Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable unexpectedly blank after piped loop Post 303024942 by RudiC on Saturday 20th of October 2018 06:50:26 AM
Old 10-20-2018
Yes - I should have mentioned my bash version: 4.4.19(1)-release

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Check if variable is set or blank

Hello guys. In my script, i have the following code: echo "The tarfile contains these directorys" tar -tf file.tar > tarlist.txt cat tarlist | awk -F/ '{print $1 "/" $2}' | nl echo "Enter path of the directory you want to extract or just press enter to extract everything: " read path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noratx
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check the variable values is blank

HI , I have to check the values of variable is blank or not. exm : ###test test1 var=`cate filename | head -1 | cut -c1-3` I need to check the first three character of 1st line . if it is blank .then exit or we need to process . Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: julirani
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix mail with blank line on variable

I am testing a ksh script for email. In the subject/content of the mail there is some dynamic variables like date and charges. However these variables occupied the entire line erase other in that particular line For e.g. there is a mail message: This mail is intent... Your total... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji.rengaraj
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH variable containing piped commands

Hi, I am trying to execute a bunch of piped command which are stored in a variable, but only one command executed at a time, and rest of the pipes, commands and their arguments are considered as argument to the very first command. Can you please help me in this? bash-2.05$ cat test.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prashant.ladha
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While loop seems to exit when blank line is met

Hello everyone! I am having an issue with a script I am trying to create. I have an input file (named sort_$1.txt) like: aaaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee and I process it with the following code: while read -r EachLine2 do (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: haaru
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ignore blank lines in while loop

Hi, i am having one text file it contains some blank lines and i want to ignore that blank lines . #! /bin/bash clear rdCount=0; while read myline do echo $myline let rdCount=$rdCount+1 done < ps.txt echo "Total line=$rdCount" and ps .txt contains the data- (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

append blank spaces at the end of a variable string

Hello, could you please help with this one. I have an input file like this: 123,4567,89000 123456789,9876543,12 and for the output I need strings to be with the fixed length, let's say 15, and if the string is -lt 15 to be populated with blanks at the end until it reach 15, like this: 123 ,4567... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apenkov
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use cut output as variable piped awk command

Hi, I would like use the output of my cut command as a variable in my following awk command. Here's what I've written. cut -f1 info.txt | awk -v i=xargs -F'' '{if($6 == $i) print $20}' summary.txt Where obviously the 'xargs' doesn't do what I want. How can I pass my cut result to my awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyooo
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)