Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Solaris 9 Home Directory, Two Machines Sharing a NAS Post 303025145 by Stellaman1977 on Thursday 25th of October 2018 09:39:17 AM
Old 10-25-2018
Just to confirm- is this the best way to change someone's uid? (what I said in #12) I don't want to break the account.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

sharing a directory

Im trying to simply share a directory on one unix server and mount that share on a different unix server. There is no "share" command like on sun. What is the command to create a share on HP-UX? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bski
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Printer Sharing on a Mixed(Windows/Linux) Home Network

Sometimes you get the tiger...but sometimes he get you and this latest home network “project” of mine has gnawed on me pretty badly. Perhaps you can offer some technical help. It will be heartily appreciated. I have a small home network initially comprising two computers running Windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Annatar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounting NAS Drive on solaris

Hi, Im running 32-bit solaris on sparc. We have a NAS(Network attached drive), with its IP address, username and password. I'd like to be able to mount it on the solaris machine, and unmount it. The best possibility would be able to mount it simulataneously on 2 or more systems. Please... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
9 Replies

4. Solaris

NISuser home directory movement in Solaris

How to move home directory of NIS user from one system to another system in Solaris. Thanks & Regards Durgaprasad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh autologin issue when both machines are having same ~home directory

Hi, I have two machines. M1 and M2 and having a generic id catadm, these two machines having common mount of /u/catadm directory. with this setup, ssh autologin is failing for me and asking me to enter password when i try autologin using this generc id from M1 to M2 catadm-M1$ ssh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Sharing a local disk between to solaris machines

Hi, I recently added a disk on a solaris 9 and I wanted to make it accessible for another machine, using the same name here is what i did : On the machine holding the internal disk in vfstab i added the line /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s4 /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s4 /SHARED2 ufs 2 yes ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionassedo
2 Replies

7. Solaris

NFS with a NAS: permanently inconsistent directory state across clients

Hi, I am having some NFS directory consistency problems with the below setup on a local (192.) network: 1. Different permissions (chmod) for the same NFS dir are reflected on different clients. 2. (more serious) an NFS dir created on client1 cannot be accessed on client2; this applies to some... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmojetz
10 Replies
qmail-getpw(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    qmail-getpw(8)

NAME
qmail-getpw - give addresses to users SYNOPSIS
qmail-getpw local DESCRIPTION
In qmail, each user controls a vast array of local addresses. qmail-getpw finds the user that controls a particular address, local. It prints six pieces of information, each terminated by NUL: user; uid; gid; homedir; dash; and ext. The user's account name is user; the user's uid and gid in decimal are uid and gid; the user's home directory is homedir; and messages to local will be handled by home- dir/.qmaildashext. In case of trouble, qmail-getpw exits nonzero without printing anything. WARNING: The operating system's getpwnam function, which is at the heart of qmail-getpw, is inherently unreliable: it fails to distinguish between temporary errors and nonexistent users. Future versions of getpwnam should return ETXTBSY to indicate temporary errors and ESRCH to indicate nonexistent users. RULES
qmail-getpw considers an account in /etc/passwd to be a user if (1) the account has a nonzero uid, (2) the account's home directory exists (and is visible to qmail-getpw), and (3) the account owns its home directory. qmail-getpw ignores account names containing uppercase let- ters. qmail-getpw also assumes that all account names are shorter than 32 characters. qmail-getpw gives each user control over the basic user address and all addresses of the form user-anything. When local is user, dash and ext are both empty. When local is user-anything, dash is a hyphen and ext is anything. user may appear in any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters at the front of local. A catch-all user, alias, controls all other addresses. In this case ext is local and dash is a hyphen. You can override all of qmail-getpw's decisions with the qmail-users mechanism, which is reliable, highly configurable, and much faster than qmail-getpw. SEE ALSO
qmail-users(5), qmail-lspawn(8) qmail-getpw(8)