Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script to print the smallest floating point number in a row that is not 0 Post 303025398 by Don Cragun on Thursday 1st of November 2018 01:58:42 PM
Old 11-01-2018
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Take the time you need to recover; we'll be ready to help when you get back to us.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: floating point exception

Hi, guys, today, I have copied a simple script which runs correctly on a computer to another one. But, the latter informs me: Floating point exception! @ ./command_module a b c where command_module is the module compiled by myself. So, I have fixed it by following steps: 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mapleleaves
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using bc with floating point number in files

Hi, I' using bash and I would like to use "bc" to compute the ratio of of two numbers and assign the ratio to a variable. The numbers are in a file, e.g. 196.304492 615.348986 Any idea how to do it? N.B. I cannot change the file to have 196.304492 / 615.348986 as the file is produced by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point not recognized by printf in bash

Dear all, I have the following question. Let's say that I have the following script #!/bin/bash value=0.4987865 a=` printf "%6.2f" $value ` b=`echo $value + $value | bc -l` echo $a echo $b exit And the exit is: 0,00 .9975730 Thus, the problem is that the printf order does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point number problem

Hello folks I Hope everyone is fine. I am calculating number of bytes calculation from apache web log. awk '{ sum += $10 } END { print sum }' /var/httpd/log/mydomain.log 7.45557e+09 it show above number, what should i do it sow number like 7455, i mean if after decimal point above 5 it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with floating point number loops

Hey, I guess I am just to stupid and am not seeing the "wood for the trees", but I am always getting strange errors. I want to create a mesh with coordinates like: x y z 3.1 3.0 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.9 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.8 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.7 0.75 0 0 1 3.0 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Regex for floating point number

Hey again, I have a basic regex that tests if a number is a float. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Floating point math with bc

Hello Everyone, I am currently working on a script to calculate optimal tcp window size the formula that I am following is 2 x (bandwith speed /8 * Round Trip Time ) = x This is what I have so far #!/bin/bash echo "Enter connection speed" << Get the speed of the Connection from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmfmancini
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Floating point exception

Heyas I have a script (vhs - video handler script, using ffmpeg) to encode videos. It also encodes a dvd, but until now just non-copy-protected ones, so i've tried to add/implement a vobcopy wrapper to be used by my script. At first it looked quite fine, but when changing from the first VOB... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert floating point to a number

Hello Guys, I have a floating point number 1.14475E+15 I want to convert this number in to full number (Integer or Big integer). I tried couple of functions it did not work. When I use INT=${FLOAT/.*} I am getting value as 1. I don't want a truncated value #!/bin/bash #... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skatpally
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of floating point numbers in bash

I have the following code snippet in bash if ]; then minm=`echo "$diff" | bc` fi It works well for most of the cases. However lets say diff is -0.17 and minm is -0.0017. In such a case the comparison seems to fail. Is the correct way to compare a mixture of positive and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
12 Replies
ISGREATER(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					      ISGREATER(3)

NAME
isgreater, isgreaterequal, isless, islessequal, islessgreater, isunordered -- compare two floating-point numbers LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <math.h> int isgreater(real-floating x, real-floating y); int isgreaterequal(real-floating x, real-floating y); int isless(real-floating x, real-floating y); int islessequal(real-floating x, real-floating y); int islessgreater(real-floating x, real-floating y); int isunordered(real-floating x, real-floating y); DESCRIPTION
Each of the macros isgreater(), isgreaterequal(), isless(), islessequal(), and islessgreater() takes arguments x and y and returns a non-zero value if and only if its nominal relation on x and y is true. These macros always return zero if either argument is not a number (NaN), but unlike the corresponding C operators, they never raise a floating point exception. The isunordered() macro takes arguments x and y, returning non-zero if either x or y is NaN. For any pair of floating-point values, one of the relationships (less, greater, equal, unordered) holds. SEE ALSO
fpclassify(3), math(3), signbit(3) STANDARDS
The isgreater(), isgreaterequal(), isless(), islessequal(), islessgreater(), and isunordered() macros conform to ISO/IEC 9899:1999 (``ISO C99''). BSD
December 1, 2008 BSD