Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help in sorting the file and putting to a different folder Post 303025199 by RudiC on Friday 26th of October 2018 03:55:20 PM
Old 10-26-2018
Let me paraphrase your request:
Move exactly one "CM" and one "CL" file to the respective directory (as, once a file has been moved, the directory is not empty any more). You did not specify anything about a sort order. How about
Code:
if ! ls temp/CM/* &>/dev/null ; then  echo mv -v $(ls -rt temp/input/*CM* | head -1) temp/CM; fi 
if ! ls temp/CL/* &>/dev/null ; then  echo mv -v $(ls -rt temp/input/*CL* | head -1) temp/CL; fi

You might want to loop through all file types in a for loop.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting restrictions when copying file

I would like to create a command to copy a file with a restriction- if the file exists at the copy destination, the copy does not occur and message is provided that file already exists. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoffpauir
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting a timestamp in a file

I was sure there was a way to put a timestamp ina logfile but I can't seem to figure out how. What I would like to do is after the last messages in the rptmgr.err log is put a timestamp so I know the next time I look whats new. I am using AIX 5.1 any help will great Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse the .txt file for folder name and FTP to the corrsponding folder.

Oracle procedure create files on UNIX folder on a regular basis. I need to FTP files onto windows server and place the files, based on their name, in the corresponding folders. File name is as follows: ccyymmddfoldernamefile.txt; Folder Name length could be of any size; however, the prefix and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeganP
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting screen output in a log file

I want to output screen messages to a logfile when executing an automated script. I have tried the script and command to do this but with no luck. Thanks, Nicole (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsutti
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Putting echoed text into a new file

Hi, I've set up a script so that a user answers questions, and then these answers come back onto the screen accompanied by text that I've echoed. Is there a way of putting this into a new file? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: likelylad
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Management: How do I move all JPGS in a folder structure to a single folder?

This is the file structure: DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder1qweqwasdfsd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder2asdasdasd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder3asdadfhgasdf/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder4qwetwdfsdfg/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting together all values from different files in one file

Hi All, This is what I am trying to achieve but to no avail. I have three sets of files which are: 1. One big dictionary file which looks like this: apple orange computer pear country 2. Some thousands of text files which are named as 1.dat, 2.dat, 3.dat etc The text files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Sorting folder size not working

I am using du -h --max-depth=2 to get list of folders by size upto 2 levels down. Problem is I am not able to sort them in max folder size. Normally this can be achieved by using du -k | sort -nr * but I can't use it here since it conflicts (the -s argument) with the --max-depth=2 argument. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Putting the Current -date in the Output File

Hi guys, Just want to ask how can I make a script that will perform like this. 1. Execute the command 2. Then the output of the command will be redirected to a file 2. The file that has been created will have a date on it equivalent to the date and time it was created (or maybe after the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting a separator in file using awk/bash

I have a file with the following content: a-123-345-232 a-23343-4545-545 a-67676-45454-8787 a-129-8912-9824 b-564-78678-2322 b-5454-76767-8899 b-85554-124-152-29 c-34534-654543-323 (... and so on, actually these are pretty huge records) Now, I want that the file should not be broken in to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: askerbis
8 Replies
MAXDB_STMT_ERROR(3)							 1						       MAXDB_STMT_ERROR(3)

maxdb_stmt_error - Returns a string description for last statement error

Procedural style

SYNOPSIS
string maxdb_stmt_error (resource $stmt) DESCRIPTION
Object oriented style string$maxdb_stmt->error () For the statement specified by stmt, maxdb_stmt_error(3) returns a containing the error message for the most recently invoked statement function that can succeed or fail. RETURN VALUES
A string that describes the error. An empty string if no error occurred. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Object oriented style <?php /* Open a connection */ $maxdb = new maxdb("localhost", "MONA", "RED", "DEMODB"); /* check connection */ if (maxdb_connect_errno()) { printf("Connect failed: %s ", maxdb_connect_error()); exit(); } $maxdb->query("CREATE TABLE temp.mycity LIKE hotel.city"); $maxdb->query("INSERT INTO temp.mycity SELECT * FROM hotel.city"); $query = "SELECT name, zip FROM temp.mycity ORDER BY name"; if ($stmt = $maxdb->prepare($query)) { /* drop table */ $maxdb->query("DROP TABLE temp.mycity"); /* execute query */ $stmt->execute(); printf("Error: %s. ", $stmt->error); /* close statement */ $stmt->close(); } /* close connection */ $maxdb->close(); ?> Example #2 Procedural style <?php /* Open a connection */ $link = maxdb_connect("localhost", "MONA", "RED", "DEMODB"); /* check connection */ if (maxdb_connect_errno()) { printf("Connect failed: %s ", maxdb_connect_error()); exit(); } maxdb_query($link, "CREATE TABLE temp.mycity LIKE hotel.city"); maxdb_query($link, "INSERT INTO temp.mycity SELECT * FROM hotel.city"); $query = "SELECT name, zip FROM temp.mycity ORDER BY name"; if ($stmt = maxdb_prepare($link, $query)) { /* drop table */ maxdb_query($link, "DROP TABLE temp.mycity"); /* execute query */ maxdb_stmt_execute($stmt); printf("Error: %s. ", maxdb_stmt_error($stmt)); /* close statement */ maxdb_stmt_close($stmt); } /* close connection */ maxdb_close($link); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Warning: maxdb_stmt_execute(): -4004 POS(23) Unknown table name:MYCITY [42000] <...> Error: POS(23) Unknown table name:MYCITY. SEE ALSO
maxdb_stmt_errno(3), maxdb_stmt_sqlstate(3). PHP Documentation Group MAXDB_STMT_ERROR(3)