Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script to print the smallest floating point number in a row that is not 0 Post 303025396 by LMHmedchem on Thursday 1st of November 2018 01:22:45 PM
Old 11-01-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
What output do you want if all fields are zero?

I assume that you know that sed is not a common tool for this project, and, as you said, bash isn't well known for handling floating point values. If you want to process your file entirely in shell code, ksh would be a good choice. Otherwise, as you well know, awk is perfectly suited to problems like this.

What have you tried to solve this on your own? Where are you stuck?
Sorry, I was in a pretty bad accident last night and I just got back from the Hospital. I probably won't be able to respond more completely until tomorrow. I will answer your questions in my next post.

Thanks,

LMHmedchem
This User Gave Thanks to LMHmedchem For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: floating point exception

Hi, guys, today, I have copied a simple script which runs correctly on a computer to another one. But, the latter informs me: Floating point exception! @ ./command_module a b c where command_module is the module compiled by myself. So, I have fixed it by following steps: 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mapleleaves
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using bc with floating point number in files

Hi, I' using bash and I would like to use "bc" to compute the ratio of of two numbers and assign the ratio to a variable. The numbers are in a file, e.g. 196.304492 615.348986 Any idea how to do it? N.B. I cannot change the file to have 196.304492 / 615.348986 as the file is produced by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point not recognized by printf in bash

Dear all, I have the following question. Let's say that I have the following script #!/bin/bash value=0.4987865 a=` printf "%6.2f" $value ` b=`echo $value + $value | bc -l` echo $a echo $b exit And the exit is: 0,00 .9975730 Thus, the problem is that the printf order does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point number problem

Hello folks I Hope everyone is fine. I am calculating number of bytes calculation from apache web log. awk '{ sum += $10 } END { print sum }' /var/httpd/log/mydomain.log 7.45557e+09 it show above number, what should i do it sow number like 7455, i mean if after decimal point above 5 it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with floating point number loops

Hey, I guess I am just to stupid and am not seeing the "wood for the trees", but I am always getting strange errors. I want to create a mesh with coordinates like: x y z 3.1 3.0 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.9 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.8 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.7 0.75 0 0 1 3.0 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Regex for floating point number

Hey again, I have a basic regex that tests if a number is a float. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Floating point math with bc

Hello Everyone, I am currently working on a script to calculate optimal tcp window size the formula that I am following is 2 x (bandwith speed /8 * Round Trip Time ) = x This is what I have so far #!/bin/bash echo "Enter connection speed" << Get the speed of the Connection from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmfmancini
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Floating point exception

Heyas I have a script (vhs - video handler script, using ffmpeg) to encode videos. It also encodes a dvd, but until now just non-copy-protected ones, so i've tried to add/implement a vobcopy wrapper to be used by my script. At first it looked quite fine, but when changing from the first VOB... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert floating point to a number

Hello Guys, I have a floating point number 1.14475E+15 I want to convert this number in to full number (Integer or Big integer). I tried couple of functions it did not work. When I use INT=${FLOAT/.*} I am getting value as 1. I don't want a truncated value #!/bin/bash #... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skatpally
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of floating point numbers in bash

I have the following code snippet in bash if ]; then minm=`echo "$diff" | bc` fi It works well for most of the cases. However lets say diff is -0.17 and minm is -0.0017. In such a case the comparison seems to fail. Is the correct way to compare a mixture of positive and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
12 Replies
COLORGCCRC(5)							File Formats Manual						     COLORGCCRC(5)

NAME
colorgccrc - configuration file for colorgcc DESCRIPTION
A colorgccrc configuration file is used to configure the highlighting of the compiler output from colorgcc. SYNTAX
Each line consists of a keyword designating a configuration variable. The keyword is followed by `:' and then one or several values (depending on the keyword). Lines beginning with a hash mark `#' are comments. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
g++ | gcc | c++ | cc | g77 | gcj | gnat | gpc Specifies the paths to the compilers. Takes one value; a path to the compiler. nocolor Specifies what terminal types colorization should be disabled on. Takes one or several values, separated by whitespace. srcColor Specifies the highlighting attributes source-code should be given. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. introColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for normal compiler output. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningFileNameColor | errorFileNameColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the filename in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningNumberColor | errorNumberColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the line-number in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningMessageColor | errorMessageColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the message-text in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. COLOR ATTRIBUTES
The following attributes are valid for highlighting. clear, reset bold, underline, underscore, blink, reverse, concealed black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white on_black, on_red, on_green, on_yellow, on_blue, on_magenta, on_cyan, on_white SEE ALSO
gcc(1), colorgcc(1) HISTORY
Jan 15 2003: Initial version of this manual-page. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <jmoyers@geeks.com> AUTHORS
Jamie Moyers <jmoyers@geeks.com> is the author of colorgcc. This manual page was written by Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>, and modified by David Weinehall <tao@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Jamie Moyers This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Jan 15, 2003 COLORGCCRC(5)