Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX memory usage by processes Post 303025192 by dim on Friday 26th of October 2018 11:44:45 AM
Old 10-26-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Have you tried ps aux? Or as madeingermany suggested, ps -e -o pid= -o rss= -o vsz= -o args= | sort -k2,2n ? What does it look like?
Great! As i read to your post, it seems that i get clear till now the performance of memory... that 's exactly how i think it works!

Now let's finalize with the process which use that much memory and push others to run in swap...

As i wrote in previous post, i ran the command as "madeingermany" proposed and the sum of the second column (sorted RSS) of every process, 4 times, devided by 1024, it gets almost 1GB... when my installed memory is 4GB! So, if by using this command i get only user processes (not system), based on nmon (75%), it should be 3GB! why is it 1GB?

What do i miss???? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory Usage in AIX

Hi All, I have a question, can you guys please help me by giving your valuable suggestons: I am using AIX 5L, running oracle 7 version. I need to increase the oracle memory to 40 MB more. Currently Oracle occupies 260M. I wanted to know whether I can increase the memory without any problem.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kollam68
1 Replies

2. AIX

Memory Usage in AIX

Hi All, I have a question, can you guys please help me by giving your valuable suggestons: I am using AIX 5L, running oracle 7 version. I need to increase the oracle memory to 40 MB more. Currently Oracle occupies 260M. I wanted to know whether I can increase the memory without any problem.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kollam68
3 Replies

3. AIX

High memory usage in AIX 5.1

Hi, We have AIX 5.1 machine of RAM 8 GB and paging space is 8GB. we are getting high memory usage of almost 99%.Can anybody please help in this ? Partial vmstat o/p kthr memory ----- ----------- r b avm fre 2 1 278727 1143 There is no paging issue.Becoz in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakumarrt
5 Replies

4. AIX

estimating memory usage by database processes

Hi Guys, I wonder what would be the best way to determine how much memory is in use on any given time by the database processes. I thought about using ipcs -m command but I wonder if there any better way to determine this. Thanks. Harby. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
2 Replies

5. AIX

Memory usage on AIX

How to check the memory usage on AIX by various processes? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aajmani
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 Physical Memory usage

Hi, I have AIX 5.3TL8 two node cluster using HACMP and have 10g database using RAW devices. I am seeing gradual increase in comp% memory everyday and it reaches 100% and evicts the node, we had 4 evictions in 40days. I am pasting vmstat and vmo output, anyone seen this issue? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navin7386
5 Replies

8. AIX

AIX memory usage always high

hi, I want to ask , my AIX 6.1 is always used about 97% memory. Is this normal ? or any command can free up memory like Linux ? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: virusxx
1 Replies

9. AIX

Identify All Processes memory and cpu usage.

Hi All, Anyone has script to monitor AIX total processes memory and cpu usage that contribute to the total memory and CPU utilize so far ? The purpose of this is to analyze process memory trend. Thanks. Best Regards, ckwan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
2 Replies

10. AIX

Memory usage in AIX server

Hi All, I have some questions regarding the performance, MEMORY/ Virtual Memory (paging /swap space) Please see the nmon-MEMORY stats from my AIX LPAR. 24 GB --> RAM 3456 MB --> Paging Space │ Memory ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── │... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
8 Replies
PRLIMIT(1)							   User Commands							PRLIMIT(1)

NAME
prlimit - get and set process resource limits SYNOPSIS
prlimit [options] [--resource[=limits] [--pid PID] prlimit [options] [--resource[=limits] command [argument...] DESCRIPTION
Given a process ID and one or more resources, prlimit tries to retrieve and/or modify the limits. When command is given, prlimit will run this command with the given arguments. The limits parameter is composed of a soft and a hard value, separated by a colon (:), in order to modify the existing values. If no lim- its are given, prlimit will display the current values. If one of the values is not given, then the existing one will be used. To specify the unlimited or infinity limit (RLIM_INFINITY), the -1 or 'unlimited' string can be passed. Because of the nature of limits, the soft limit must be lower or equal to the high limit (also called the ceiling). To see all available resource limits, refer to the RESOURCE OPTIONS section. soft:hard Specify both limits. soft: Specify only the soft limit. :hard Specify only the hard limit. value Specify both limits to the same value. GENERAL OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. --noheadings Do not print a header line. -o, --output list Define the output columns to use. If no output arrangement is specified, then a default set is used. Use --help to get a list of all supported columns. -p, --pid Specify the process id; if none is given, the running process will be used. --raw Use the raw output format. --verbose Verbose mode. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RESOURCE OPTIONS
-c, --core[=limits] Maximum size of a core file. -d, --data[=limits] Maximum data size. -e, --nice[=limits] Maximum nice priority allowed to raise. -f, --fsize[=limits] Maximum file size. -i, --sigpending[=limits] Maximum number of pending signals. -l, --memlock[=limits] Maximum locked-in-memory address space. -m, --rss[=limits] Maximum Resident Set Size (RSS). -n, --nofile[=limits] Maximum number of open files. -q, --msgqueue[=limits] Maximum number of bytes in POSIX message queues. -r, --rtprio[=limits] Maximum real-time priority. -s, --stack[=limits] Maximum size of the stack. -t, --cpu[=limits] CPU time, in seconds. -u, --nproc[=limits] Maximum number of processes. -v, --as[=limits] Address space limit. -x, --locks[=limits] Maximum number of file locks held. -y, --rttime[=limits] Timeout for real-time tasks. EXAMPLES
prlimit --pid 13134 Display limit values for all current resources. prlimit --pid 13134 --rss --nofile=1024:4095 Display the limits of the RSS, and set the soft and hard limits for the number of open files to 1024 and 4095, respectively. prlimit --pid 13134 --nproc=512: Modify only the soft limit for the number of processes. prlimit --pid $$ --nproc=unlimited Set for the current process both the soft and ceiling values for the number of processes to unlimited. prlimit --cpu=10 sort -u hugefile Set both the soft and hard CPU time limit to ten seconds and run 'sort'. SEE ALSO
ulimit(1), prlimit(2) NOTES
The prlimit system call is supported since Linux 2.6.36, older kernels will break this program. AUTHORS
Davidlohr Bueso <dave@gnu.org> - In memory of Dennis M. Ritchie. AVAILABILITY
The prlimit command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 PRLIMIT(1)