Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh scripting SSH to Compare File Sizes Post 303025658 by RudiC on Thursday 8th of November 2018 12:05:28 PM
Old 11-08-2018
Does your ksh version understand the (( ... )) "Arithmetic Expansion"?
Did you check for the istat command?
Did you assess using ls -l's size field (one inode access) against counting every single byte in a file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare file sizes

Is there a command that will return the name of the largest file within a directory? If so, can I set the returned filename into a variable? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joli
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare total directory structure and get sizes of all f on two different servers

Hello every one, Iam newbie to this forum and shell programming &scripting. i needed to compare each and every folder of two separate servers. Actually I have copied some directory structure from one server to second server, to build on second server the files all should be copied... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare file sizes

hi ls -l * | sed 's/\+/ /g' | cut -f5 -d " " >out1 ls -l * | sed 's/\+/ /g' | cut -f5 -d " " >out2 diff out1 out2 i tried this it will work fine and i can see difference but i need a script which should neglect, if the difference b/w files is small and it should display... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: revenna
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Compare variable to $1 in an input file

Hello, I am working with KSH on AIX and I have 2 files generated from different sources... as seen below: FILE1 FILE2 AAA AAA@ABS0001C BBB BBB@ABS0003D CCC CCC@ABS0023A DDD DDD@ABC0145D EEE EEE@ABS0090A FFF FFF@ABS0002A GGG GGG@ABC0150D HHH FILE1 is main main data source,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

compare file percent sizes

I need to get a file size and compare it to a previous day file size. If it's larger or smaller by 50 percent I'll replace the new with the old. I know how to get the file sizes but do not know how to calculate if it's 50 percent difference. Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two file sizes.

Hi everyone! I need to compare two file sizes. One of them (size) will be stored in a flat file and the other coming from a listed file. I can now get the first file size using: SIZE=`ls -l $DOCTYPE | awk '{print $5}'` 1. How can I store this value in a flat file? 2. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare file sizes

I need to write a bash script larger X Y that compares the sizes of two specified files X and Y, and reports which file is larger. For example, if X is larger, the output should be "File X is larger", while if Y is larger, the output should be "File Y is larger". If the files are exactly the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: julia_21436
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using csh / awk / sed to compare database sizes in a txt file

Hello, I have an output file showing database sizes across the 3 environments that I use (LIVE, TEST & DEVELOPMENT). I am trying to write a script that lets me know if the size of a db on one environment is different to its corresponding db on the other environments. Here is an example... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevie_g
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh scripting, skip server if asks for password with SSH

Hi, I am running a script that connets to a list of servers with SSH and runs a command but I have some servers that are asking for password (authorized keys is not configured properly). Is there any way to do so that if I get a prompt for password just skip that entry? my script: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galuzan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: how compare content of a file with an other array

Hi, I created a skript in ksh which generate a file with semicolon as separator, this is an example of the file a created: example content file: hello;AAAA;2014-08-17 hello;BBBB;2014-08-17 hello;CCCC;2014-08-17 I would need to compare the content in of the second column of this file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmartin
3 Replies
ISTAT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ISTAT(1)

NAME
istat - Display details of a meta-data structure (i.e. inode) SYNOPSIS
istat [-B num ] [-f fstype ] [-i imgtype] [-o imgoffset] [-b dev_sector_size] [-vV] [-z zone ] [-s seconds ] image [images] inode DESCRIPTION
istat displays the uid, gid, mode, size, link number, modified , accessed, changed times, and all the disk units a structure has allocated. The options are as follows: -B num Display the addresses of num disk units. Useful when the inode is unallocated with size 0, but still has block pointers. -f fstype Specify the file system type. Use '-f list' to list the supported file system types. If not given, autodetection methods are used. -s seconds The time skew of the original system in seconds. For example, if the original system was 100 seconds slow, this value would be -100. -i imgtype Identify the type of image file, such as raw or split. Use '-i list' to list the supported types. If not given, autodetection methods are used. -o imgoffset The sector offset where the file system starts in the image. -b dev_sector_size The size, in bytes, of the underlying device sectors. If not given, the value in the image format is used (if it exists) or 512-bytes is assumed. -v Verbose output of debugging statements to stderr -V Display version -z zone An ASCII string of the original system's time zone. For example, EST5EDT or GMT. These strings are defined by the operating system and may vary. NOTE: This has changed since TCTUTILs. image [images] One (or more if split) disk or partition images whose format is given with '-i'. inode Meta-data number to display stats on AUTHOR
Brian Carrier <carrier at sleuthkit dot org> Send documentation updates to <doc-updates at sleuthkit dot org> ISTAT(1)