Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Easy seq Question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Easy seq Question Post 303025108 by Corona688 on Wednesday 24th of October 2018 01:31:37 PM
Old 10-24-2018
the seq command doesn't do anything but generate sequences. How about this?

printf "%d -\n" `seq 1 20`

which amounts to printf "%d -\n" 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy question

Hi, Simple question. How do I convert a unix text file to a dos text file? Thanks Helen (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

I know the Sun Solaries versions are ( 2.3 , 2.4 , 2.5 ... 7 , 8 ) . But some times I see sun os v5.x what does it mean ?? also what is the last new machine for sun and what are its details specifications . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamemi
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another easy question

Hello Again, Ok guys. Thanks again for your help last time but I am in need of your experience again. I wrote this script: #!/bin/sh # List either files or directories in individual accounts # using 1, 2 or 3 with invalid case $1 in echo select 1 to see the FILES in your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A easy question.

this is the simple question, please help me! the question is: how to send exactly 50 ICMP Echo request packets with 500 bytes of payload to 202.139.129.221? I tried to use ping -F 500 202.139.129.221, but it didn't work. Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikikaka
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy unix question

I am trying to check through all of a certain type of file in all main directories, and find the top 10 that are taking up the most space. How can I do that? I was thinking like du *.file | sort -n | head (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wallacer
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy AWK question

Ive got some output in a file that looks exactly like this: 1 ----------- 1542 1 record(s) selected. How do I just extract that 1542 and drop it into another file or (preferrably) a variable (using a ksh script) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hopefully an Easy Question

I have a file name in this format ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD_00.DAT I need to cut out the _00 out of the file name everytime. It could be _00, _01,_02, etc .... How do I cut it out to look as follows? ABC_WIRE_TRANS_YYYYMMDD.DAT (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question

Hi everybody: Could anybody tell me if I have several files which each one it has this pattern name: name1.dat name2.dat name3.dat name4.dat name10.dat name11.dat name30.dat If I would like create one like: name_total.dat If I do: paste name*.dat > name_total.dat (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy cat question

I am having problems getting a list of filenames that I want from a directory. example: I have 3 files - filename.xxx.20110505.123030 filename.yyy.20110505.123030 filename.zzz.20110505.123030 There may be multiple xxx,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Drenhead
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Easy Grep Question

This seems like an easy question, but I can't find an answer already posted. I want a command to return all of the lines in a file containing exactly a string I tried grep -x "372701" x.txt but this did not return anything I am just trying to search a file for lines which contain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrosecl
4 Replies
SEQ(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    SEQ(1)

NAME
seq -- print sequences of numbers SYNOPSIS
seq [-w] [-f format] [-s string] [-t string] [first [incr]] last DESCRIPTION
The seq utility prints a sequence of numbers, one per line (default), from first (default 1), to near last as possible, in increments of incr (default 1). When first is larger than last, the default incr is -1. All numbers are interpreted as floating point. Normally integer values are printed as decimal integers. The seq utility accepts the following options: -f format Use a printf(3) style format to print each number. Only the A, a, E, e, F, f, G, g, and % conversion characters are valid, along with any optional flags and an optional numeric minimum field width or precision. The format can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The default is %g. -s string Use string to separate numbers. The string can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The default is . -t string Use string to terminate sequence of numbers. The string can contain character escape sequences in backslash notation as defined in ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). This option is useful when the default separator does not contain a . -w Equalize the widths of all numbers by padding with zeros as necessary. This option has no effect with the -f option. If any sequence numbers will be printed in exponential notation, the default conversion is changed to %e. EXIT STATUS
The seq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
# seq 1 3 1 2 3 # seq 3 1 3 2 1 # seq -w 0 .05 .1 0.00 0.05 0.10 SEE ALSO
jot(1), printf(1), printf(3) HISTORY
The seq command first appeared in Plan 9 from Bell Labs. A seq command appeared in NetBSD 3.0, and ported to FreeBSD 9.0. This command was based on the command of the same name in Plan 9 from Bell Labs and the GNU core utilities. The GNU seq command first appeared in the 1.13 shell utilities release. BUGS
The -w option does not handle the transition from pure floating point to exponent representation very well. The seq command is not bug for bug compatible with the Plan 9 from Bell Labs or GNU versions of seq. BSD
September 10, 2013 BSD