Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Slack message multi line from UNIX script Post 303025852 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 13th of November 2018 01:07:48 PM
Old 11-13-2018
Maybe you can do
Code:
db_sid_pro="ora_smon_$db_sid"
if pgrep -u oracle -x "$db_sid_pro" >/dev/null 
then
  tag="true"
  msg="$db_sid database instance is running"
  echo "$db_sid_pro database process is running"
else
fi

The shell script uses the exit status from pgrep and throws its result away. (Alternatively you could capture the result in a variable and then test it for having a value: pid=`pgrep ...`; if test -n "$pid")
The -u oracle and -x options make the match even more precise.
See man pgrep.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

message queues and multi-process

Hi, Am supposed to use message queues to send and receive messages between the processes. when i was working on that i realised that the message qid and the message queue related data should be maintained in a shared memory so that it can be accessed by all the processes. Could anybody refer... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvan
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi line variable script... needs help.

I am trying to write a script that will help me put a file into excel with little manipulation. Below is a sample of the file im using. Group1:*:gid1:user,user Group2:*:gid2:user,user Group3:*:gid3:user,user,user,user,user,user,user Group4:*:gid4:user,user I marked in red the part that is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookieuxixsa
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script to parse string and return multi-line file

Hello all, I have been asked to exercise my shell scripting and it has been 10 plus years since I used to do it so I can not remember hardly anything and ask for your help. What I need to do is copy a line out of a file that can be 10 to 100 characters long, I then need to parse this line into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alivadoro
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi-line filtering based on multi-line pattern in a file

I have a file with data records separated by multiple equals signs, as below. ========== RECORD 1 ========== RECORD 2 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 3 ========== RECORD 4 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 5 DATA LINE ========== I need to filter out all data from this file where the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing SAS multi line comments in UNIX

i have to remove the commented (/* . . . .*/) part which starts in one line and ends in other.help me with generic code because i have 1000 to 10k lines code which i have to remove. data one; set work.temp; input name age; infile filename; /* dfsdf dsfs sdfdf dsdd sdfsf sdfsf sfs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: deleting last line prevents '$' address from working in the multi-script invocation

It looks like if matching and deleting the last line confuses 'sed' so it does not recognize '$' address. Consider: sed -e '/^3/d' -e '$ a text' supposed to delete a line starting with '3' and then append 'text' after the last line of input. But, if it is the last line of input which starts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msz59
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Multi Line SQL in UNIX

Hello, Currently, I am reading few queries from the below .sql file --SOURCE TABLE NAME --SOURCE QUERY SEL COL1, COL2, COL3, COL4, COL5, COL6, COL7 WHERE COL5 = '2015-11-04 16:24:00.000000' FROM SOURCE TABLE; --TARGET TABLE NAME --TARGET QUERY SEL COLUMN1, COLUMN2, COLUMN3, COLUMN4,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronitreddy
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script to accept Multi line inputs

Hi there, I'm trying to create a script that will accept multiple inputs by copying and pasting the strings from a notepad, hit Enter key and output the string to a text file.I'm thinking of using the read command however it will just simply get the first line. Apologies but got no idea how... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: norbie.lopez
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reformat single-line multi-fasta into multi-line multi-fasta

Input File: >Seq1 ASDADAFASFASFADGSDGFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSD >Seq2 SDASDAQEQWEQeqAdfaasd >Seq3 ASDSALGHIUDFJANCAGPATHLACJHPAUTYNJKG ...... Desired Output File >Seq1 ASDADAFASF ASFADGSDGF SDFSDFSDFS DFSDFSDFSD FSDFSDFSDF SD >Seq2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merge multi-lines into one single line using shell script or Linux command

Hi, Can anyone help me for merge the following multi-line log which beginning with a " and line ending with ": into one line. *****Original Log***** 087;2008-12-06;084403;"mc;;SYHLR6AP1D\LNZW;AD-703;1;12475;SYHLR6AP1B;1.1.1.1;0000000062;HGPDI:MSISDN=12345678,APNID=1,EQOSID=365;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshlinux2010
3 Replies
PGREP(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          PGREP(1)

NAME
pgrep, pkill - look up or signal processes based on name and other attributes SYNOPSIS
pgrep [options] pattern pkill [options] pattern DESCRIPTION
pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists the process IDs which match the selection criteria to stdout. All the crite- ria have to match. For example, $ pgrep -u root sshd will only list the processes called sshd AND owned by root. On the other hand, $ pgrep -u root,daemon will list the processes owned by root OR daemon. pkill will send the specified signal (by default SIGTERM) to each process instead of listing them on stdout. OPTIONS
-signal --signal signal Defines the signal to send to each matched process. Either the numeric or the symbolic signal name can be used. (pkill only.) -c, --count Suppress normal output; instead print a count of matching processes. When count does not match anything, e.g. returns zero, the command will return non-zero value. -d, --delimiter delimiter Sets the string used to delimit each process ID in the output (by default a newline). (pgrep only.) -f, --full The pattern is normally only matched against the process name. When -f is set, the full command line is used. -g, --pgroup pgrp,... Only match processes in the process group IDs listed. Process group 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own process group. -G, --group gid,... Only match processes whose real group ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -i, --ignore-case Match processes case-insensitively. -l, --list-name List the process name as well as the process ID. (pgrep only.) -a, --list-full List the full command line as well as the process ID. (pgrep only.) -n, --newest Select only the newest (most recently started) of the matching processes. -o, --oldest Select only the oldest (least recently started) of the matching processes. -P, --parent ppid,... Only match processes whose parent process ID is listed. -s, --session sid,... Only match processes whose process session ID is listed. Session ID 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own session ID. -t, --terminal term,... Only match processes whose controlling terminal is listed. The terminal name should be specified without the "/dev/" prefix. -u, --euid euid,... Only match processes whose effective user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -U, --uid uid,... Only match processes whose real user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -v, --inverse Negates the matching. This option is usually used in pgrep's context. In pkill's context the short option is disabled to avoid accidental usage of the option. -w, --lightweight Shows all thread ids instead of pids in pgrep's context. In pkill's context this option is disabled. -x, --exact Only match processes whose names (or command line if -f is specified) exactly match the pattern. -F, --pidfile file Read PID's from file. This option is perhaps more useful for pkill than pgrep. -L, --logpidfile Fail if pidfile (see -F) not locked. --ns pid Match processes that belong to the same namespaces. Required to run as root to match processes from other users. See --nslist for how to limit which namespaces to match. --nslist name,... Match only the provided namespaces. Available namespaces: ipc, mnt, net, pid, user,uts. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help and exit. OPERANDS
pattern Specifies an Extended Regular Expression for matching against the process names or command lines. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Find the process ID of the named daemon: $ pgrep -u root named Example 2: Make syslog reread its configuration file: $ pkill -HUP syslogd Example 3: Give detailed information on all xterm processes: $ ps -fp $(pgrep -d, -x xterm) Example 4: Make all netscape processes run nicer: $ renice +4 $(pgrep netscape) EXIT STATUS
0 One or more processes matched the criteria. 1 No processes matched. 2 Syntax error in the command line. 3 Fatal error: out of memory etc. NOTES
The process name used for matching is limited to the 15 characters present in the output of /proc/pid/stat. Use the -f option to match against the complete command line, /proc/pid/cmdline. The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match. BUGS
The options -n and -o and -v can not be combined. Let me know if you need to do this. Defunct processes are reported. SEE ALSO
ps(1), regex(7), signal(7), killall(1), skill(1), kill(1), kill(2) AUTHOR
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng March 2015 PGREP(1)