fsck with -y switch, or try to run interactively to fix errors, will I trash the system and need to reinstall and restore data from backup?

I have done the restore before so I know how, but I also know it is risky due to the age of my backup tape and drive. If it is the only way I will have to try, but is there a chance that repairing the disk using fsck will fix everything? Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help For SCO OpenServer

I've just installed Unix SCO OpenServer System v in an Intel PC and Everithing ok, except just one thing, in the begining of the installation the wizard asked me about the mouse , i have a generic 3 buttons mouse and i took a logitech and did not work i need to change the mouse configuration, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyvaldes
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sco openserver 5.5

hello! when i try to make my system dual boot with both win98 & sco open server 5.5 it doesn't work at all.neither win98 take start nor sco open server boots.what should i do ? kindly help me thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buntty
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCO 5.0.2 openserver

I am doing some work for a customer that is running SCO 5.0.2 openserver and they have lost their cd. Is there anyplace I can download it? I have a replacement being shipped but it will not be here for two days and they are down. Any ideals? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SCOoT
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot failure SCO 5.0.6 OpenServer

hello guys. I just installed SCO 5.0.6 OpenServer it went all the way to the end of the installation and the first boot try it gave me this message. not a directory boot not found cannot open stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
2 Replies

5. SCO

Ethereal for SCO OpenServer 5.0.7???

Which version of Ethereal can I use for SCO OpenServer 5.0.7??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bean2
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO Openserver 6.0

Hi there guys. I just got this new SCO version and i'm having some problem printing from shell, This is what i'm typing at the # sign : lp -dHP /etc/hosts and it prints no problem but when i use any other user at the $ sign it gives me this error. /dev/fd/7: /usr/lib/lp/sysv/7: not found. ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO Openserver 6.0

Hi guys, I just got this new 6.0 version and i'm trying to setup a remote office to telnet to this server running sco 6.0, in previous version all i have to do is add this file under /etc/rc2.d call S99route and put the gate in that file and that was it, for some reason in 6.0 it does not... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. SCO

sco openserver 5.0.7

Dear members when i installed dual processor patch in openserver 5.0.7 in hp ML370 G4 server it hangs in sco at G_hd_config. i tried MP4, EFS 5.64,5.70A but not solved the problem.. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: M_farooqui
0 Replies

9. SCO

sco openserver 5.0.0 boot / root disk

Hi, I have an openserver 5.0.0 machine in the office. The sysad of that machine left years ago without leaving the password to anyone. I was wondering if someone has a copy of the boot / root diskettes (rescue) for this version? Or perhaps if anyone knows a download link / location in the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
0 Replies

10. SCO

I need SCO Openserver 4.2!!!!

I need SCO Openserver 4.2. Please, give me distributive of that version SCO:eek: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: caine
0 Replies
FSCK_HFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       FSCK_HFS(8)

NAME
fsck.hfs -- HFS file system consistency check SYNOPSIS
fsck.hfs -q [-df] special ... fsck.hfs -p [-df] special ... fsck.hfs [-n | -y | -r] [-dfgl] [-m mode] [-c size] special ... DESCRIPTION
The fsck.hfs utility verifies and repairs standard HFS and HFS+ file systems. The first form of fsck.hfs quickly checks the specified file systems to determine whether they were cleanly unmounted. The second form of fsck.hfs preens the specified file systems. It is normally started by fsck(8) during systen boot, when a HFS file system is detected. When preening file systems, fsck.hfs will fix common inconsistencies for file systems that were not unmounted cleanly. If more serious problems are found, fsck.hfs does not try to fix them, indicates that it was not successful, and exits. The third form of fsck.hfs checks the specified file systems and tries to repair all detected inconsistencies. If no options are specified fsck.hfs will always check and attempt to fix the specified file systems. The options are as follows: -c size Specify the size of the cache used by fsck.hfs internally. Bigger size can result in better performance but can result in deadlock when used with -l option. Size can be specified as a decimal, octal, or hexadecimal number. If the number ends with a ``k'', ``m'', or ``g'', the number is multiplied by 1024 (1K), 1048576 (1M), or 1073741824 (1G), respectively. -d Display debugging information. This option may provide useful information when fsck.hfs cannot repair a damaged file system. -f When used with the -p option, force fsck.hfs to check `clean' file systems, otherwise it means force fsck.hfs to check and repair journaled HFS+ file systems. -g Causes fsck.hfs to generate its output strings in GUI format. This option is used when another application with a graphical user interface (like Mac OS X Disk Utility) is invoking the fsck.hfs tool. -l Lock down the file system and perform a test-only check. This makes it possible to check a file system that is currently mounted, although no repairs can be made. -m mode Mode is an octal number that will be used to set the permissions for the lost+found directory when it is created. The lost+found directory is only created when a volume is repaired and orphaned files or directories are detected. fsck.hfs places orphaned files and directories into the lost+found directory (located at the root of the volume). The default mode is 01777. -p Preen the specified file systems. -q Causes fsck.hfs to quickly check whether the volume was unmounted cleanly. If the volume was unmounted cleanly, then the exit status is 0. If the volume was not unmounted cleanly, then the exit status will be non-zero. In either case, a message is printed to standard output describing whether the volume was clean or dirty. -y Always attempt to repair any damage that is found. -n Never attempt to repair any damage that is found. -r Rebuild the catalog file on the specified file system. This option currently will only work if there is enough contiguous space on the specified file system for a new catalog file and if there is no damage to the leaf nodes in the existing catalog file. SEE ALSO
fsck(8) BUGS
fsck.hfs is not able to fix some inconsistencies that it detects. HISTORY
The fsck.hfs command appeared in Mac OS X Server 1.0 . Mac OS X November 21, 2002 Mac OS X