Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script to print the smallest floating point number in a row that is not 0 Post 303025396 by LMHmedchem on Thursday 1st of November 2018 01:22:45 PM
Old 11-01-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
What output do you want if all fields are zero?

I assume that you know that sed is not a common tool for this project, and, as you said, bash isn't well known for handling floating point values. If you want to process your file entirely in shell code, ksh would be a good choice. Otherwise, as you well know, awk is perfectly suited to problems like this.

What have you tried to solve this on your own? Where are you stuck?
Sorry, I was in a pretty bad accident last night and I just got back from the Hospital. I probably won't be able to respond more completely until tomorrow. I will answer your questions in my next post.

Thanks,

LMHmedchem
This User Gave Thanks to LMHmedchem For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: floating point exception

Hi, guys, today, I have copied a simple script which runs correctly on a computer to another one. But, the latter informs me: Floating point exception! @ ./command_module a b c where command_module is the module compiled by myself. So, I have fixed it by following steps: 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mapleleaves
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using bc with floating point number in files

Hi, I' using bash and I would like to use "bc" to compute the ratio of of two numbers and assign the ratio to a variable. The numbers are in a file, e.g. 196.304492 615.348986 Any idea how to do it? N.B. I cannot change the file to have 196.304492 / 615.348986 as the file is produced by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point not recognized by printf in bash

Dear all, I have the following question. Let's say that I have the following script #!/bin/bash value=0.4987865 a=` printf "%6.2f" $value ` b=`echo $value + $value | bc -l` echo $a echo $b exit And the exit is: 0,00 .9975730 Thus, the problem is that the printf order does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point number problem

Hello folks I Hope everyone is fine. I am calculating number of bytes calculation from apache web log. awk '{ sum += $10 } END { print sum }' /var/httpd/log/mydomain.log 7.45557e+09 it show above number, what should i do it sow number like 7455, i mean if after decimal point above 5 it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with floating point number loops

Hey, I guess I am just to stupid and am not seeing the "wood for the trees", but I am always getting strange errors. I want to create a mesh with coordinates like: x y z 3.1 3.0 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.9 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.8 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.7 0.75 0 0 1 3.0 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Regex for floating point number

Hey again, I have a basic regex that tests if a number is a float. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Floating point math with bc

Hello Everyone, I am currently working on a script to calculate optimal tcp window size the formula that I am following is 2 x (bandwith speed /8 * Round Trip Time ) = x This is what I have so far #!/bin/bash echo "Enter connection speed" << Get the speed of the Connection from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmfmancini
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Floating point exception

Heyas I have a script (vhs - video handler script, using ffmpeg) to encode videos. It also encodes a dvd, but until now just non-copy-protected ones, so i've tried to add/implement a vobcopy wrapper to be used by my script. At first it looked quite fine, but when changing from the first VOB... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert floating point to a number

Hello Guys, I have a floating point number 1.14475E+15 I want to convert this number in to full number (Integer or Big integer). I tried couple of functions it did not work. When I use INT=${FLOAT/.*} I am getting value as 1. I don't want a truncated value #!/bin/bash #... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skatpally
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of floating point numbers in bash

I have the following code snippet in bash if ]; then minm=`echo "$diff" | bc` fi It works well for most of the cases. However lets say diff is -0.17 and minm is -0.0017. In such a case the comparison seems to fail. Is the correct way to compare a mixture of positive and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
12 Replies
WMANAGER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       WMANAGER(1)

NAME
wmanager -- choose a window manager and launch it SYNOPSIS
wmanager [OPTIONS ...] DESCRIPTION
The wmanager program displays a choice of the window managers listed in the ~/.wmanagerrc file. When one is picked, the related command is written to standard output, intended to be used by shell scripts. If the program is exited without choosing a window manager, ``-1'' is written to standard output. -fg COLOR Set the foreground color. -bg COLOR Set the background color. -bg2 COLOR Set the widget background color -di[splay] host:n.n Set the X display. -dn[d], -nod[nd] Enable/disable drag & drop, probably does nothing. -g[eometry] WxH+X+Y Set the window size and location. -i[conic] Start as iconified. -k[bd], -nok[bd] Enable/disable keyboard support. -na[me] CLASSNAME Set the X window class. -s[cheme] SCHEME Unknown, probably does nothing useful. -ti[tle] WINDOWTITLE Set the window title. -to[oltips], -not[ooltips] Enable/disable tooltips, probably does nothing. EXAMPLE
To start using wmanager, create a ~/.wmanagerrc file - generally with wmanagerrc-update(1) - and add something like the following at the end of your ~/.xsession file: WM="$(wmanager -geometry +570+585)" ... exec $WM See also wmanager-loop(1) for a nicer way to start wmanager. SEE ALSO
wmanager(1), wmanager-loop(1), wmanagerrc-update(1), X(7x) HISTORY
The wmanager program was written by Meik Tessmer in 1999. This manual page was originally written in perldoc format by Tommi Virtanen in 2000, and converted to mdoc format by Peter Pentchev in 2008. AUTHORS
The wmanager program - Meik Tessmer <fuller@daemogorgon.net>. The manual page - Tommi Virtanen <tv@debian.org> and Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>. BSD
May 22, 2008 BSD