Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh scripting SSH to Compare File Sizes Post 303025351 by RudiC on Wednesday 31st of October 2018 09:07:25 AM
Old 10-31-2018
You will have to define the function on each node separately, and the local variables like FILESZ1 won't be available there.

How about creating a server file like
Code:
$ cat svctl
user@server2
user@server3
user@server4

to which you could even add your local server entry (user@server1) as the first line provided it has an sshd service running, and then, using shell arrays for the file sizes
Code:
$ FILE1=/root/directory1/files/file1.fil
$ FILE2=/root/directory2/files/file2.fil 
$ while read SV; do { read FILESZ1[++CNT]; read FILESZ2[CNT]; } <<< $(ssh -n $SV "stat -c%s $FILE1; stat -c%s $FILE2"); done <  svctl

leaving you with two file size arrays of four elements each to work upon locally. Admittedly, this has been tested on bash only, as I don't have a ksh machine here, but corrections - if necessary at all - should be minor.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare file sizes

Is there a command that will return the name of the largest file within a directory? If so, can I set the returned filename into a variable? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joli
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare total directory structure and get sizes of all f on two different servers

Hello every one, Iam newbie to this forum and shell programming &scripting. i needed to compare each and every folder of two separate servers. Actually I have copied some directory structure from one server to second server, to build on second server the files all should be copied... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare file sizes

hi ls -l * | sed 's/\+/ /g' | cut -f5 -d " " >out1 ls -l * | sed 's/\+/ /g' | cut -f5 -d " " >out2 diff out1 out2 i tried this it will work fine and i can see difference but i need a script which should neglect, if the difference b/w files is small and it should display... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: revenna
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Compare variable to $1 in an input file

Hello, I am working with KSH on AIX and I have 2 files generated from different sources... as seen below: FILE1 FILE2 AAA AAA@ABS0001C BBB BBB@ABS0003D CCC CCC@ABS0023A DDD DDD@ABC0145D EEE EEE@ABS0090A FFF FFF@ABS0002A GGG GGG@ABC0150D HHH FILE1 is main main data source,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

compare file percent sizes

I need to get a file size and compare it to a previous day file size. If it's larger or smaller by 50 percent I'll replace the new with the old. I know how to get the file sizes but do not know how to calculate if it's 50 percent difference. Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare two file sizes.

Hi everyone! I need to compare two file sizes. One of them (size) will be stored in a flat file and the other coming from a listed file. I can now get the first file size using: SIZE=`ls -l $DOCTYPE | awk '{print $5}'` 1. How can I store this value in a flat file? 2. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare file sizes

I need to write a bash script larger X Y that compares the sizes of two specified files X and Y, and reports which file is larger. For example, if X is larger, the output should be "File X is larger", while if Y is larger, the output should be "File Y is larger". If the files are exactly the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: julia_21436
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using csh / awk / sed to compare database sizes in a txt file

Hello, I have an output file showing database sizes across the 3 environments that I use (LIVE, TEST & DEVELOPMENT). I am trying to write a script that lets me know if the size of a db on one environment is different to its corresponding db on the other environments. Here is an example... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevie_g
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh scripting, skip server if asks for password with SSH

Hi, I am running a script that connets to a list of servers with SSH and runs a command but I have some servers that are asking for password (authorized keys is not configured properly). Is there any way to do so that if I get a prompt for password just skip that entry? my script: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galuzan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: how compare content of a file with an other array

Hi, I created a skript in ksh which generate a file with semicolon as separator, this is an example of the file a created: example content file: hello;AAAA;2014-08-17 hello;BBBB;2014-08-17 hello;CCCC;2014-08-17 I would need to compare the content in of the second column of this file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmartin
3 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)