Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Slack message multi line from UNIX script Post 303025574 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 6th of November 2018 04:28:05 AM
Old 11-06-2018
Your code fragment: echo $text | $text1 is piping the output from echo $text into the command specified by $text1. From your description, that doesn't seem to be what you want to do. If you had shown us how lmsg had been initialized and had shown us the diagnostics produced when you tried to run your code, this might have been more obvious.

The code gull04 suggested will concatenate the text from both variables onto a single line of output. If you want to print the contents of your two variables on separate lines, you need to put a <newline> character between the output from formatting each of your two variables. One portable way to do that would be to replace the code fragment above with:
Code:
printf '%s\n' "$text" "$text1"

If $text and/or $text1 expand to multiple lines that you're trying to flatten or contain sequences of multiple spaces that you're trying to convert to single spaces or contain tabs that you want to convert to spaces (and that is why you didn't quote them), then replace the code fragment shown above with:
Code:
{ echo $text
  echo $text1
}

or:
Code:
{ echo $text; echo $text1; }

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

message queues and multi-process

Hi, Am supposed to use message queues to send and receive messages between the processes. when i was working on that i realised that the message qid and the message queue related data should be maintained in a shared memory so that it can be accessed by all the processes. Could anybody refer... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvan
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi line variable script... needs help.

I am trying to write a script that will help me put a file into excel with little manipulation. Below is a sample of the file im using. Group1:*:gid1:user,user Group2:*:gid2:user,user Group3:*:gid3:user,user,user,user,user,user,user Group4:*:gid4:user,user I marked in red the part that is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookieuxixsa
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script to parse string and return multi-line file

Hello all, I have been asked to exercise my shell scripting and it has been 10 plus years since I used to do it so I can not remember hardly anything and ask for your help. What I need to do is copy a line out of a file that can be 10 to 100 characters long, I then need to parse this line into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alivadoro
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi-line filtering based on multi-line pattern in a file

I have a file with data records separated by multiple equals signs, as below. ========== RECORD 1 ========== RECORD 2 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 3 ========== RECORD 4 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 5 DATA LINE ========== I need to filter out all data from this file where the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing SAS multi line comments in UNIX

i have to remove the commented (/* . . . .*/) part which starts in one line and ends in other.help me with generic code because i have 1000 to 10k lines code which i have to remove. data one; set work.temp; input name age; infile filename; /* dfsdf dsfs sdfdf dsdd sdfsf sdfsf sfs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: deleting last line prevents '$' address from working in the multi-script invocation

It looks like if matching and deleting the last line confuses 'sed' so it does not recognize '$' address. Consider: sed -e '/^3/d' -e '$ a text' supposed to delete a line starting with '3' and then append 'text' after the last line of input. But, if it is the last line of input which starts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msz59
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Multi Line SQL in UNIX

Hello, Currently, I am reading few queries from the below .sql file --SOURCE TABLE NAME --SOURCE QUERY SEL COL1, COL2, COL3, COL4, COL5, COL6, COL7 WHERE COL5 = '2015-11-04 16:24:00.000000' FROM SOURCE TABLE; --TARGET TABLE NAME --TARGET QUERY SEL COLUMN1, COLUMN2, COLUMN3, COLUMN4,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronitreddy
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Script to accept Multi line inputs

Hi there, I'm trying to create a script that will accept multiple inputs by copying and pasting the strings from a notepad, hit Enter key and output the string to a text file.I'm thinking of using the read command however it will just simply get the first line. Apologies but got no idea how... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: norbie.lopez
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reformat single-line multi-fasta into multi-line multi-fasta

Input File: >Seq1 ASDADAFASFASFADGSDGFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSD >Seq2 SDASDAQEQWEQeqAdfaasd >Seq3 ASDSALGHIUDFJANCAGPATHLACJHPAUTYNJKG ...... Desired Output File >Seq1 ASDADAFASF ASFADGSDGF SDFSDFSDFS DFSDFSDFSD FSDFSDFSDF SD >Seq2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merge multi-lines into one single line using shell script or Linux command

Hi, Can anyone help me for merge the following multi-line log which beginning with a " and line ending with ": into one line. *****Original Log***** 087;2008-12-06;084403;"mc;;SYHLR6AP1D\LNZW;AD-703;1;12475;SYHLR6AP1B;1.1.1.1;0000000062;HGPDI:MSISDN=12345678,APNID=1,EQOSID=365;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshlinux2010
3 Replies
Mail::Message::Construct::Text(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Mail::Message::Construct::Text(3pm)

NAME
Mail::Message::Construct::Text - capture a Mail::Message as text SYNOPSIS
my $text = $msg->string; my $text = "$msg"; # via overload my @text = $msg->lines; my @text = @$lines; # via overload my $fh = $msg->file; my $line = <$fh>; $msg->printStructure; DESCRIPTION
Complex functionality on Mail::Message objects is implemented in different files which are autoloaded. This file implements the functionality related to creating message replies. METHODS
The whole message as text $obj->file() Returns the message as file-handle. $obj->lines() Returns the whole message as set of lines. In LIST context, copies of the lines are returned. In SCALAR context, a reference to an array of lines is returned. $obj->printStructure([FILEHANDLE|undef],[INDENT]) Print the structure of a message to the specified FILEHANDLE or the selected filehandle. When explicitly "undef" is specified as handle, then the output will be returned as string. The message's subject and the types of all composing parts are displayed. INDENT specifies the initial indentation string: it is added in front of each line. The INDENT must contain at least one white-space. example: my $msg = ...; $msg->printStructure(*OUTPUT); $msg->printStructure; my $struct = $msg->printStructure(undef); # Possible output for one message: multipart/mixed: forwarded message from Pietje Puk (1550 bytes) text/plain (164 bytes) message/rfc822 (1043 bytes) multipart/alternative: A multipart alternative (942 bytes) text/plain (148 bytes, deleted) text/html (358 bytes) $obj->string() Returns the whole message as string. Flags SEE ALSO
This module is part of Mail-Box distribution version 2.105, built on May 07, 2012. Website: http://perl.overmeer.net/mailbox/ LICENSE
Copyrights 2001-2012 by [Mark Overmeer]. For other contributors see ChangeLog. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html perl v5.14.2 2012-05-07 Mail::Message::Construct::Text(3pm)