Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Selectively deleting newlines with sed Post 303025756 by Xterra on Sunday 11th of November 2018 02:23:53 PM
Old 11-11-2018
got it ! Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing comma's with newlines using sed

Hi All, silly question that I'm sure is easy to answer for a more experienced coder... I have a file called test.txt containing the following text... need, to, break, this, line, into, individual, lines using sed, I'd like to make the file look like this... need to break this line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_coder
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help deleting lines with SED.

I take the /etc/passwd file and print it out, but I only want the lines that end with sh. I have cat /etc/passwd | sed '/sh/!d' Which prints out all lines that have sh somewhere in it. So I added $, which I thought matches the ends on lines, but its not working, like for example I have have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing strings with newlines : sed

Hi everyone, Since the previous time I received help from unix.com I have been encouraged to learn more. going through 1 of the articles(View Article) on sed I found, it pointed an interesting situation. Suppose the text is : Romeo and Ethel the Dancer Moves Audience to Tears. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed logic before deleting

FileA NAME STATE CITY ---- ---- ----- abc ca ca bcc ny ny def nj nj (3 rows affected) Q1) I want to delete the second row with is ---- ---- -----. Can delete 2nd row using following sed '2d' FileA >FileB but incase the second record is not ---- ---- -----. then data will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines using Sed

Hi All, Please can anyone help me as am deleting a line in a file with the below script: sed '/"$value"/d' redirects.virgin-atlantic.com.conf > olist where $value is a variable where the pattern to be matched is stored. I am not getting any error also but the line containing the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting text records with sed (sed paragraphs)

Hi all, First off, Thank you all for the knowledge I have gleaned from this site! Deleting Records from a text file... sed paragraphs The following code works nearly perfect, however each time it is run on the log file it adds a newline at the head of the file, run it 5 times, it'll have 5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove newlines and spaces

Hi all, i am getting count from oracle 11g by spooling it to a file. Now there are some newline characters and blank spaces i need to remove these. pl provide me a awk/sed solution. the spooled file is attached. i tried this.. but not getting req o/p (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishav
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing required newlines

hi i have a requirement to replace a string with another using sed and to get the result newline separated but after sed replacement the newline vanishes below is sample code #!/bin/ksh set -x string="name sam\nage 45 \nsport soccer" echo $string string=`echo $string | sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: midhun19
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed a multiple line pattern that has newlines followed by text and r

Here is the text that I was to run sed on. In this text I want to insert a semi colon ';' before 'select a13.STORE_TYPE STORE_TYPE,' and after 'from ZZMR00 pa11' Input text: insert into ZZMQ01 select pa11.STATE_NBR STATE_NBR, pa11.STORE_TYPE STORE_TYPE, ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: v_vineeta11
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting [CR][LF] using sed

Dear all, I face a problem I can not solve: I have different lines in a file and some of them are ending with ie "\r\n" and the others are ending with "\n". My aim is to supress the string "\r\n" and concatenate that line with the following one. For example: Saying I have a file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies
nl(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					      nl(3XCURSES)

NAME
nl, nonl - enable/disable newline control SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int nl(void); int nonl(void); DESCRIPTION
The nl() function enables the handling of newlines. The nl() function converts newline into carriage return and line feed on output and converts carriage return into newline on input. nonl() disables the handling of newlines. The handling of newlines is initially enabled. Disabling the handling of newlines results in faster cursor motion since X/Open Curses can use the line-feed capability more efficiently. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
None. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libcurses(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 nl(3XCURSES)