Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove last '1' in list of variables Post 303025242 by RudiC on Monday 29th of October 2018 08:28:10 AM
Old 10-29-2018
Any attempts / ideas / thoughts from your side?

Do you want to remove the verbatim 1 at the end of EACH lne in that file, or just the last character, whatever it might be?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Too many files to list / remove

I have a directory which has 614,000 files. When attempting to do an ls -ralt in the directory an error too many arguments is shown. 1. I would like to see what files and their stats in the directory 2. I would like to delete certain files of a certain age (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinplant
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to remove paragraphs with variables

Hi everyone, I have a file with multiple entries and I would like to remove the ones that contain either /A"> or /A/, where A can be any letter of the alphabet. Here's an example of the entries: <Topic r:id="Top/World/Fran"> <catid>476</catid> <link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BlueberryPickle
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

list file content as individual variables

Hello, I've created a couple of files within a list using the command "ls -ltr | tail -2 > list" These files are the newest files placed within a directory. From the "list" file, I need to place the filenames as a variable. In which the newest file will be called "new_ctrl" the older file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: petersf
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create variables from directory list problem

I am trying to take a list of directories in a folder and give them a variable name. I have this working with the exception that the shell_exec command wants to place a return. Here is my code which might explain better what I am trying to do: <?php session_start(); $student1=$_SESSION;... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robp2175
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For Loop for a list of tab delimited variables

Hello, I need to run a command for a set of input variables that are present in a tab delimited file, a sample of which is shown below: 1 3749 1 4129 1 5980 2 6201 2 9925 2 6894 3 1338 3 6477 3 6242 3 3632 Every row represents the two input values... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

List file with variables expanded

Hello, I have this problem. I have script file, e.g. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo $MY_DIR ls -lt $MY_DIR I want to list the script but with MY_DIR variable expanded. E.g. MY_DIR=/abc/xyz (in shell MY_DIR is set) So I want to list the script and see: #!/usr/bin/ksh echo /abc/xyz ls... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1omen
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

List of all environment variables?

Hey all, I am simply trying to find a listing of all of the default BASH environment variables in RHEL 5.4. Namely, I need to find what the path variable is for libraries since one of my applications doesn't see a module that it needs to run. So far I've seen $LD_PRELOAD, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need expect to read variables from a list while logged into the same device

Hi, I'm primarily a Cisco/Juniper networking guy, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance when it comes to scripting (although I do write simple backup scripts and things of that nature on a regular basis and I run Linux at home, so I am vaguely familiar with it). What I need to do should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolverene13
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove ^? characters in shell variables on using backspace

Friends, I observed a peculiar problem in shell. if I set a variable using standard input and backspace was used by the user, then the variable get ^? characters embedded in the variable. ### echo "Enter value for X=" read X echo $X expr $X + 1 ### If the variable is echoed, then there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinverma
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to have local shell variables in a ksh script seen on remove server in SSH block?

I have googled this and found many solutions, but none of them are working for me. I am in a korn shell, most others reference bsh, maybe that is the issue? Anyway, all I am trying to do is use a variable I have declared in my main script in a remote shell I am running through ssh. So I have a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJR
8 Replies
GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)                                                   Git Manual                                                   GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)

NAME
git-stripspace - Remove unnecessary whitespace SYNOPSIS
git stripspace [-s | --strip-comments] git stripspace [-c | --comment-lines] DESCRIPTION
Read text, such as commit messages, notes, tags and branch descriptions, from the standard input and clean it in the manner used by Git. With no arguments, this will: o remove trailing whitespace from all lines o collapse multiple consecutive empty lines into one empty line o remove empty lines from the beginning and end of the input o add a missing to the last line if necessary. In the case where the input consists entirely of whitespace characters, no output will be produced. NOTE: This is intended for cleaning metadata, prefer the --whitespace=fix mode of git-apply(1) for correcting whitespace of patches or files in the repository. OPTIONS
-s, --strip-comments Skip and remove all lines starting with comment character (default #). -c, --comment-lines Prepend comment character and blank to each line. Lines will automatically be terminated with a newline. On empty lines, only the comment character will be prepended. EXAMPLES
Given the following noisy input with $ indicating the end of a line: |A brief introduction $ | $ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line $ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out. $ | $ |The end.$ | $ Use git stripspace with no arguments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |# with a commented-out line$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |# An old paragraph, also commented-out.$ |$ |The end.$ Use git stripspace --strip-comments to obtain: |A brief introduction$ |$ |A new paragraph$ |explaining lots of stuff.$ |$ |The end.$ GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-STRIPSPACE(1)